Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go to Kindlebooks on Amazon and sort from lowest to highest in price....
There are so many I don't know where to begin!!!
Pages and Pages and Pages of freebies....I scanned through 67 pages worth before I got tired of hitting next; and they were still going strong!!!

I think I will start sorting by 4 stars and up; but even that is a lot of clicking back and forth to pull up the synopsis. Like I said 67 pages worth (about 700 books) and still going strong. WOW!!!

LINK: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fs%3Fie%3DUTF8%26rs%3D133140011%26sort%3Dprice%26ref%255F%3Dsr%255Fst%26qid%3D1233435685%26rh%3Dn%253A133140011%26page%3D1&tag=kbpst-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Yes, these are public domain books. They're all available form various places (Gutenberg.org, Freebooks, etc.). Hopefully they took the time to do some formatting rather than just putting the plain text version out there. By the way, they should all be copyrighted before 1923, I believe, which puts them into the public domain.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew that they would be public domain works...that much was obvious given all the dates; but it is nice to be able to sort by user review to weed through and select all the goodies.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I also sorta like the idea of reading books that were first published earlier and comparing the writing styles  :-\

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree.  It's like blending 2 worlds together.  I love it.  I still remember the first time I read Pride and Prejudice and Little Women...I was mesmerized!!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Anju said:
I also sorta like the idea of reading books that were first published earlier and comparing the writing styles :-\
Yeah, it's interesting to how it's changed over the years.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
It appears to me that Amazon may be trying to pad the number of books in "awz" format for their ads for the new Kindle2.

Steve

·
Registered
736 Posts
stevene9 said:
It appears to me that Amazon may be trying to pad the number of books in "awz" format for their ads for the new Kindle2.

Steve
I'm with you, Steve....I think it has something to do with the announcement at the February 9th press conference.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
stevene9 said:
Yes, do you think the timing is a little more than coincidence.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought the very same thing:  All of a sudden something else besides the "Made to Stick" that's been up for months...lol.  It's all a numbers game...

Little do they know; they still did me favor because they are now all in one spot and I don't have to go from feedbooks. to manybooks etc...etc....

·
Registered
736 Posts
I don't have my Kindle yet....still in waiting for early March delivery.  Can any Kindlers out there tell me if these free general domain downloads are formatted well and easy to read...the same as very current books, for example?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Straight from Gutenberg they are not formatted well for the Kindle. Manybooks and Feedbooks are generally well formatted although there are some exceptions. What the ones on Amazon are like, I have no idea.

·
Registered
335 Posts
There are quite a few free books. But frankly, not a lot of those books really interested me...

·
Registered
339 Posts
libro said:
Can any Kindlers out there tell me if these free general domain downloads are formatted well and easy to read...the same as very current books, for example?
I got a bunch of these "new" free books and the ones that I have looked at seem to be formatted well. Although, most of the ones that I have read are in the sciences, so I can't speak for all of them. But I guess it is obvious that I can't speak for all of them; I am a quick reader, but not that fast!! :D

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I find it unfortunate that when I selected a couple of these public domain freebies that it was not ready to read in seconds as they say. I had to email it (Edgar Allen Poe- The Raven) to amazon to convert as it was adobe acrobat. I first tried to email button from my media library and low and behold the whole poem was in the email. I then saved to my computer and emailed that. I hope to get back an AZW file that can go on the kindle. easy enough but unexpected.  how many are AZW?

Sylvia

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Who knows....I sorted through 67 pages and got tired.  I usually have very good luck with feedbooks.com and manybooks.net.  I have downloaded four of the titles but haven't had time to check them out.  If they are in azw format; I'm hitting delete in the content manager...and will find them elsewhere.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I downloaded Tales of the Jazz Age and it doesn't seem to be very well formatted. There's no table of contents, and it looks like all the stories run into each other with just the title separating the paragraphs from one story to another (no spacing between the stories). I haven't read any of it yet to see if it's full of typos or not. Kind of disappointing for that particular book.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm pretty new here but I scrolled through and found a LOT of free books that are definitely not public domain.  If you select a genre, it's not so insurmountable...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts