Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sometimes go over to Kindle Nation Daily's tracker to see how many new books are being offered up free.

On a typical day, it's around 450 free books that just went free THAT day. This does not count books on day 2 or more of their free run, or perma free books (unless it's their first day of perma free.)

But today, Christmas day, I went in to count them. Between midnight and 8 p.m. Christmas Day, the newly free book tally was:

Whoa.

Read a book a day for six years, people.

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
Wow, sounds like I'd better get over to Amazon and see if they've got any freebies I want to load up on. Of course I have about fifty unread freebies sitting on my Kindle now ...

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the risk of sounding like a Christmas orphan (an ice storm means I am trapped away from family and just waiting for a thaw), I have been watching all sorts of trends on my books.

Today:

20 sales on BN
4 sales on Kindle
10 give aways on Kindle of my perma-free book (normally 50 a day), so probably buried in the other free books.
iTunes has blocked our ability to view sales until the 28th (what, do people manually put those in or something...grrr)
1 sold on Kobo (HA, finally sold one again--was selling 1 a day until Dec. 3 then NADA, ZIP, ZILCH!)

All in all, not a bad day so far.
GO TO BED PEOPLE AND PULL OUT YOUR NEW EREADERS!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jackz4000 said:
ereaderiq has 9295 Free's at this moment. CRAZY.
Yeah, that includes all the price matched perma frees.

I was too frightened to look there. :eek:

Thanks for checking!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The day after select went live I believe there were 6000 freebies as well.  But today, it's a wonder that anyone is getting sales considering the free windfall out there. 

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
amishromanceauthor said:
The day after select went live I believe there were 6000 freebies as well. But today, it's a wonder that anyone is getting sales considering the free windfall out there.
Figured lots of folks would try a Christmas free promo, but wow! Glad my freebie ended last night. Good run, too. Made it to #3 in SciFi and sold lots of the other book in the series. But I guess I'll be sticking with a price tag for a while. Maybe forever, if this trend continues.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
My Pursuit and Ielle are two of those.  But I will say they're moving just fine anyway, so somehow they're getting through to the right folks.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
OK, I feel stupid, but I haven't looked for free books in a long time.

First they were side by side in the categories.
Then you went to the category and at the top was an option to pick that sent you to the corresponding free page.

Now, I can't find the free stuff in my categories. Help? Am I blind? Is it the turkey coma we were talking about elsewhere?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I can't quite see the point of having a promo on/after Xmas.  I did mine running up to it and it's seen some good sales since.  New Kindle owners are looking to BUY books after they open their Kindles.  They probably won't even find out about frees for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
TexasGirl said:
Today:

20 sales on BN
How do you see this? My pubit sales don't update until the following day, and sometimes not even until two days later. Ranking seems to update only once a day as well. Share your knowledge! :)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #539 Free in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Free in Kindle Store)
   #13 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Fiction > Genre Fiction > Science Fiction
   #2 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Fiction > Genre Fiction > Science Fiction > High Tech
   #5 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Fiction > Genre Fiction > Science Fiction > Adventure

I'm pretty happy with my freebie today.  I have one more day free, then ads the rest of the week leading up to New Years, then one final ad on January 3rd.  We'll have to see what happens.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
I usually check on ereaderiq and I check only genre's I am interested in. On average days I get 2 pages, maybe 3. Today I saw 7. But I didn't see anything that interested me and the majority, I would say 60-70 percent didn't even look like they belonged in the genre I was looking at.  ???. Does everyone just throw their books into every category they can?
Many were also short thingies. So I ended up getting none, even though in theory there was more to pick from.

Its funny, the more free stuff there is, the less I get. I buy way more books now. I have shifted more to looking at sites offering lowered in price books rather than free.

I think many readers just look at the bestseller list and pick from the freebies there if needed.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Atunah said:
Its funny, the more free stuff there is, the less I get. I buy way more books now. I have shifted more to looking at sites offering lowered in price books rather than free.

I think many readers just look at the bestseller list and pick from the freebies there if needed.
I rarely take a free book but today I took two (and purchased one)...and most of the time I only look at the best seller lists, but today I got a book each from Freebooksy and KND because I ran ads on both those websites and was there checking on it.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Caitie Quinn said:
Anyone? Still haven't found them.
I don't know how to find them either - I only know to look at my rank on my Clutch page and that's where I see the side by side comparisons of free and paid.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
headofwords said:
I can't quite see the point of having a promo on/after Xmas. I did mine running up to it and it's seen some good sales since. New Kindle owners are looking to BUY books after they open their Kindles. They probably won't even find out about frees for a couple of weeks.
The point of having a promo on Christmas is to get them hooked on a series as soon as they start filling their Kindle. As far as finding out about frees--they're not exactly hidden. Look at the best seller list and there they are. Freedom's Sword is at the top of the War Fiction and 3rd on the Historical Fiction list. I rather suspect it will be pretty easy to find.

Like Atunah, I rarely bother with freebies to read myself but as long as it promotes sales, I don't consider myself too good to use it. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts