Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure if this should go here, or if it should go in photos... so I apologize if I have it wrong :) I have asked for a Oberon cover as an anniversary gift, so this is my fix until then.

I started off with the plan to create a whole new cover for the kindle using some flexible plastic stuff I had, but in the end it worked better to just shove the cover the kindle comes with into the slip cover. If I had thought to do that from the beginning, it probably would have taken me less time and the cover would be trimmer (no need for the extra padding I added on the front). I may give it another go next weekend and come up with a template/instructions.

Anyway, here it my new home sewn cover. Its made of a dusty purple canvas and a quilters cotton. I have lots of "pockets" on the inside and used velcro to keep it in place.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
OMG that is absolutely gorgeous!! I would post it here in accessories and in photos. How in the world did you do that?
Well if someone is wanting to make a slip cover to go over the standard cover, it is/would be surprisingly easy. You just need the fabric, an iron, velcro, sewing machine, and the ability to sew a straight stitch. To do it, I did cut off the wing things that stick up off the original cover to hold the kindle in place, and cut off the elastic. I think I may try another go of it now that I know its easier to make a "slip cover" rather than an entire new cover.... if I do I will document and write up some instructions how to do it.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
patchymama said:
Well if someone is wanting to make a slip cover to go over the standard cover, it is/would be surprisingly easy. You just need the fabric, an iron, velcro, sewing machine, and the ability to sew a straight stitch. To do it, I did cut off the wing things that stick up off the original cover to hold the kindle in place, and cut off the elastic. I think I may try another go of it now that I know its easier to make a "slip cover" rather than an entire new cover.... if I do I will document and write up some instructions how to do it.
Beautiful cover!

I don't have my Kindle yet but I have been thinking of ways to make a cover to go over the original cover (unchanged) similar to DT book covers. I have thought of a few different methods to try. Your cover has given me some additional ideas to try when Kindle-to-be eventually arrives.

Thanks for posting this!
Anna

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
That's gorgeous! Very good looking & should add even more protection for the Kindle. You do nice work.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Patchymama -

I love the results of your efforts.  I really like the sunshine design on the back (front?) cover.

Do post instructions from your next go around. That would be so helpful.  Not that I would be able to do, LOL, that's what my Mom may try  ;D

Marci

·
Registered
5 Posts
NICE JOB!!!
What is an Oberon cover, and where did you get the stick-ons for the face of the Kindle?

Thanks
Toby

patchymama said:
I wasn't sure if this should go here, or if it should go in photos... so I apologize if I have it wrong :) I have asked for a Oberon cover as an anniversary gift, so this is my fix until then.

I started off with the plan to create a whole new cover for the kindle using some flexible plastic stuff I had, but in the end it worked better to just shove the cover the kindle comes with into the slip cover. If I had thought to do that from the beginning, it probably would have taken me less time and the cover would be trimmer (no need for the extra padding I added on the front). I may give it another go next weekend and come up with a template/instructions.

Anyway, here it my new home sewn cover. Its made of a dusty purple canvas and a quilters cotton. I have lots of "pockets" on the inside and used velcro to keep it in place.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It actually looks quite delicious, even though it's not my personal style.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nordmann56 said:
NICE JOB!!!
What is an Oberon cover, and where did you get the stick-ons for the face of the Kindle?

Thanks
Toby
Oberon - http://www.oberondesign.com/

And the skin I got from decalgirl.... there is a thread here in the Special Deals and discounts that has a discount code in it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
That's gorgous! It's on my list of things to make for my Kindle. I'd love a tutorial of how you did it. I can sew, and have a huge stash of fabric, but I'm not vgery good at figuring out patterns myself. :) I knit and felted a cover for my kindle (in it's case) to go in, to protect it from crumbs, etc. in my purse... I am working on perfecting the pattern and sharing pictures at some point.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
My daughter made a cute sleeve for her Kindle. Her Kindle is in the original cover, but she wanted extra padding for when she threw it in her purse. She made this.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
I saw the images from patchymama back in January but cannot see them now.

I made a K2 cover the day after I received my Kindle. The main cover is a journal I picked up at Michael's for $2.50 (50% off coupon) that had a filler that slipped into pockets on each side. I made a holder for the K2 that uses one pocket to keep the Kindle holder in the cover. I needed a cover quickly but have not yet posted photos where I can link to them.
Anna

1 - 20 of 31 Posts