Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not very familiar with urban fantasy. However, the more that I learn about this genre, the more I'm beginning to think that I wrote an urban fantasy.

Synopsis: An Irish emigrant to the US is murdered after a botched abortion. She comes back to life as a soul-eating vigilante who stalks and kills murderers and rapists. She creates a gang of soul-eating vigilantes, and she makes the mistake of creating two soul-eaters who terrorize innocent people. Fast forward a few centuries and she's weary. She finds the body of a teenager who recently committed suicide then she takes possession of the body. Now, those two out of control soul-eaters are hunting her and her new family.

Besides being born from my very twisted imagination, what is this?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
From the synopsis, it sounds more like UF.

What's the mood like? If your customers read it late at night, would they be excited by the story, or too frightened to sleep?

UF can have tense, frightening parts, but they're usually balanced by other elements such as romance, action, mystery and character development.

Horror has a much stronger focus on elicting a fear response from the reader. Any 'normal' parts of the book exist to lull the reader into a false sense of security. (Speaking generally, of course.)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. There is a secondary romance as the MC reunites with the soul of her lost love. I'll do some more research on UF. Learn aboutcommon tropes and rework my novel to fit. Thanks!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yeah, sounds like UF more than horror to me.

How strong is the romance element? If its a big part of the plot then it could be Paranormal Romance (known as PNR). Also, you said, the body of a teen. How old? Could it border on upper-YA? Just some things to consider.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I've been writing urban fantasy for a decade and also served five years as the president of the Horror Writers Association. This sounds like horror and not urban fantasy at all.

Urban fantasy is fantasy in a modern setting. It is typically about human characters that interact with fantastic or supernatural creatures that inhabit urban settings. Harry Dresden is a classic example of urban fantasy. Your book sounds a good distance from that.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The romance is secondary to the plot, so it isn't PNR. I was aiming for Upper YA, but the tone may change depending on my edits.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Darcy said:
What's the mood like? If your customers read it late at night, would they be excited by the story, or too frightened to sleep?

UF can have tense, frightening parts, but they're usually balanced by other elements such as romance, action, mystery and character development.

Horror has a much stronger focus on elicting a fear response from the reader. Any 'normal' parts of the book exist to lull the reader into a false sense of security. (Speaking generally, of course.)
This is how I see the difference between horror and fantasy, too.

Fantasy is empowering. It makes the reader like to pretend they are the main character with superpowers.

Horror is frightening. Just downright scary and nightmare-inducing.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. It sounds like there is a lot to chew on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts