Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Linky

From the blog post (not written by Nathan Bransford, but by a guest poster, Tracy Marchini):

"Don't get me wrong, I think this is brilliant. If you have a book that was already edited, reviewed and is languishing in your reverted rights pile, then why not put it back in circulation as an ebook and hit a new audience? But sometimes I think people miss the distinction between a successful indie that started with a traditional backlist and an indie that is starting from absolute, 100% scratch. Obviously, it can be done (see: Amanda Hocking, Victorine Lieski, David Dalglish), but it's a completely different animal, for sure."

Note the misspelling of Vicki's name 8)

G

·
Awesome stuff! Big Congrats to David for making it into that top tier. I would've loved to have been fourth on that list. /pityparty

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
foreverjuly said:
Awesome stuff! Big Congrats to David for making it into that top tier. I would've loved to have been fourth on that list. /pityparty
Um, I think McAfee will be next... no dis! :)

G

·
CraigInTwinCities said:
Um, I think McAfee will be next... no dis! :)
It's all good. There are lots of others out there who are way bigger than me and McAfee, to be perfectly honest about it. As I said elsewhere, I'd also probably be the worst celebrity because it would go to my head immediately and I'd start ranting and raving like a lunatic, as if I don't already.

Ryne Billings said:
If it's any consolation, I think you're pretty awesome.
It's a big consolation. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a comment I just made on the blog. Can you guys help me expand my list of successful indies who've done it without a traditional backlist? I can already see that I forgot McAfee.

______

"Obviously, it can be done (see: Amanda Hocking, Victorine Lieski, David Dalglish), but it's a completely different animal, for sure."

Some other names that can be added to this list of successful authors paying their bills without publishing traditionally published backlist:

Karen McQuestion, John Locke, BV Larson, Michael J Sullivan, Brian Pratt, Jason Letts, Zoe Winters, Monique Martin, JL Bryan, Nathan Lowell, Vicki Tyley, DB Henson, HP Mallory, Rhiannon Frater, John Rector, Boyd Morrison, Ty Johnston, Debora Geary, Martin Sharlow, Valmore Daniels, Aaron Patterson, Michael Wallace, and hordes of erotica writers.

I'm leaving out a ton of authors, but that's just off the top of my head. So I'm not sure it's correct to say that most of the indies who are doing really well started with publishing their traditionally published backlist. From all I've seen, that's probably not the case.

The ones with backlist stood out right away because they could get in the game with a lot of titles. But it's amazing how many people are doing well that don't have that traditionally published backlist of titles.

·
Registered
982 Posts
foreverjuly said:
It's all good. There are lots of others out there who are way bigger than me and McAfee, to be perfectly honest about it. As I said elsewhere, I'd also probably be the worst celebrity because it would go to my head immediately and I'd start ranting and raving like a lunatic, as if I don't already.

It's a big consolation. Thanks!
You're welcome. It's hard not to respect someone who tried to help me with my cover art when I started that thread a while back, after all.

Anyways, I read that article earlier today.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correction to the typo on my last post:

Can you guys help me expand my list of successful indies who've done it without a traditional backlist?

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Kind of interesting but why didn't he have someone post who had more experience than she does in the indie world? No reviews on Amazon yet?

Frankly, to me it reads like he's giving a chance for a puff post for a friend who needs sales. Nothing wrong with that but it isn't exactly a shining example of expertise. Look at her comments about advertising.

G

·
@Moses: SIXTH?? I just can't win today. No, I'm kidding. You should have made mention of the obscene number of downloads you've been getting! Also, you could toss in Imogen Rose.

Ryne Billings said:
You're welcome. It's hard not to respect someone who tried to help me with my cover art when I started that thread a while back, after all.
ehh, I realize I probably wasn't much help or even that nice about it. You've got to work with what you've got when you're on a budget. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions about anything.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Selena_Kitt said:
Oh look - I got a mention. ;D
Your name did go through my mind ;D

I hearby declare you ... queen of the horde.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
MosesSiregarIII said:
Here's a comment I just made on the blog. Can you guys help me expand my list of successful indies who did it with a traditional backlist? I can already see that I forgot McAfee.
May depend on how you define successful, but these authors at least hit the top 1000

Eric Christopherson I believe had no backlist
David Wood
Christopher Smith
Tony Eldridge
Dave Conifer
Daniel Leston

And those are just a few thriller authors I happen to have read. I'd be shocked if there weren't many others selling multiple thousand books a month. I know other people like Jeremy Robinson who put out some books with tradpub and some on their own - not backlist, they just choose to put some new work out themselves.

I like Nathan Bransford. But the phrase "I think sometimes people miss..." almost always precedes someone making a distinction that most knowledgeable people DON'T miss.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
foreverjuly said:
@Moses: SIXTH?? I just can't win today. No, I'm kidding. You should have made mention of the obscene number of downloads you've been getting!
Nah, I haven't achieved anything yet. Maybe some day. For now, I'm just another male cheerleader ;D

p.s. good call on Imogen Rose.

·
Registered
982 Posts
foreverjuly said:
ehh, I realize I probably wasn't much help or even that nice about it. You've got to work with what you've got when you're on a budget. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions about anything.
I value the input that I was given in that thread. It convinced me to make some changes.

And thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
edwardgtalbot said:
May depend on how you define successful, but these authors at least hit the top 1000

Eric Christopherson I believe had no backlist
David Wood
Christopher Smith
Tony Eldridge
Dave Conifer
Daniel Leston

And those are just a few thriller authors I happen to have read. I'd be shocked if there weren't many others selling multiple thousand books a month. I know other people like Jeremy Robinson who put out some books with tradpub and some on their own - not backlist, they just choose to put some new work out themselves.

I like Nathan Bransford. But the phrase "I think sometimes people miss..." almost always precedes someone making a distinction that most knowledgeable people DON'T miss.
Nathan Bransford didn't write this post. It's a guest post on his blog.

Thanks for the additional names, Edward. I definitely forget some of those.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Selena_Kitt said:
Well okay. Can I have minions? I've always wanted minions! :D
Only if you'll accept your minions in assless chaps.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Gee, I posted a thread with this link earlier and got exactly one reply.  Moses must be more popular than I am *looks sorrowful*.  Seriously, my issue with the post was that she stated that most successful indie authors were previously published, which I don't agree with.  At the most, I think the split is 50-50.  But at least she did mention several "pure" indie authors who've had great sales.

Victorine, I noticed she misspelled your name.  But it's nice that she mentioned several of our KB people, even so.  You guys are famous!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts