Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I guess it's about time I posted a greeting since I've been trolling for awhile!  Name's Mimi and I've been a proud Kindle-owner for the better part of a year now.  I'm originally from NYC and found myself in a little hole in the wall in Arkansas, so I figured it would be a good investment since there's nothing to do here!  I should mention that I have a thing against Oprah (you'll find my rant in my blog along with some of my more recent book reviews at www.mimi-koh.blogspot.com) just because I think that way too many people are so greatly influenced by her "buy this now just because I said so!" when half the time she really doesn't have any insight on the product or book she's suggesting.  I know that will probably earn me quite a few flames, but I can't tell you how many people I suggested the Kindle to way back when that thought it was a waste....until Oprah told them to run and get it!

Looking forward to some great reading with you guys especially with the book klub!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi mimikoh.  It is always interesting to have someone around with very strong opinions.  I hope you enjoy Kindleboards as much as I do.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
mimikoh said:
So I guess it's about time I posted a greeting since I've been trolling for awhile! Name's Mimi and I've been a proud Kindle-owner for the better part of a year now. I'm originally from NYC and found myself in a little hole in the wall in Arkansas, so I figured it would be a good investment since there's nothing to do here! I should mention that I have a thing against Oprah (you'll find my rant in my blog along with some of my more recent book reviews at www.mimi-koh.blogspot.com) just because I think that way too many people are so greatly influenced by her "buy this now just because I said so!" when half the time she really doesn't have any insight on the product or book she's suggesting. I know that will probably earn me quite a few flames, but I can't tell you how many people I suggested the Kindle to way back when that thought it was a waste....until Oprah told them to run and get it!

Looking forward to some great reading with you guys especially with the book klub!
Welcome, Mimikoh!

You're in good company here in Kindleboards! COngratulations on your first post, see you in the Book Corner and Accessories!

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,319 Posts
I hear ya re: Oprah, Mimi.  She does a lot of good work and getting people to read more is some of it.  But I truly prefer to think for myself, and "because XXX said I should" is never a good reason for doing anything, no matter who XXX is!

Hey, it was my favorite gadget before it was hers!  :)

enjoy the forums!

Ann

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hi mimikoh! I am sort of your neighbor. I live in Shreveport La which is about 45 minutes from the AR border. I also notice you are a Japanaphile like me!

Oddly enough did you know kindle has manga now too?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had no idea!  Have any sites to share?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Welcome Mimi! That is my sister's nickname. I hope you enjoy the boards as much as I do. Some great free books in The Book Corner, I got 8 today & I am a happy Kindler  ;) Glad you plan to participate in the bookclubs.

Linda

G

·
Manga isn't "reading," but in Arkansas, it's practically considered literature. ;)

Howdy from Little Rock, Mimi. :)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
mimikoh said:
I should mention that I have a thing against Oprah (you'll find my rant in my blog along with some of my more recent book reviews at www.mimi-koh.blogspot.com) just because I think that way too many people are so greatly influenced by her "buy this now just because I said so!" when half the time she really doesn't have any insight on the product or book she's suggesting. I know that will probably earn me quite a few flames, but I can't tell you how many people I suggested the Kindle to way back when that thought it was a waste....until Oprah told them to run and get it!
Welcome Aboard Mimihoh,

I guess you read the book, Making Friends and Influencing People, eh? ;) No flaming from me here.

You can voice your opinion, and if I don't like it, I don't reply...unless it's a direct attack to me, or Our Troops. ;D

I can't agree with you enough on the O, there is nothing more for me to say on that subject.

As you have lurked around, I am sure you found the helps, hints and tips section on the boards, they will teach you a lot about your Kindle.

I'm so glad you came out of hiding to introduce yourself.

Nice to meet you,

-sailor

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mimikoh, Welcome.   

Attitude is a good thing.... just not always a broad-spectrum cover-all.

I admit I bought my Kindle during the Oprah show.   Heck, before they went to commercial, mine was ordered.    NOT because Oprah said it was wonderful.  The fifty dollar discount tripped my trigger.

I have desired a Kindle since the concept was initially launched .  When my Kindle arrived, I already had a few hundred books that I had collected over time. 

Not sure why I had Oprah on that day...but, am delighted that I did. No flames.  Just facts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bacardi Jim said:
Manga isn't "reading," but in Arkansas, it's practically considered literature. ;)

Howdy from Little Rock, Mimi. :)
I'm originally from NYC and have been in AR for about 3 years now, so I can poke fun as well as add to this comment! It may not be considered literature in AR, NY, or the moon, but it's another form of entertainment and you know as well as I do that there isn't much along the lines of entertainment in AR! ;D Beggars can't be choosers!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hi mimikoh and welcome to KindleBoards. I am in NE Texas, Longview area. Don't let BJ get to you... he likes to push buttons!  ;)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
mimikoh said:
I'm originally from NYC and have been in AR for about 3 years now, so I can poke fun as well as add to this comment! It may not be considered literature in AR, NY, or the moon, but it's another form of entertainment and you know as well as I do that there isn't much along the lines of entertainment in AR! ;D Beggars can't be choosers!
Hey Mimi...where in NYC were you originally from?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts