Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here.  I have a Kindle and have downloaded lots of books.
I own Assisting Authors Online and hope to find out resources for authors
here.  I especially would like to know why authors give their books for free.
I am looking forward to meeting new authors and readers here.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Welcome to KB!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Hi Janis!!  8) Welcome to the boards!!

Authors give free books either

- to promote their other works. For example, if authors have a series, they've found it beneficial to give away the first book so that if readers like it, they'll buy the subsequent titles ...

- as part of Select. In the early days of Select, the giveaways raised a book's ranking so that it was displayed more prominently on Amazon, and that led to dozens or even hundreds of sales in the following days and weeks ...

- or with an attached request for reviews, which are especially important now because advertising sites only accept books with a certain number of high-ratings.

Some folks may have other reasons, too ...

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Hi Janis,

Welcome to the boards!  Nice to meet you.  Enjoy the community!  :)

Lee

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Janis Friesler said:
I am new here. I have a Kindle and have downloaded lots of books.
I own Assisting Authors Online and hope to find out resources for authors
here. I especially would like to know why authors give their books for free.
I am looking forward to meeting new authors and readers here.
Welcome, Janis! Great to meecha. Free books are the modern equivalent of a business card: they help consumers find an author, sample their work and hopefully encourage follow-up sales. They may also help bring in reviews, which can further increase an author's exposure. There are other nuances to going free, so it's not something to jump into without really learning of all the advantages and disadvantages.
Saul

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome to the boards, Janis! You've come to the right place to ask author questions.

I agree with what's been said above about free books, though I think it varies from writer to writer.

I don't tend to publish for the money (my origins come from writing and posting works on a website for free for many, many years). My main goal is to develop an audience at this point. I have a day job, so writing fiction is something I do on the side. I can afford to give away the first book in my series for free, hoping someone will give it a shot and want to continue reading the rest of the books as I release them. I see it somewhat like a free sample of food you get in a store. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts