Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not pitching or selling anything here.

Just curious if anyone out there knows of some good (fun?) creative writing workshops/courses they'd recommend--especially ones that aren't too expensive. It seems like a structured way into getting the 'creative process' flowing once again.

Curious what all your thoughts are.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Brandon Sanderson's class free on YouTube.

(In general, I don't find paid classes/courses to be worth it for craft. You'll get just as much out of free resources. Some stuff can be worth it for the networking opportunities, but that's meh in the age of covid.)

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Not a class but I'd recommend finding or building a writer's group. They're a great resource. At the very least, do a few beta read swaps with other writers in your genre.

I'd also recommend hiring the best developmental editor you can afford. The process will teach you so much about writing.

I've only startes examing it, but Story Grid seems like another good resource with a mix of formats.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
J. Tanner said:
Brandon Sanderson's class free on YouTube.

(In general, I don't find paid classes/courses to be worth it for craft. You'll get just as much out of free resources. Some stuff can be worth it for the networking opportunities, but that's meh in the age of covid.)
I'll check him out, thanks.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crystal_ said:
Not a class but I'd recommend finding or building a writer's group. They're a great resource. At the very least, do a few beta read swaps with other writers in your genre.

I'd also recommend hiring the best developmental editor you can afford. The process will teach you so much about writing.

I've only startes examing it, but Story Grid seems like another good resource with a mix of formats.
I'll definitely check out Story Grid.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
This is an example of Abbie Emmons on you tube. She has enough videos on all aspects of wriing to get anyone upto scratch to write a book. She's good to listen to and is never dull which makes listening to her her interesting, unlike many others. Oh, yeah, and listening to her is free. It would just be a case of subscribing, turning on notifications for her weekly videos. You'd need to search for her to work your way back through her videos. More examples show at the end of the video. I find them addictive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts