Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an avid reader and have several thousand books in my home library. I can't finish a book without starting another one right away. I feel lost if I have to say that I'm not reading something.

My sister has a Kindle. I was certainly interested int he Kindle but was turned off by some things I read online. It doesn't do PDF. You can only buy books in one place (I buy books from Amazon all the time, overall Amazon ROCKS!). I have had a bookshelf at Fictionwise.com for years. One day I noticed that one of the multiformat downloads was Kindle Compatible (MOBI). That really piqued my interest. When I got together with my sister, I had her show me her Kindle and decided that's what I wanted for Christmas. I made my wishes known to my husband. He got online, using my Amazon account, to order a Kindle for me for Christmas. The confirming email came back with something like a 12-14 week delivery. Grumble, grumble. Drat, drat!

Then, Amazon announced the Kindle 2. My husband heard this and immediately told me to contact Amazon and make sure that I got the newer one and not the old one. A couple of days later, I was going through my email and there was one from Amazon. They cancelled my Kindle order and replaced it with the Kindle 2 and mine would be in the first shipment. I keep telling everyone, Amazon ROCKS! Without a doubt, they have the finest customer service of any organization on the planet.

My Kindle arrived the day before the announced release date. I had it in my hands! Everything about my Kindle experience (except maybe for the initial delay) was great. The shipping box was sleek and slim. The interior box was really elegant. The attention to detail was unbelievable, right down to the "Once upon a time..." on the pull tab on the interior wrapping paper. I don't know if any men out there were as impressed with the presentation as I, but it was like looking at a beautiful gourmet meal. (Yes, I kept the box!)

I turned it on and bought Ur by Stephen King. (My sister told me afterwards, I could have ordered it anytime and it would have been delivered into the shipping box - how cool is that?) I read Ur and found the reading experience to be comparable to reading a paper book.

When the Kindle arrived, I was in the middle of reading the hard cover edition of The Cathedral of the Sea. Not a huge tome, but heavy for me because I have arthritis in my hands. I also read in bed. (Yes, I have fallen asleep and dropped books on my face :))

I got out my Kindle, went to the Kindle store, bought the book I was reading, and it downloaded in seconds. I navigated to where I had left off in the paper edition and was happily reading with less pain in my hands.

The next day, when I checked my email, there was the receipt for The Cathedral of the Sea. I had expected to pay $14.99 for it. For some reason, unknown to me, Amazon gave me a $10.00 discount. How good was that? Not only was I reading with less pain, I had $10 more than I thought left on the giftcard my sister had given me for Christmas so I could "BUY BOOKS!"

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Madelonw--

Welcome to KindleBoards and congratulations on your Kindle!!!  What a great gift.  You're just starting to find out how wonderful it is!

Be sure to check out the Book Corner to learn about all the Free Books, Bargain Books and Recommended Books our members have posted about.  And, we have Book Klubs!

Congratulations on your first posts on KindleBoards, you'll find this is a GREAT community!

Betsy

·
Registered
552 Posts
madelonw1011 said:
I am an avid reader and have several thousand books in my home library. I can't finish a book without starting another one right away. I feel lost if I have to say that I'm not reading something.
Wow! There's someone else out there that feels the same way that I do! ;)

Hi there and a warm welcome.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Greetings and Welcome, Madelon! Glad you found KindleBoards.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Madelon - Welcome - you can buy books for your kindle other than at Amazon, however, I agree - AMAZON ROCKS!

I am surprised intinst did not direct you to Accessories, and other places around the kindleboards.  The Book Korner is the best place, IMHO but there are other terrific threads as well.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Since you insist, Anju. (and remember you said it first! ;) )
Here is a link to the Accessories area. There you will find all kinds of covers and skins and bags and lights and ... Well you get the idea. Another thread you might like is additional sites for Book Lovers. Lots of places other than Amazon for Kindle books, but yes, Amazon Rocks!
Hope you continue to love your Kindle and enjoy KindleBoards!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts