Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought y'all would enjoy this:

I used to do a lot of video work (tried to make it a business, but didn't quite make it), and have a couple of pretty price camcorders (in the four digit range - each). They've been laying idle for a while, and I decided it was time to get them up on eBay and get back a few bucks from them, since I don't do much of that sort of thing anymore.

Well, in typical fashion, when I went to test them out, neither of them wanted to work: both gave me a similar nebulous error code. I googled it, and found a veeery long thread about how other camcorder owners found a fix: whack the side of the camcorder. Hard.

I figured, what the heck? The stupid things weren't working anyway, and I wasn't about to pay several hundred dollars to have them repaired - I wouldn't make that back from selling them. So...WHACK! WHACK!

Believe it or not, after giving each one a couple of whacks on the side with the tape deck, they started working again!! Good grief...

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Oh crap, that means my ex-husband was right about whacking stuff.  Do you think I should call and apologize for not believing him?  Hahahaha.  No way!!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Hmm, from the sound of it maybe that's the *only* thing he was right about! ;D
How very perceptive you are.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Percussive maintenance should always be tried first.

After that, take it apart and put it back together again.  My husband does that. . .almost always fixes things.  Sometimes he has parts left over.  Sometimes they work better when he's done.

He's an engineer.  What can I say?

:)
Ann

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ann Von Hagel said:

After that, take it apart and put it back together again. My husband does that. . .almost always fixes things. Sometimes he has parts left over. Sometimes they work better when he's done.

He's an engineer. What can I say?

:)
Ann
LOL! Unfortunately when I try to do that, either the little teeny tiny screws disappear somewhere or a cat chases through my work area, scattering the parts... ;D

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
My first husband was a air plane mechanic for the Navy.  He always said that it said right in the manual, hit it with a hammer if all else fails....

Betsy

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Betsy the Quilter said:
My first husband was a air plane mechanic for the Navy. He always said that it said right in the manual, hit it with a hammer if all else fails....

Betsy
LOL! Well, there are definitely times when some of these cantankerous devices need to be hit with a hammer! ;D

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
chynared21 said:
Sometimes a good, swift kick will get the husband working too :p
kreelanwarrior said:
LOL! Well, there are definitely times when some of these cantankerous devices need to be hit with a hammer! ;D
So, that's what I did wrong! I should have hit the ex-husband with a hammer ;D

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
At the airplane manufacturing plant I work at, one of the "old timers" has a saying, "Don't Force It! Get a bigger hammer"
Ann Von Hagel said:
I have used this technique for years but didn't know the proper name for it!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Thought y'all would enjoy this:

I used to do a lot of video work (tried to make it a business, but didn't quite make it), and have a couple of pretty price camcorders (in the four digit range - each). They've been laying idle for a while, and I decided it was time to get them up on eBay and get back a few bucks from them, since I don't do much of that sort of thing anymore.

Well, in typical fashion, when I went to test them out, neither of them wanted to work: both gave me a similar nebulous error code. I googled it, and found a veeery long thread about how other camcorder owners found a fix: whack the side of the camcorder. Hard.

I figured, what the heck? The stupid things weren't working anyway, and I wasn't about to pay several hundred dollars to have them repaired - I wouldn't make that back from selling them. So...WHACK! WHACK!

Believe it or not, after giving each one a couple of whacks on the side with the tape deck, they started working again!! Good grief...
Gee thanks for giving away one of the key tech secrets. :)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gables Girl said:
Gee thanks for giving away one of the key tech secrets. :)
Well, I just had visions of the manufacturer's repair center, where some guy was whacking the side of the camcorders that came in and the company was charging the customers $400 for it!!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Hey...around here that's the Italian way...whack it.  The kid; upside the head.  The husband; upside the head.  The tv, vcr, toaster, fridge, one good whack. (Didn't work for the dryer though...had to get a new one.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts