Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My passion is to read anything that brings me back in time to the 19th century or the very early 1900s....historical fiction (particularly classics) and non-fiction.  My second passion is anything of historical fiction or non-fiction, even if from earlier centuries.  I'm not interested in the Greek classics.

I'd love to hear from others with their favorites from this time period!

Also, I'm reading Lady Chatterley's Lover for the very first time, still on Chapter 1 as I switch from book to book (as always).  If you've read this, what did you think of it? 

Thanks! 

·
Registered
261 Posts
libro said:
Also, I'm reading Lady Chatterley's Lover for the very first time, still on Chapter 1 as I switch from book to book (as always). If you've read this, what did you think of it?

Thanks!
I just read it a few weeks ago - mostly because it was free, and having heard it referenced so many times as such a naughty book, had to read it myself to see. I liked it, but could not get into the characters as much as I usually do. I thought Constance was too passive, but perhaps that was an accurate characterization given the time period.

Have you read Fanny Hill? it is similar, but I think I liked it better than LCL.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You might want to check out manybooks.com and  Feedbooks.com. They have many out of copyright books for free. Feedbooks has a guide that you can downloads on to your kindle.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Libro, I'm not clear...do you want stories written in the present day that take place in the 19th century? Or do you want stories written in the 19th century?

I have been on a tear and have read five great historical fiction books (three different authors) and two collections of short stories that all take place from 1795 - 1820 in the past few weeks. I posted links to all of them in the reader's recommendation thread. I can re-post them here if you are interested. Just so you know, they all feature a m/m romance, so if you don't like that, say so.

L

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Leslie, I'd love if you could repost them.  I've spent some time looking for your original post(s) and can't find the recommendations.  Sorry! 

I should have clarified....I meant present-day authors writing about 19th century/early 20th century, either fiction, nonfiction.  I'm just drawn to the period.

I even collect, although less frequently now, antique books from the 19th century (my earliest is 1853) on etiquette, morals, manners, and the like.  Strange, I know, but a fascinating glimpse into another age. 

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
This one I finished last week... It's 18th century, and a very good read.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
the emanciaptors wife--barbara hambly.

Also, if you want  to expand to the real thing--Anthony Trollope.  Laugh out loud funny.  And  free.  A bit earlier, and awesome, Jane Austen.  Also funny as heck.

Back in th US. Willa Cather (a bit later, but the same feel) and of course, Little Women. and again a little later, The Little house on the Prairie books.

What are you looking for exactly? the contrast from now, or how people lived then?   It sounds silly, but Trollpoe, say, can show you how people lived, and the little house books show some contrast.

Good luck with the search

Barbara M

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
This book took me away...for an almost 600 page book, I wish it lasted longer. Unfortunately it's not on the Kindle yet.

Here's the second book coming in at 720 pages...

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
libro said:
Hi Leslie, I'd love if you could repost them. I've spent some time looking for your original post(s) and can't find the recommendations. Sorry!
Okay, here you go!

By Lee Rowan:

Ransom

and its sequel:

Winds of Change

This book of three short stories features some back story on characters who pop up in both Ransom and Winds of Change:

Trilogy 109: Sail Away

Another book of three short stories, by Charlie Cochrane, Lee Rowan, and Erastes. All historical.

Trilogy 111: Speak Its Name

by Erastes, but not available at Amazon. However, the mobi version will work on your Kindle. One of the characters who shows up in the short story (above) pops up in this novella, too.

Frost Fair

Standish by Erastes is wonderful but unfortunately, it's not available in any ebook format. You can be sure that I have been bugging her about that! Here's a link to the paper version.

Standish

Last, but by no means least, Captain's Surrender by Alex Beecroft.

Captain's Surrender

I "know" (through online groups) all three of these authors and they are meticulous about their research so you can be sure they are true to the time period they are set in.

If you get as hooked as I am, you'll be pleased to know that Lee has the third book in her series coming out in January, 2009. Alex has a sequel to Captain's Surrender due out in April. Erastes has a book set during the English Civil War (1600s) coming out in April, 2009. Something to look forward to!

Let me know if you read any of these and if so, what you think.

L

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone, and thanks to Leslie for re-posting your original recommendations. I love seeing all the covers and reading the titles. Now I'm off to go "look inside." Something to keep me busy so I don't even think of the fact that I actually bypassed a refurb last night?!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Angela said:
I went to download a sample and it said it wasn't available yet so I put it on my wishlist.
Thanks for that. I actually bought this a while ago on Amazon used but never got to it, I will give it to someone and read
the K version.

An author I have enjoyed, is Sarah Waters, who writes lesbian themed victorian fiction...(I am not a lesbian, not that there is anything
wrong with that, just saying you do not have to be one to enjoy her books). Her first 3 her best, are not on Kindle format, yet.
Though they have been made into BBC films and are very good, esp: Fingersmith, about pick pockets.

This one is in Kindle format, but I must admit I was only able to get half way through, it also takes place just after WWII

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
This one I finished last week... It's 18th century, and a very good read.....

This looks very good to me, just downloaded the sample, thanks!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Oh I thought of a really good one! Alias Grace, by the wonderful Margaret Atwood (Handmaid's Tail) and based on one of Canada's most infamous murders.

I am not sure what is up with that ugly graphic though? Here is the cover of the DTV, which gives a slightly better feel...

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Oh, I remember that book. It was great.

The Weight of Water by Anita Shreve is similar to this one and also features a famous 19th century murder. Unfortunately, it is not available in a Kindle edition.

L

1 - 20 of 163 Posts