Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching HGTV last night and they had a show of their Top 10 Libraries--the kind people have in their homes.  Such inviting rooms with tall shelves filled with beautiful books that made me want to curl up and read all day!

I have always dreamed of having a library in my home.  As far back as high school, I would look for hardback copies of classics that I thought I should read (or at least own) or of my favorite books , especially in the Bargain section of the bookstore or at used book sales, to start building a collection.  With my Kindle now, I'm kind of torn--do I keep all these books (many in boxes) and keep collecting in hopes that someday I'll have a nice library in which to display them, or do I just download them all (classics for free) and drop my boxes off at Goodwill?  My "library" could then just be a nook or a bay window with a tiny shelf displaying LyBerry!  :-\

In the meantime, I do have a nice quiet corner in my study with a large plush armchair and my avatar painting hanging overhead, where I do my reading.  It's been re-dubbed my Kindle Corner.

Anybody else out there have, or dream of having, a library in their home?

N :)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Having a dedicated library was a long time dream of mine.  I actually got to live that dream for a year not too long ago.  There was only one wall in the room, but I had it lined with book cases and they were all filled to overflowing.  I had a comfy recliner, a table beside it, and a perfect reading light. 

Now that I have Little Gertie, I don't miss it.  I have a reading corner in my bedroom, but I most often end up reading in bed. 

At least I got to live that beautiful dream.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I've always wanted a room to call a library...nothing as grand as on tv but just a room devoted to books and being able to curl up on that still sought after perfect reading chair and escaping reality for a spell. I still want that round chair that I talked about a while back...I think it was a reading chair thread...I just need a house big enough for it :p

I'd also like for my library to have a lot of natural light...I love the sun but don't like to bake myself under it. A small table for my beverage of choice to my right and a crackling fire place would make me a very happy woman ;-) I'm sure there are more features and items that I'd like in my dream library but what I've mentioned is a great starting point for me.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I got six of them.

Packed bookshelf in the family room, takes up a whole wall.

Packed bookshelves in all the kids rooms.

Two packed bookshelves in my room.

And a packed bookshelf in my den.

My wife is really happy I got a kindle as the DTB's were starting to accumulate on my dresser too.  :D

But I know what you mean, it would be nice to have one room dedicated to our books, couple of leather wingback chairs, ottoman and maybe a fireplace.

My den is pretty close to having a dedicated reading room, but I couldn't fit all my books in here.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Oh, yes!  I'm still waiting for mine :)  I have visions of a library with a rolling ladder to reach the high shelves, which are all around the walls, with plenty of comfy chairs and lamps and a couple of tables in the center.  I also want a dedicated music room with a grand piano (or two!), harp, harpsichord, full percussion section, and plenty of wind instruments, too, since we're dreaming.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Hearst Castle library. IIRC the guide said Harpo Marx like to push all the chairs aside and do gymnastics in the room.

Wish I had digital pictures from when we toured the Biltmore.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The internet is a wonderful thing, photos of the Biltmore's library. IMO as neat as the Hearst Castle was, the Biltmore was far cooler.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I don't have a library, but I do have a sitting room. It's probably what many people would think of as a library, just without all the books. It's a room that is only accessible from my bedroom (yes, this is where I still have my Christmas tree up for those of you who follow me on twitter :) ) This is where I come when I need to get away. There is a bookcase, but for the most part, it holds knick-knacks and all of my crochet pattern books (I have hundreds of them). I don't have many books because I gave the majority of them away when I got my first Kindle.

We have 3 large bookcases down in the school room and there are bookcases in each of my children's rooms. All of them are overflowing.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
chynared21 said:
Oh shoot...thanks Forster, I forgot about my library's ceiling :p
LOL, IIRC most if not all of the ceilings in the Castle were imported from Europe during/after the War.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Forster said:
The internet is a wonderful thing, photos of the Biltmore's library. IMO as neat as the Hearst Castle was, the Biltmore was far cooler.
I have to agree...it has the spiral staircase to the "second" floor :)
Forster said:
LOL, IIRC most if not all of the ceilings in the Castle were imported from Europe during/after the War.
Stunning ceiling!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Love the pictures, Forster!  Although not all of the chairs in them look that comfy... :-\  I kind of thought a lot of the chairs on the HGTV show didn't look very comfortable either.  Chynared is right: a perfect reading chair is hard to find. :(

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Neekeebee said:
Love the pictures, Forster! Although not all of the chairs in them look that comfy... :-\ I kind of thought a lot of the chairs on the HGTV show didn't look very comfortable either. Chynared is right: a perfect reading chair is hard to find. :(

This is the chair I want but it's pretty expensive...it's about midway down the thread.

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,967.25.html

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Right now I have 5 6 ft. bookcases, full of books and am getting rid of them slowly.  Probably will take a suitcase full to Brazil next year and leave with family.  Maybe next trip to US take a suitcase and send to the soldiers.  Selling isn't worth the money.  In my previous life I had two rooms floor to ceiling with one wall each with books, mostly pb and moved here with 9 books.  The books I will keep are not kindelized yet, but as soon as they are - out they go!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I had a library room in my old house, now I just have 3 walls of book cases in the bedroom and 1 in the living room. I still have books in boxes in the garage though.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Love those pictures, but I think there's not enough natural light in those rooms!

I have bookshelves in every room of the house except the kitchen, the bathrooms, and my bedroom  --  in there I have just the next-dozen-on-the-list books stacked next to the bed. 

I'd really like to have a dedicated room but there isn't enough wall space in any one room for all the shelves. (I have big windows.)

I also have a cathedral ceiling in the living room, and considered having shelves built up all the way, with a rolling ladder and all.  Only decided against it because I thought I'd stay in this house forever and didn't see myself having to climb ladders in my 90's.  (I was probably 35 when I made this decision...  I tend to worry about worst-case stuff.  ::)

Does anyone else organize their bookshelves by themes (and then by authors within those themes), or is it just me?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
LOL not just you, mine are organized by topic, generally. So classical antiquity on one shelf, historical fiction on another, travel, Hinduism ect. Cookbooks are organized by author or subject IE Mexican and BBQ each have their own areas as does Baking, Cuisines of the Indian subcontinent, Persian, Greek, beverages ect. 

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Thumper said:
My library:

It makes me happy :)
Wow, nice. That would make me happy too.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
known fact in my family: if you are going to look for the book, look anywhere in my room. its under my bed, in my closet, on what is supposed to be my cd/dvd case, surrounding my tv (minus the screen part), under my keyboard, in plastic drawers at the end of my bed...on top my dress drawers....my bedroom is a fire hazard.

BUT my dream library would include a huge bay window like:

Complete with a nook to sit/lie upon and read. under the nook should be shelves for my books and a desk should be in the room...all hardwood
This with short white book shelves would be nice

1 - 20 of 29 Posts