Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not ready for a 12 step program yet but I am going to keep an eye on myself...LOL

I have had my Kindle since late October and I LOVE it.  Fortunately for me I picked it up from the PO the same day Oprah turned the world onto this Amazing Machine.  OK, so I missed out on the $50 discount, but I had a very short wait for delivery.

I have been reading since I was five. I love Science Fiction and Fantasy and collecting How To books.  My home is full of books and I am hoping that my Kindle will help me free up some space.

I am not a US resident so I have to deal with the limitations that are set by Amazon that prevents me from buying Kindle Books from them.  I knew this when I bought my Kindle and I know I will be patient until they can see their way clear to open this up to the rest of the world. (or until I get a US bank to issue me a Credit Card....)

I hope to get tips from this Board and maybe find a place for answers when I need them and to help others when I can.

Cindy

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Welcome Aboard Cindy,

You've come to the right place; many of us have your same Kindle addiction.
Lots to read here and many tips and tricks for your Kindle; just make yourself at home.

Nice to meet you,

--sailor

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Hi Cindy, my name is Linda and I am a Kindleholic.  :) This is THE place to be if you have a passion for reading and your Kindle. We have a good time and there are great Kindle tips, book recommendations and don't let me forget accessories. We celebrated Kindle's birthday with 5 skin give aways from Decal Girl and there will be more fun things in the future. I look forward to reading more of your posts. If your Kindle has a name go to Kindle Name under Let's Talk Kindle and post your story. Nice to have you with us!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good Morning my fellow Kindlers,

Thank you for your warm welcome.

I have now browsed through the posts that intrigued me and am ready to jump in.

You seem to have wonderful senses of humor.  I think we will get along famously.

Cindy

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
cat616 said:
Good Morning my fellow Kindlers,

Thank you for your warm welcome.

I have now browsed through the posts that intrigued me and am ready to jump in.

You seem to have wonderful senses of humor. I think we will get along famously.

Cindy
Good morning to you Cindy and so happy to know you will be a regular here. :) We have lots of fun!

Happy Kindling

I

·
0 Posts
Howdy and welcome.

Have you tried a secure loan credit card?  You deposit money in an account and a bank gives you a credit card to use against that amount.  It can be any amount you want from usually $100.00 up. 

Most contracts last one year with options to renew and the money you have deposited does collect interest. 

This is how I got started in building my credit history up.  It may work for you.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vampyre,

I have not tried anything yet.  But thanks for the suggestion.  I actually said it kind of tongue in cheek ... must remember to use those emoticons.

I have plenty to read with all the free books out there.  Lots of classics to read again and others to start for the first time.  I have downloaded quite a few from Baen and this afternoon I am checking out Feedbooks.

I had forgotten all about the books I read in my formative years but searching through what is available is kindling my memory.  Sherlock Holmes, Trixi Belden, Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, PG Wodehouse, Kurk Vonnegut, and probably a few more memories and books yet to be rekindled. I had no idea Frank L. Baum had written more than 1 book based in OZ so I will tackle those too.

I should be able to get through this period of Amazon sorting out the copyright issue thing with out any need to find a way around it.  Besides, that would be cheating and I do not want to encourage anyone to circumvent the DRM laws and/or policies.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Buttercup said:
Welcome from another Kindleholic named Cindy!
Hi Cindy, Is your avatar a Sheltie? We used to have a black Sheltie. I really miss him.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hello Cindy and welcome to our obsession!! You will find that you will become as addicted to this board as you are your kindle!! :D

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
cat616 said:
I am not ready for a 12 step program yet but I am going to keep an eye on myself...LOL

I have had my Kindle since late October and I LOVE it. Fortunately for me I picked it up from the PO the same day Oprah turned the world onto this Amazing Machine. OK, so I missed out on the $50 discount, but I had a very short wait for delivery.

I have been reading since I was five. I love Science Fiction and Fantasy and collecting How To books. My home is full of books and I am hoping that my Kindle will help me free up some space.

I am not a US resident so I have to deal with the limitations that are set by Amazon that prevents me from buying Kindle Books from them. I knew this when I bought my Kindle and I know I will be patient until they can see their way clear to open this up to the rest of the world. (or until I get a US bank to issue me a Credit Card....)

I hope to get tips from this Board and maybe find a place for answers when I need them and to help others when I can.

Cindy
Cindy, welcome to the Boards!

Do you mind telling us where outside the US you are? I think it's great that you got your Kindle despite not being able to access the Whispernet. The real joy of the Kindle is in the reading, after all, and you can get th ebooks on there through the PC or SD cards. The Science Fiction and Fantasy contingent(s) are very active in the Book Corner, jump in and make some contributions! And go to Accessories for gift ideas for your Kindle. Find great tips in Tips & Tricks and Let's Talk Kindle, and chat about just about anything in Not Quite Kindle!

Betsy

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lets just say I am in an Island Country that is in the Mid Atlantic 640 miles off of the Coast of North Carolina.

I cannot purchase ebooks from Amazon because of the Policy not to sell them to anyone who is not a resident of the USA.  They police the policy by setting the criteria of purchases must be made using a Credit Card that is issued by a US bank.  That way a US resident overseas can make purchases from anywhere in the world but I, and others in my situation cannot.

Hey it could have been worse, they could have refused to sell me Libi.

I assume the Policy is set for copy write reasons and probably was made to encourage authors to submit their books for Kindle translation.  Maybe Amazon had to agree to this before major publishers would sign on.  I do not know the answer but I figure it will eventually sort itself out and in the mean time Libi & I have plenty of other books to keep us busy for a very long time.

Having said this, after I picked up Libi from a US address where she was shipped I was allowed to purchase a few books before they shut me out.  I had had the forethought to buy myself a gift certificate to use against my 1-click purchases.  They did not let me use the full value of the Certificate though.  They allowed me a little taste but that was all.

Betsy, I love your avatar.  I checked out your blog and your work is beautiful.  I am very interested in quilts and quilt making and presently have a project laid out on the living room floor ready for the sandwich stage.  It is my second quilt and so far I think it is looking pretty good.  Of course it is far from finished and I still have plenty of opportunity to mess it up.

Buttercup - Of course it is a Basset, I should have paid better attention to your footer.

Leslie - Thanks for the welcome.  I have read your book from Location 1 to Location 757.  Is is very helpful.

Angela - I am not retired yet so I cannot become as obsessed with this as some are. I am not going to name names but the guilty parties know who they are. ;D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts