Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was born in Michigan, but I live in Minnesota. Sorta. I moved to Minnesota a few years ago, but family emergencies keep bringing me back to Michigan. The most recent one was my mother's terminal illness and she passed away a few weeks ago. It will be a few more weeks getting her affairs in order before I return home, and I've only been home 2 weeks since September. I'm homesick. My grandmother is in Minnesota, and I feel like I'm neglecting her and should be there to help her deal with the loss of my mother. That's how you know you're getting older -- when you need to be cloned to take care of all your responsibilities.

I love writing, reading, and pets. Buffy the Vampire Slayer and anything Joss Whedon related. Intelligent conversation. I'm married to a man who is way too good for me -- I know this because people keep telling me how nice he is, but I don't think many people tell him how nice I am. I'm good-hearted, ridiculously so, but I also have a sharp tongue. People tend to say to me about three months into knowing me, "when we first met, I was sure you didn't like me." So, yeah, it's a thing I have. The truth is that the nicer I am to you, the more I don't like you. When I'm sarcastic with you, it means I like you.

I bought a Kindle 2, because I'm out of room for books, and I keep misplacing them, starting more, and finding the missing ones after I've utterly forgotten where I am or what happened. I think I'm better off focusing on one device. Besides, I just had these great bookshelves built for my writing room, but they're full. I'm having a tough time waiting -- I ordered it over a month ago and rarely gave it a thought until the last week or so, and now I'm like a kid before Christmas who'd just downed her mother's milk and creme de cocao, because she thought it was chocolate milk.

Not that I did that.

Anyhow, this looks like an interesting board and I'm hoping to use and abuse it for book suggestions.  :)

PS: No, not Hibbing.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Greetings and Welcome, Michelle! With your love of reading and writing, you should love KindleBoards. And your Kindle. I hope that you will be able to go home soon. You are right, being an adult doesn't make everthing easier. If you need a place to vent, this is a good one.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hi and welcome you'll love it here

I'm so sorry about your mother, its very hard, but you are lucky that you have your grandmother.

Tessa

P.S. maybe your should look into one of those things that if you clap your hands it rings  and tape it on your Kindle cover  so your can find it faster.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hello Michelle and welcome! Sorry to hear about your mom. I have moved "back home" to help with my aging parents so I know what it is like being away from family and friends. Glad you found KB, hope you like it here.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone.

I don't think I'll lose the Kindle -- in fact, I think it will help to have all my reading consolidated in one place.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Michelle, Welcome. Glad you decided to join us during this tough time you're going through. I'm sure you'll love your Kindle. It will help with the storage issues. And I'm sure you've already read about all of the other wonderful advantages.
deb

MichelleR said:
PS: No, not Hibbing.
You've been lurking for a while. LOL.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Michelle!  Sorry to hear about your mom.

I had to reply to your post since I am also extremely sarcastic and there are just so many people who don't understand.  I get it from my dad whose philosophy was that if he didn't pick on you that meant he just didn't like you!! ;)

I lost him about 4 years ago and although the day to day gets easier, it is still hard on certain days.  This Wednesday is his birthday (and Ash Wednesday)... and I already know it will be a rough day for me.

Keep your chin up!!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Artie Lange avatar is suitable for you then -- not just for the sarcasm, but because of his relationship with his dad.

(Thank you for the welcomes.)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hi Didi
and
Michelle

So glad to meet you, even if you have been lurking  :mad:
I tend to be a tad sarcastic as well, probably why my only friends are on kindleboard a they are the only ones who understand me  :D  but glad to meet some fellow kindlers and sarcasters  ;D

Sorry about your mom Michelle, I had a friend once tell me that she thought of hers every day and that it made it easier - I do that as well and it feels as if she is still with me, as she is.

We are a warm friendly folk here and welcome  ;)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Michelle,

Sorry for your loss.  And I know being away from home just makes it harder.  I hope you can get home soon and that you can get through all you have to deal with right now.

Welcome to KB!  As you've already noticed, people here are willing to chat with you about anything and everybody is so nice. 

I'm from Minnesota too!!!  There are a few of us, but I haven't seen the others online lately.  What part of MN is your home now?  I'm from the Mpls area. 

You won't have much longer to wait for your K2.  You are probably even more excited than I am.  I had a K1 (loved it) and sold it when the K2 was announced.  I've been K-less for a week now.  The withdrawal has been very painful.  Only a few more days to wait!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm from the Iron Range. I really love it there. I fuss about the snow, but I've come to believe that we all have a place that's home and our compass always point in that direction. When I left it was still summer, but I guess if you're going to miss any season, you do aim to miss winter. The weather in Michigan is wretched at the moment -- we're on a lake and the whole house seems to be rattling with the winds.

I'm ridiculously excited, yes! I just know the packaging is going to annoy me while I try to get it open.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, I'll be fine -- it's anybody who gets between me and the package that you should be concerned over. Husband, a dog, the UPS driver... ;D

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
MichelleR said:
Oh, I'll be fine -- it's anybody who gets between me and the package that you should be concerned over. Husband, a dog, the UPS driver... ;D
Someone did post they almost attacked the UPS driver, and it turned out to be his mighty bright light ;D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts