Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - a few of us were mentioning in another thread that we are homeschooling.  I suggested we start a thread devoted to those of us who homeschool and love to read on our kindles in our "spare time" (what little there is).  Please stop in, cop a squat, and stay a while.  Any and all are welcome!

The kids attend a university-model classical Christian school that meets three days a week and they are home two days a week.  I used to homeschool my oldest full time, but he is VERY social and required way more interaction with his peers than I could provide even with a coop, etc.  My other two are also social, so we chose the 3 day school.  I still get to lead them 2 days a week which allows me that one-on-three time I so love.

How about you all? 

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I do virtual homeschooling.....through Connectionsacademy.com.  Its a free sight, and goes through the public school.  I teach my son (1st grade), neice (grade K), and nephews (grade 2 and 4).  When they are older we are going to give them a option to continue homeschooling or go to a private Christian school.  It's a full time job for me...I'm blessed to be able to stay home and teach. :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
This is great to hear. I think Home Schooling is such a better option over public schools if the parents has the time and the will.

Much respect to you!

·
Registered
700 Posts
We're finishing up our third year of homeschooling. I have boys who are doing 4th and 7th. We use Calvert, Teaching Textbooks and Rosetta Stone. Oldest is considering going back "somewhere" amongst others for high school.

Hard to find a lot of time for my Kindle. The boys have lots of literature in their Calvert curriculum, and I've either never read the books or have forgotten the details, so I have to read ahead of them. Currently we're reading Island of the Blue Dolphins (youngest) and oldest is reading Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl.

Oldest DS wanted to download a book to my Kindle, and I waffled. Happy to do anything that encourages extra-curricular reading, but very protective of my Kindle time. I gave in, and now we're "fighting" over the Kindle. ;D

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
If I had tried to home school my son, one of us would not have survived the experience.  :D

He's 25 now and turned out pretty well: doesn't live at home and pays his own car insurance!

Pawz, I think your oldest will need his own Kindle when he 'graduates' to non-home school!  :)

Ann

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
If I had tried to home school my son, one of us would not have survived the experience. :D

He's 25 now and turned out pretty well: doesn't live at home and pays his own car insurance!
We wouldn't have survived the experience either. Fortunately we have a very small school district, my older son's graduating class (he graduates in 3 weeks) is around 75 kids, for the most part great teachers. We've always kept a very active roll in their education and are on a first name basis with all of the teachers, principals and superintendent. There are also so many things we would not have been able to teach them if we home schooled, music being one of them. All 3 are quite the accomplished musicians sadly a skill I don't have.

Now I'm really looking forward to this paying your own car insurance thing as we are a 5 car family, lol.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
If I had tried to home school my son, one of us would not have survived the experience. :D
I can relate... I really wanted to homeschool.... but other considerations changed that plan, and now I'm glad. DD's a great kid, but her personality and mine would ensure sparks flying if I tried that.

We went with a Montessori school, which is working out wonderfully. In fall, she'll either go to a different Montessori or to the local public school's partial-immersion language program. I want to sit in on classes at both and then decide.

And Forster, whether homeschooling or public/private, there are probably always going to be things that you have to find teachers for elsewhere! (Hmmm... I see a new thread here...)

·
Registered
333 Posts
This is our first year homeschooling... my daughter went to public school for 1st and half of second grade.  So far its been a challenge, but our life has definitely became simpler since deciding to do it!  We use Moving Beyond the PAge and Right Start Math for curriculum and are really enjoying it!  She also goes to a homeschool co-op 2 days a week.

I am unsure if we will homeschool the younger one (she is 4) she is an entirely different person but I doubt the schools in vegas will be better in 2 years. 

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We just returned from a day at the baseball park...whew! I'm so glad to see all these responses. I am of the opinion that each personality has its own set of needs. I remember one family who had 6 children who all were involved in different school options. Two in public school, two in private school, and two were homeschooled. She mentioned how each child's needs were met in different school situations.

For us, our school has been such a blessing. But, I think it's rather unusual to have a 3 day a week school, especially with the classical curriculum. I love that they are reading heavy. When I was growing up, I didn't have a lot of encouragement to read and only later in life have I grasped how much I missed. I want our children to have a strong reading background. I am grateful that my oldest son seems to be inhaling books. The other two are still learning.

thank you, Elijsha, for that vote of confidence! Sometimes, at least for me, it feels like i'm in the trenches, but it's very rewarding.

Pawz4me said:
Oldest DS wanted to download a book to my Kindle, and I waffled. Happy to do anything that encourages extra-curricular reading, but very protective of my Kindle time. I gave in, and now we're "fighting" over the Kindle. ;D
My oldest son recently mentioned his "need" for a kindle. Hmmmm....He's reading the Hardy Boys series right now...still pondering that one :D

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Its neat to see how many of us homeschool.  Its a hard job...tiring for sure.  I'm lucky to spend every moment with my son and neice and nephews.  With Cub Scouts and homeschool...I'm running around all day.  Today was my day off....I went to the farmers market at 8am, 9am went to a Science Museum for Cub Scouts, 2pm lunch, 3-5 shopping for clothes for my son who grew overnight, 5-6 on a search for my moms mothers day gift...she wants a plant (of couse not the one I bought), 8-? will be gone looking for another plant for my mom.  I'm tired...not a relaxing day at all :(.  Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to rest. :)

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Neversleepsawink;) said:
Its neat to see how many of us homeschool. Its a hard job...tiring for sure. I'm lucky to spend every moment with my son and neice and nephews. With Cub Scouts and homeschool...I'm running around all day. Today was my day off....I went to the farmers market at 8am, 9am went to a Science Museum for Cub Scouts, 2pm lunch, 3-5 shopping for clothes for my son who grew overnight, 5-6 on a search for my moms mothers day gift...she wants a plant (of couse not the one I bought), 8-? will be gone looking for another plant for my mom. I'm tired...not a relaxing day at all :(. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to rest. :)
If that's your day off, I'd hate to see what the other ones look like!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I home schooled AJ for 1st & 2nd and KJ for K4 & K5.  Realized I sucked.  Put them in public school, went to college to get my teaching degree.  Then we moved here and well the public schools are not an option.  Put AJ in private for 7th.  KJ was going to the DoD school.  Last year (8th for AJ and 6th for KJ) both were in private and I worked there.  Due to uncontrollable circumstances we did not return this year and went back to home schooling this year and as of now for 10th and 8th.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Susan in VA said:
If that's your day off, I'd hate to see what the other ones look like!!
Yea, not to relaxing.....most of the time. I'm going to wake my hubby up for work around 3am tomorrow...and I'm hoping to sleep in until 9am...keeping fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Neversleepsawink;) said:
Its neat to see how many of us homeschool. Its a hard job...tiring for sure. I'm lucky to spend every moment with my son and neice and nephews. With Cub Scouts and homeschool...I'm running around all day. Today was my day off....I went to the farmers market at 8am, 9am went to a Science Museum for Cub Scouts, 2pm lunch, 3-5 shopping for clothes for my son who grew overnight, 5-6 on a search for my moms mothers day gift...she wants a plant (of couse not the one I bought), 8-? will be gone looking for another plant for my mom. I'm tired...not a relaxing day at all :(. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to rest. :)
I now know why your name is neversleepsawink ;)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Pawz4me said:
We're finishing up our third year of homeschooling. I have boys who are doing 4th and 7th. We use Calvert, Teaching Textbooks and Rosetta Stone. Oldest is considering going back "somewhere" amongst others for high school.

Hard to find a lot of time for my Kindle. The boys have lots of literature in their Calvert curriculum, and I've either never read the books or have forgotten the details, so I have to read ahead of them. Currently we're reading Island of the Blue Dolphins (youngest) and oldest is reading Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl.

Connectionsacademy.com also uses Calvert...they are trying a new selection of books...there are some kinks still. Love the program overall though. :)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
pawlaw aka MXCIX said:
I now know why your name is neversleepsawink ;)
Yes....actually since I was 9 I've had the "Neversleepsawink" syndrom. Not really sure why, I always tend to stress about not getting things done...so I guess I just stay awake...20 years later, I'm the same way. LOL!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
We're homeschoolers here too. We started about 6 years ago. They introduced a new curriculum in our school district and after many discussions with the school and superintendent, we decided to homeschool. We've pretty much used Calvert since. I've taught every grade they have..many of them twice. I need a change of pace and my oldest daughter is now in 9th grade, which Calvert doesn't offer, so we're going to give Keystone High School and Middle School a try. Until today, I didn't even know Keystone offered a Middle School option (it was new in August). They seem to have a pretty decent return policy if it's not a good fit for us. I think it will be though. My oldest did great the first year Calvert had the Virtual Academy. She loved it. Sadly, they changed it drastically the following year and she didn't enjoy it anymore. I'm hoping the online classes might take a little off my shoulders, I know it did when Rayna was doing the Virtual Academy.

I should have all of our Keystone material by the end of the week. The two younger ones are still using Calvert and probably will for awhile. They're both using First Grade. Taryn should be in 2nd, but the thought of teaching 4 different grades scared me, so I started her a bit late, and Brayden a bit early. We also have Co-op every Friday (which I detest, but they enjoy)

We also use Rosetta Stone for French. I got a pretty good deal on the whole set last year. I think it was only about $300 for all 3 levels with the Audio Companion. Only Rayna is doing it right now, but I hope to gradually add it into the other's schedules as well.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
That sounds like a great program...I know Connectionsacademy.com goes up to 12th grade now!!! Yay!!!  I've been homeschooling/virtual schooling for 4 years now.  I know its offered in few states..but if anyone wants to join it's all free.  Never paid a dime...if you don't have a computer, they'll provide you with one too.  Very cool.  :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
we are in our last week of homeschooling, for good.  I refuse to do it anymore!  I quit!  Well, actually, all 3 of my kids will graduate at the end of the month, so I figure that is the best reason to stop, LOL

1 - 20 of 30 Posts