Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone tacked this notice onto the thread for "The Stand," but I wanted Douglas Adams fans to find this quickly (lest Amazon decide to remove it again!)!

Someone had mentioned that formatting in the other Kindle books in Adams' "trilogy" was flawed, but the next 3 in the series are still available, also for $6.39:

"Mostly Harmless," the last in the series is NOT available on Kindle (I don't recall if it was previously).

"The Salmon of Doubt," a posthumous collection of writings by Douglas Adams, including part of a final, unfinished novel, is also available for $6.39:

A bit too late for my vacation reading needs (as I longed for HGTTG, and The Stand in February!), but I finally have these back on my Kindle, ready to go! Oh, Happy Day!!! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
So if I own them already and have removed them from my Kindle (I read them and deleted them after finishing) will I get the corrected copies the next time I upload them?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
There is a lot of debate about whether this happens.  If you can remember some of the mistakes I'd love to see if you can notice any corrections to your redownloaded copy.  Let us know!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
At least as far as Hitchhiker's goes, they do appear to have corrected a number of errors.  I had the old sample (the book had disappeared before I could buy it) and I did a side by side comparison the other day.  Almost every error had been cleaned up.

I have the others (no, Mostly Harmless has not been Kindleized).  I just haven't gotten around to archiving them & then redownloading.  I'll try to do it today after writing down a few problem pages so I can check.

Edit:  Just tested the theory with "So Long...."  All the errors I noted are still present when the copy is redownloaded. :(  Considering that was 5 clear OCR errors in about 8 page turns, not good.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I believe the conclusion from a discussion some time ago was that corrections of books you already bought don't necessarily come to Kindle when you re-download.  You can, however, contact Amazon, explain the problem, have them refund your money and delete the book from your media library, and then buy it again.  They have done this for some when books were pulled then reissued with better formatting/editing even when the original purchase was more than 7 days past.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just started reading my download of HGTTG, and so far, it looks like the formatting is good, with few editing mistakes - glad it's back, and probably worth the wait! 

However, I've only downloaded samples of the 3 subsequent books currently available in the series, until I determine if those look too mistake-filled to buy yet. Any consensus of how badly converted these Kindleized versions are? If they're acceptable, I'd rather buy them now, rather than potentially miss the chance, should they get pulled later - but perhaps waiting for a "corrected" Kindle book is worth it?

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I found errors in my original copies but they didn't bother me too much. It was the first series were I was surprised by the number of errors though, so I guess there were a bunch since I actually noted that there were a bunch of errors.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
r0b0d0c said:
I've just started reading my download of HGTTG, and so far, it looks like the formatting is good, with few editing mistakes - glad it's back, and probably worth the wait!

However, I've only downloaded samples of the 3 subsequent books currently available in the series, until I determine if those look too mistake-filled to buy yet. Any consensus of how badly converted these Kindleized versions are? If they're acceptable, I'd rather buy them now, rather than potentially miss the chance, should they get pulled later - but perhaps waiting for a "corrected" Kindle book is worth it?
Truly? If I hadn't already bought them, I wouldn't, not at $6+ each. We're talking at least one error every other page-click or so. On ALL three sequels. To me, this is absolutely unacceptable. Most of the errors are OCR errors--two words blended together with no space, "Eartii" instead of "Earth", etc. It's pretty obvious they're not just typos from the original print versions. They're the worst commercially available ebook adaptations I've seen so far. They're so bad that I wouldn't recommend them to anything other than a die hard HGTG fan who was about to leave the country for six months & couldn't live without them.

I just was hoping that they'd be fixed when HGTG came back out, but obviously it's time to call Amazon with a list of errors as long as I can stand to make it.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I still have my old version of HHGTTG with all the errors on it.

The only way to get the revised book is to get Amazon to reimburse you, then buy the new book.

Sailor - Kindle is MIA

·
Registered
314 Posts
VictoriaP said:
Truly? If I hadn't already bought them, I wouldn't, not at $6+ each. We're talking at least one error every other page-click or so. On ALL three sequels. To me, this is absolutely unacceptable. Most of the errors are OCR errors--two words blended together with no space, "Eartii" instead of "Earth", etc. It's pretty obvious they're not just typos from the original print versions. They're the worst commercially available ebook adaptations I've seen so far. They're so bad that I wouldn't recommend them to anything other than a die hard HGTG fan who was about to leave the country for six months & couldn't live without them.

I just was hoping that they'd be fixed when HGTG came back out, but obviously it's time to call Amazon with a list of errors as long as I can stand to make it.
Man, that sounds awful, Victoria; that many errors would drive me up the wall. :-\ I've only downloaded the samples thus far and have yet to check them, but it looks like I'll only be buying the first volume for now. Thanks for the heads-up!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
VictoriaP said:
You're referring to the subsequent books in the series, right? Because almost 10% into HGTTG, I'm finding few errors, as I'd hoped.

Since Amazon never pulled the 3 sequels, I didn't expect those to be corrected. And it sounds like the errors in them are pretty bad, as you describe.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I'd definitely check the samples--perhaps they **have** been corrected at this point.  The errors are pretty noticeable, you won't miss them if they're there. I'll try to download the samples when I have the patience (probably not in the next hour or so!) & compare them to the books I bought back in March--if there's a difference, I'll definitely post it and also contact Amazon about getting mine swapped out.

And yes, r0b0d0c, all the books had problems--the first book appears to have been corrected as I compared the old saved sample I had with the new one. 

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Thank you for posting this, I clicked on this book to be made kindle every once in  a while for the past few months because I wanted them to bring it back! Im so glad they did

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
They are back again, yeah

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I saw the movie that was out some years ago, but have never read any of the books. I just went ahead and purchased the first one, and I expect to really enjoy it!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Is this book really as good as people say?  I'm having a hard time justifying to myself that $6+ is OK to spend on a book just over 300 pages.  I would be done in less than a day.  That would be like $180 a month. 6 x 30days.  I cant afford that, but if its worth it, and is a rereader, maybe.  but maybe I've just been spoiled by the freebies, and bargains ;)

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
bookfiend said:
Is this book really as good as people say? I'm having a hard time justifying to myself that $6+ is OK to spend on a book just over 300 pages. I would be done in less than a day. That would be like $180 a month. 6 x 30days. I cant afford that, but if its worth it, and is a rereader, maybe. but maybe I've just been spoiled by the freebies, and bargains ;)
It's definitely worth the money. But read the sample--if you don't like it, be forewarned that the rest of the book is written in the same vein.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts