Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - I am in Mexico, had never heard of Hibbing, Minnesota, prior to KB.  Today in church met a couple down here for the winter - from - guess where - HIBBING!

They don't know Betsy, they don't think so anyway since all I know is Betsy, nor her motther's name, but they said to tell Betsy "Hi"  ::)

Small world or not?

·
Registered
43,324 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
::laughs::

Here are my random happenstance stories related to a place close to Hibbing -- by remote MN standards that is, where it takes you an hour to get much of anywhere.

Before I living in MN, I lived in MI, about 900 miles away. The population of the town in MN is 4,000. So, I'm in MI working at a store and a couple come in. I convince them to give me their info for coupon. The last name is familiar and after some discussion I find out the man's aunt lives 2 doors from my grandmother.

A couple years later, still in MI, a woman calls and asks to speak to a co-worker. I take a message and the woman's last name is Babbitt, which is another little Northern MN town (pop. 1670). My brain filter fails and I tell this woman, "Oh, there is a town with your last name in the Iron Range of Northern MN." The woman says, "Excuse me," and I feel like a moron as I repeat myself. It turns out the woman is from Embarrass (pop. 691 ish) which is the town next to Babbitt and that her family thinks it's funny she married a guy with that last name.

I'm in MI again (very temporarily,) because of my mother's death, and struck up a conversation with a guy at a coffee shop -- his father's generation and older is from my town. Of course, the guy wouldn't just let me read and we had to talk about it a whole lot, and I'm just homesick.

Plus, I occasionally listen to Bob Dylan.  :D

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
It's my way. ;D

Not running in the marathon today? ;)
Gave running up when I blew out my knee. Never would have gone 26.2 miles, anyway

G

·
intinst said:
Gave running up when I blew out my knee. Never would have gone 26.2 miles, anyway
People criticize Internet message board junkies for having no life. But we're social lions compared to marathon runners. ;)

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Too cool, Anju! My mom would be so proud!

Anju, my mom's name was Pasalich; they may not know the Pasaliches, but they may very well know my good friends, Jon and Ginny Dolense. Jon was the orthodontist in town who straightened the teeth of most of the kids in town over many years; he just recently retired. In case you see them again.

Bacardi Jim said:
People criticize Internet message board junkies for having no life. But we're social lions compared to marathon runners. ;)
My husband has run 18 marathons. Trust me, he has no problems with a social life. We're the last ones to leave everywhere we go because he's deep in conversation with someone, often someone he'd never met before. Wait a minute, maybe that IS a problem. ;D

To get the audio from Jim's video out of your brain

Betsy

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just cannot do marathons, even when I was running  :D  but I did do "stations", felt that was as important.  I don't run anymore, hated every minute, did win a couple of 3rd place trophys - in my age group LOL - for 5 ks.

Betsy I am sure I will see them again next week, they have been there since we started this church.  I am sure they will be heading back before too long but right now the weather here is absolutely marvelous!

G

·
Back in the day when I was living off my GI Bill while attending community college in Visalia, CA, I had a semi interesting incident like the ones posted above.

There was this place that recycled paper that was also a spot for paying my phone bill.  I went there all the time.  One day, I get a phone call from Seattle Washington.

It turned out that the people all this paper got shipped to had the same last name as me and it's a semi uncommon name so we share ancestors somewhere.  

We go through our know family histories and they told me a lot about my dad's side of the family I never knew.  It was pretty freaky but interesting at the same time.

They got my number from my phone bill that was wrapped around one of the paper bales.

When I traveled a lot, I'd look up my last name in the larger cities.  Every now and then I'd find it.  

Going out to my mail box is all the marathon I need.  It's about 25 yards from the door.  That makes it a 50 yard round trip.  At least I'm not like my neighbor, she rides a golf cart out to hers sometimes.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Marathoners appreciate very much the people who staffed the stations, Anju!  My husband thanks you!

Enjoy the weather, it's cool and rainy here...(44), cooler than it is in Hibbing right now (52).  They're probably wearing shorts in Hibbing.

Betsy

G

·
It was 60 here the other day and I thought it was very comfortable but I saw people scurrying about in parkas.  It's been up in the mid 70's low 80's since then.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Marathoners appreciate very much the people who staffed the stations, Anju! My husband thanks you!

Enjoy the weather, it's cool and rainy here...(44), cooler than it is in Hibbing right now (52). They're probably wearing shorts in Hibbing.

Betsy
We stayed at a lodge on Third Crow Wing Lake, neat Nevis, MN several times over the years. Once when we went up mid-May, my wife and I were freezing almost the whole time, wearing long sleeves, jackets,etc. The locals were in t-shirts, tank tops and shorts. Made us feel even colder.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts