Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loved reading about everyone's collections but what about everyone's hobbies???

Besides reading, I love to crochet, knit (though nothing fancy) and cross stitch. A couple of projects I've done are for Mike Zerbe, the drummer for Air Supply. So far I've done two of them for him, matted and framed.

This is the first one and took me about 70 hours total time.


This one took about the same amount of time but I decided to add more colors to it. Sorry that the picture is so blurry but I had forgotten to take a picture of it and had to wait until the guys had gotten to Mexico where he took the picture and sent it to me ;-p


I also love to cook and I'm constantly experimenting. I hope to one day have a dream kitchen with slightly lower counters ;-p

So, what do you enjoy doing in your spare time???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
I crochet simple afghans and scarves. I read (duh). Love movies. Cooking. Rubber stamping - making handmade cards and scrapbooking. Photography - candids and scenic stuff. Drawing. Writing in my journal. shopping for shoes (tee hee). Daydreaming. Spending time with my bubbie. and lately..... Kindleboardaholic!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
Those are great!

I love to crochet and do counted cross stitch though I've not done the latter in a long time. Mostly I crochet afghans but have made a few stuffed toys that were fun.

Here's some of my work. Sorry, I got a bit carried away with pics, you can see more if you'd like at http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/



















and this is a fray quilt I made for my niece
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
I keep and breed tropical fish.

One of my freshwater tanks:



Some baby saltwater fish I bred:



And I clean up after lazy cats:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
Wow, those fish are beautiful.  What type are those freshwater fish?  I've never seen anything like them.  I used to have 2 55 gallon tanks and a 10 gallon set up here.  2 were community freshwater and one had an oscar, a green severum and a firemouth.  My favorites were always the loaches, especially the clowns and coolies (sp), oh, and of course my mono.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kirstin said:
I crochet simple afghans and scarves. I read (duh). Love movies. Cooking. Rubber stamping - making handmade cards and scrapbooking. Photography - candids and scenic stuff. Drawing. Writing in my journal. shopping for shoes (tee hee). Daydreaming. Spending time with my bubbie. and lately..... Kindleboardaholic!!
I dabble in scrapbooking too but not so much that it's a hobbie of mine. I've wanted to start making my own cards but I could see it costing me a fortune in doing so ;) I had a good chuckle at the shopping for shoes. It's amazing how they never notice anything that you wear unless it's new!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
chynared21 said:
I dabble in scrapbooking too but not so much that it's a hobbie of mine. I've wanted to start making my own cards but I could see it costing me a fortune in doing so ;) b]


I haven't done much scrapbooking lately as I don't have room where we are now to really spread out. And the cards can cost a fortune because you'll want all kinds of stuff for them but it is fun to do and everyone hangs on to them which makes me feel good. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buttercup said:
Those are great!

I love to crochet and do counted cross stitch though I've not done the latter in a long time. Mostly I crochet afghans but have made a few stuffed toys that were fun.

Here's some of my work. Sorry, I got a bit carried away with pics, you can see more if you'd like at http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Fantastic Buttercup!!! My daughter would love the pink/camo star shaped blanket!!! I'm going to have to check out your pictures :)

Lotus...those fish are beautiful. We don't do well with fish in this house :-( The lazy cat is a cutie too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kirstin said:
I haven't done much scrapbooking lately as I don't have room where we are now to really spread out. And the cards can cost a fortune because you'll want all kinds of stuff for them but it is fun to do and everyone hangs on to them which makes me feel good. :)
That's why I'm afraid to even start...I have so many neat things for scrapbooking but you are so right...I don't have the room to spread out either :-(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Buttercup said:
Wow, those fish are beautiful. What type are those freshwater fish? I've never seen anything like them. I used to have 2 55 gallon tanks and a 10 gallon set up here. 2 were community freshwater and one had an oscar, a green severum and a firemouth. My favorites were always the loaches, especially the clowns and coolies (sp), oh, and of course my mono.
Those are discus (in a 72g tank). We have a bunch of loaches. We have seven clown loaches, ranging in size from 4" to 9", plus various other loaches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
Lotus said:
Those are discus (in a 72g tank). We have a bunch of loaches. We have seven clown loaches, ranging in size from 4" to 9", plus various other loaches.
Ahh, discus, I've never had any of them and didn't know they came in such gorgeous colors. Someday I'd like to set up another tank but for now my mom has all 3 of mine, lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Hobbies? I read.  :eek:
I walk on my treadmill {this started as a medical necessity but now I am addicted!}
I do pastel pictures.
I enjoy planning my next trip. {my last one was to Lucca in Italy}
I enjoy learning new computer skills.
I write in my online diary.
I take photographs.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
I like to read, obviously. We all do!
I play on the computer.
I write fiction, although that has gotten stalled in recent months. But I have a historical fiction novel that is underway.
I enjoy movies.

I like to cook although not as much lately as I used to.
I know how to knit and used to knit alot but not so much these days. Same with sewing.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Previously I had been a scrapbook supply "collector".  Sounds strange, but I really just collected the supplies, I never really did much with them!  You see, I used to work for a company that manufactured adhesives for the scrapbooking business.  Work enough trade shows and you accumulate quite a stash!  Not to mention my sister is a Stampin Up demonstrator so I had her to fuel the fire also.  But the trouble was that (especially with nursing school) I never had time to haul everything out and start scrapping.  Plus, I don't think I'm very creative.  So I'd go through the trouble of hauling stuff out and then just sit there thinking "OK, now what?".  I ended up selling a bunch of the stuff at a large scrapbooking/stamping "garage" sale my sister knew about, and that's how I got the money to buy my Kindle!!!

About a year or so ago now I taught myself how to knit, and then a few months later to crochet.  I find it a very relaxing and rewarding hobby.  First, there are directions (a.k.a. a pattern) that tell you exactly how to do a project - no need to be creative!  Second, it doesn't require a huge investment in time - you just pull out your bag and knit or crochet for whatever amount of time you have.  It takes a split second to put the project away.

Unfortunately since Florence (my Kindle) came to live here last Friday, I haven't even touched the afghan I started for my daughter.  Better split my time between the two or I'll never have it ready for Christmas!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
And BTW, I LOVE seeing everyone's hobbies.  The cross-stitch items are beautiful.  And those afghans (my favorite is the blue star one on the bed!  Any chance you still have the pattern?).  The fish are gorgeous too!
 
G

·
Colleen, I totally sympathize about the knitting. At this rate, my poor man will have his new sweater sometime around Christmas 2009. And all I have left to do is finish the sleeves....hehe.

I have found that I can work in some knitting time while watching TV though. Never could get the hang of reading during commercials.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
colleen said:
And BTW, I LOVE seeing everyone's hobbies. The cross-stitch items are beautiful. And those afghans (my favorite is the blue star one on the bed! Any chance you still have the pattern?). The fish are gorgeous too!
Thanks!

Yes, I do have the pattern and not surprisingly it's called "Blue Star" and is found in this book


(wow, I did it!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
I know I can't be the only quilter in the group. I'm working on a Dear Jane quilt, a reproduction of a Civil War era quilt that has 169 blocks at 4.5 inches and they're all different. It also has 52 triangles in the border and four pieced corners. Some of the blocks have as many as fifty pieces in them and to say it's challenging is an understatement. I've been working at it for almost two years and am about two-thirds of the way done. I took a break from it this past summer to make a quilt all done in hand applique. Lets see...I also hook rugs from wool strips, do needlepoint and I guess it goes without saying that I enjoy reading and messing about on my computer.

Linda
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Wow, Linda, I admire you doing a Dear Jane quilt.  Although I'm a quilter, I'd never go there.  I'm more of a quick-n-dirty lap quilt kind of quilter (Turning Twenty, Yellow Brick Road, that sort of thing).  I like to get them pieced and onto my longarm and then onto the next.  I don't have the patience, or the skill, for the heirloom type of work, and I envy you for possessing both talents - maybe in my next life.

Tracey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Any kind of Solitaire
Anything to do with Baseball except play
Listening
Looking for new Authors
 
1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Top