Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THATS WHERE I TELL PEOPLE I AM FROM WHEN I TRAVEL TO TRAIN SALES PEOPLE FOR MY COMPANIES RESELLERS. ACTUALLY, I AM FROM HUNTINGTON ON LONG ISLAND, JUST OUTSIDE NYC. MY NAME IS ED. CLEARLY, I TRAVEL A LOT. I HAVE TRIED ABOUT 6 DIFFERENT READERS THROUGH THE YEARS UNTIL THE KINDLE CAME AROUND AND I FELL IN LOVE LAST YEAR. I FIGURE IT TOOK ME ABOUT 8 WEEKS FOR IT TO PAY FOR ITSELF AND  I AM NEVER WITH OUT IT, WELL ALMOST NEVER, JUST ASK MY WIFE.

ANYWAY, I HAVE BEEN HAUNTING THE BOARD AS A GUEST FOR A WEEK OR SO NOW AND FIGURED IT WAS TIME TO  FINALLY JOIN.  AND IF ANYONE HAS A  LINE ON A STRANGEDOG COVER FOR SALE,  ALMOST ANY STYLE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

ED

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Greetings and Welcome! You're in a great place for a Kindle lover. All of us love our Kindles or just the idea of the Kindle for those of us who have yet to receive one.Lots to do, learn or chat about here. Enjoy an welcome again.

·
Registered
137 Posts
edfleiss said:
IF ANYONE HAS A LINE ON A STRANGEDOG COVER FOR SALE, ALMOST ANY STYLE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
ED
Hi Ed:
Welcome to Kindle Boards! If you haven't checked it out yet, there's a Marketplace section on the board where folks post Kindles and accessories for sale, etc. Hope you find just what you're looking for!
Glynnis
Glynnis

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hi Ed, welcome. Glad to have you here.

You might want to disengage your CAPS LOCK key. In Internet etiquette all caps is considered shouting.

I grew up in Bayport and know LI well.

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
BrassMan said:
Hey, Ed--Welcome!

Is Huntington anywhere near Patchogue? I could find a map, but hey, you are right here!

Al
Patchogue is near where I grew up...two towns to the east (Bayport, Bellport, Patchogue). They are on the south shore. Huntington is across the island, north shore and a little further west towards New York City. Straight across the island from Patchogue is Stony Brook.

L

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I'll never forget that place...even though I've never been there. I had two friends who lived there for a while, so I used their memories to use Patchogue as the setting for a scene in Distant Cousin: Reincarnation. I still had to use a little creativity, but they told me I got it right.

Gotta be an Indian name. Wonder what it means?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hi Ed

Glad another Long Islander is here. that's 2 for Huntington and  1 Syosset

Leslie:

most of the towns here are named after the Indians tribes, or where their located on the Island.

BrassMan; Long Island in about 150 miles long and about 20 miles wide  so most of the towns are close to each other.   

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
about the CAPS, you were right, and my humblest apologies to all for shouting- posting after a 20 hour day is probably  a lame excuse, but all i have.

just fyi, the tribe was not the patchogues, i believe patchogue meant "meeting of rivers" the area of the patcogues was actaully home to the Unkechaug indians,  one of long islands 13 tribes and they were the equivalent of the Treasury department for the Iraqouis Nation, being the protectors of the Hardclam beds, from which Wampum was made, thier gold standard, i kid you not.

ed

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
tessa said:
BrassMan; Long Island in about 150 miles long and about 20 miles wide so most of the towns are close to each other.
Right. Thanks.

Funny story: those who've read Distant Cousin: Repatriation and Reincarnation will remember there's a member of the Mafia who figures in both stories. He ended up in Patchogue, which is why I needed a feel for the place.

Not long ago, I was contacted by a misplaced Nuyorican in Corpus Christi who absolutely loved the Mafia guy. He said he reminded him of the wise guys in the Bronx neighborhood he grew up with!

Is that wild?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Welcome, Ed, from a fellow Newbie!  This has got to be the most interesting "welcome" thread since 90% of the talk is about Internet etiquette and Indians on Long Island!!  :)

I am from Nj originally, by the way...central, on the Philadelphia side.  In fact, my hometown is on the Delaware directly across from Phila so I am from the land of sodas, hoagies and jimmies.....but that is another topic from another thread I was reading tonight??  ;D

Welcome, Ed!  I am jealous that you have your Kindle but look forward to your thoughts....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
<I am from Nj originally, by the way...central, on the Philadelphia side. In fact, my hometown is on the Delaware directly across from Phila so I am from the land of sodas, hoagies and jimmies.....but that is another topic from another thread I was reading tonight?? >

as opposed to where Pat's Steaks reigns supreme? where on the other side of the River- in my lost youth I was a student in philly- affectionately known locally as Temple-Os but lived in Cinnaminson - out on route 130 by the Pennsauken Mart. was an interesting place to be in the last 70's/early 80's during the rule of Rizzo's Raiders.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
edfleiss said:
<I am from Nj originally, by the way...central, on the Philadelphia side. In fact, my hometown is on the Delaware directly across from Phila so I am from the land of sodas, hoagies and jimmies.....but that is another topic from another thread I was reading tonight?? >

as opposed to where Pat's Steaks reigns supreme? where on the other side of the River- in my lost youth I was a student in philly- affectionately known locally as Temple-Os but lived in Cinnaminson - out on route 130 by the Pennsauken Mart. was an interesting place to be in the last 70's/early 80's during the rule of Rizzo's Raiders.
OH MY! I grew up in Riverside, just down Rt 130 from Cinnaminson....and had LOADS of friends in Cinnaminson! Did St. Charles have their annual carnival whilst you lived there?!?! St Charles always had the BEST carnival!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts