Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is about my 3rd pass at kBoards.

Much has changed each time. When I first started looking, anyone who could write erotica made money. Later, KU was the hot ticket, then 2.0. I'm not sure where things stand now.

I had lurked for a long time, but joined shortly after I was treated for cancer (2 tumors removed and radiation treatment over about a year). Shortly after that, my wife was diagnosed with cancer, and lost her battle after 22 difficult months, including 71 days in the hospital spread over her last 18 months, each stay usually preceded by an ER visit, and otherwise in fear of the next one. I had my 5 year checkup in January, and am all clear, but it was bittersweet after losing my wife along the way.

Anyway, she's been gone about 20 months now, I've come a long way in the grieving process, and starting to find some life again, and have been thinking about giving writing another try.

KBoards seems different once again.

Anyway, thought I'd say hello.

·
Registered
527 Posts
My condolences on the loss of your wife. In every breath you take for the rest of your life, you will breathe in a billion atoms that she also breathed - as will I and every other person reading here. We remain connected for evermore, out atoms remaining until the end of our solar system when they'll be dust in a nebula and be part of another star some billions of years from now.

I'm glad you won your battle, though. There will be added depths to your writing. I hope you write again - as long live our words, they give life to the characters of our minds, so a part of us can live on.  So, write. Let those stories live outside of you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. That must be so hard to deal with. I think writing again is a great idea and I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Welcome back! I'm so very sorry for your loss and the struggles you've been through with your health as well. Hopefully, writing will be therapeutic in some way. Things continue to change and evolve around here, but that's not necessarily bad--just different. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,088 Posts
It's great to see you, Blocked. I'm so sorry to hear of your wife's passing, and your own battle with cancer. How very, very hard. Hugs to you and yours. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It's been a difficult few years, that's for sure.

What ever happened to Data Guy? His website seems to just be a blank page (http://authorearnings.com).

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Blocked Writer said:
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It's been a difficult few years, that's for sure.

What ever happened to Data Guy? His website seems to just be a blank page (http://authorearnings.com).
Data Guy decided to make money with his stuff.

I'm sorry you had to go through all that. Losing a loved one really bites, but if you can translate your emotion into your writing it will be all the more powerful and perhaps touch others. It's a way for us humans to make some type of sense of loss, or at least make it matter.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Sorry to hear about your difficulties.

As for KBoards, it got bought by a big conglomerate. Be sure to read the new TOS. Everything you post here, they own. That's why a lot of folks are not here anymore, and some like me post a lot less.

KU is still around and still viable for some niches and genres. Wide is better for others, and it's less of a rollercoaster, e.g., if the Amazon elephant rolls over and crushes you, you have some other source of income. I'm happy to be wide for much of my catalog and in KU for some.

The competition is always ramping up, too. AA (formerly AMS) is very expensive now, and a lot of folks are migrating to other methods of advertising, such as FB or other social media.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, and your illness. Sending good wishes for your health and my condolences your way.

I think success with KU depends on the genre. I write primarily in contemporary romance now, and KU has been a great resource for me. It does well across the board (my older SF books do pretty well there), but the numbers are biggest in romance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You've certainly been through a difficult time. Welcome back and good luck with the writing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
David VanDyke said:
As for KBoards, it got bought by a big conglomerate. Be sure to read the new TOS. Everything you post here, they own. That's why a lot of folks are not here anymore, and some like me post a lot less.
Yeah, by crazy coincidence, I happened to stick my nose in at that time. Sad course of events...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh, and to those who suggest that my experience may add some dimension to my writing, I'll say both that I think so and I hope so.

Ironically, in my wife's last year we discovered the Hallmark Channel. The stories were light and always had a happy ending, and man we sure need that.

Most of my story ideas are probably falling into the Contemporary Romance genre w/Suspense as a sub-genre (although if terminal illness surfaces as an element in a story idea, then it might not necessarily end with HEA, but I suppose that all depends on how I choose to write it). Anyway, I'm thinking edgier than Hallmark w/suspense, real-life language and story lines, although perhaps not too steamy.

I know the overarching answer to this next question is "write a good book and market it well," but is there still a strong market for Romance with Suspense?

·
Registered
798 Posts
I just came back from a four-year break from KBoards, so I don't know you, but I'm also a cancer survivor, and dealing with a new diagnosis, so please accept a virtual hug and my sincere condolences for your loss. Writing has gotten me through some pretty terrible things. I hope getting back to your writing will be healing for you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DawnLee said:
I just came back from a four-year break from KBoards, so I don't know you, but I'm also a cancer survivor, and dealing with a new diagnosis, so please accept a virtual hug and my sincere condolences for your loss. Writing has gotten me through some pretty terrible things. I hope getting back to your writing will be healing for you.
Thanks for the kind words and virtual hug, DawnLee. "Cancer survivor" is a club I had never planned to join, let alone widower. :(
I will keep my fingers crossed re. your current diagnosis. Please accept a virtual hug from me too. Hang in there. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts