Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am from the Chicago suburbs and I have had my Kindle 2 for about two months now - my husband also has one.

I found the KindleBoards when I was looking for book clubs. I joined so I could try out the Read with the Author book club for the Ark. I am new to book clubs, but I am really looking forward to it.

I am a computer person, but I am not much of a gadget person like my husband is. I have always loved to read, though, so the Kindle has truly enriched my life. The instant access to books has made all the difference (my reading level had significantly dropped off after getting married and having kids) and the availability of free classics has made it affordable (I still buy plenty, but I mix it up with free or cheap books and have stayed on budget). I can read now instead of just watching TV at night!

As a young person, I read mainly mystery and horror fiction with perhaps a little scifi. After college, I mainly read the classics. However, now that I have the Kindle, I want to mix it up a little and experiment with new genres - I want to become more familiar with contemporary works and sometimes just want to read something for the fun of it - a quick page turner. Engaging characters are the key for me. I have added many books to my Plan to Read list on Shelfari from suggestions on your forums.

I also use the Kindle to read to my boys at bedtime. Currently, I am reading them the Hobbit. My dad read it to me as a kid, so now I am passing it on.

Nice to meet you all!

Vonda

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Greetings and Welcome, Vonda! Sounds like you have been to our Book Corner. If so, you already know about the Bargain Books and Free Books. Did you notice the thread about additional sites for Book Lovers? Lots of sources for great reading listed there. Also wanted to mention that the Accessories area is a good place to explore if your are considering personalizing your Kindle. Posts about skins, covers, lights etc. Any questions about the Kindle (or most anything else) ask away. There are many very knowledgeable people here, one of them is almost sure to be able to help. Hope you continue to enjoy your Kindles and KindleBoards.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Welcome Vonda.  I'm new to the board as well.  I absolutely love it that you're reading the Hobbit to your boys.  That's some time they will cherish!

Happy Reading!

Maureen

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome Vonda!  It always nice to have another Illinoisan here at KindleBoards.  Enjoy your stay.
jp

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Vonda - it is so nice to have you here!  You will find a mixture of genres and prices.  That is one of the best things about us, you will find all kinds of good books recommended at really nice prices.

We are obsessive about our reading, so let us know what you are reading and what you think of it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome Vonda!  I'm in Central Illinois.  My husband has a kindle, too. 

1 - 9 of 9 Posts