Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all!

I am in Buffalo NY (...No, It doesn't snow as much here as you think it does!)and I have been Lurking around here for about a week now.  This seems like such a welcoming and friendly group, that I just had to join in the fun. I am hoping that DW is getting my hints.  A Kindle is the only thing on my list this year, and I have been a very good boy.

She is in the second year of her PhD studies, which puts me on Super Dad duty when she isn't at school (which isn't often), and required to remain quiet when she is...a Kindle seems to be just the ticket for a silent companion! 

I have even already picked out names for my Kindle.  Guy Montag if it is a boy, or Clarisse McClellan if it is a girl.  Anyone get the references? (Finally, something I get to name all on my own!)

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Jim

P.S. Please send "hint pick-up vibes" in the direction of DW if you get the chance!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hi Jim - Welcome!!

::sending hint vibes:::

·
Registered
268 Posts
Welcome!

Both great names, btw. I'm envious.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hello fellow NYer...ok, I'm downstate but we're in the same state :p Welcome aboard and I'm going to send out very strong hint vibes...hopefuly DW will pick up on them pronto!

G

·
Ok now I am really confused.  How do you know if your Kindle is a boy or a girl?  I've never ever thought of naming one until I came here. 

Of course I am still waiting the arrival of mine.

Have you stuck Kindle pictures in all of her books?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Vampyre said:
Ok now I am really confused. How do you know if your Kindle is a boy or a girl? I've never ever thought of naming one until I came here.
I think that comes from how you perceive them.

G

·
Well I don't know.  If it was a Furby or a Cabbage patch Kid I'd see it.

How did they come up with the name Kindle anyway?  I have a cousin named that.

we don't get along.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi Jim, and welcome!
My hubby is originally from the Buffalo area (grew up in Kenmore).  He moved here 9 years ago.  His first winter here we had hardly any snow.  Finally one day we got about 4 inches, and he decided to fire up the old snowblower.  Wouldn't you know - the poor beast survived 20+ years of Buffalo snow (it was a hand-me-down) and the very first winter here in Chicagoland he hit the edge of the curb of our driveway and KILLED it!  Oh well!  It has since been replaced by a shiny new one.
Welcome!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
EyeMc said:
I have even already picked out names for my Kindle. Guy Montag if it is a boy, or Clarisse McClellan if it is a girl. Anyone get the references?
P.S. Are you a firefighter by chance?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
The definition of the word Kindle explains the name...

kin·dle 1 (kndl)
v. kin·dled, kin·dling, kin·dles
v.tr.
a. To build or fuel (a fire).
b. To set fire to; ignite.
2. To cause to glow; light up: The sunset kindled the skies.
3. To arouse (an emotion, for example): "No spark had yet kindled in him an intellectual passion" George Eliot.
v.intr.
1. To catch fire; burst into flame.
2. To become bright; glow.
3. To become inflamed.
4. To be stirred up; rise.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Welcome...I'm a former Buffalonian...and you are right it doesn't snow as much as most people think...but the weather sure is better in Arizona.  I've lived in a few places now but Buffalo will always be home.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Vampyre said:
Ok now I am really confused. How do you know if your Kindle is a boy or a girl? I've never ever thought of naming one until I came here.

Of course I am still waiting the arrival of mine.

Have you stuck Kindle pictures in all of her books?
Great idea about the pictures ;-p

Mine has decided it wants to be a boy and the name just hit me last night out of the blue. I'll introduce him formally in a bit ;-p

G

·
Thanks.  I am good at thinking up ideas...horrible about implementing them.  :)

Sounds like everything is coming together for you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Vampyre said:
Ok now I am really confused. How do you know if your Kindle is a boy or a girl?
Well after it arrives... you peek under the cover, and... ;)

G

·
My plan for when it arrives is plug it into the wall, to be sure it has power, turn it on, and then turn on whispernet.  Then go to Amazon to finish up registering it if need be.

After I wipe the drool from my face, I will begin experimenting with it.  I want to be sure everything works before I get too attached to it.  Who am I kidding?  I am already attached to it and it hasn't even shipped yet.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts