Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone beat this?

Unbeknownst to me, my Kindle is flung from a moving car on a Monday afternoon; (don't ask) screensaver is on, wireless is off, in the standard jacket but I believe the jacket was fastened OPEN.

When I got home, couldn't find it - must have left it a work. Tuesday at work, couldn't find it, must be at home. Tore house, car, and office apart, still no Kindle.

I work at a mall, and I thought maybe I dropped it in the parking lot. So I called Amazon - guy was very helpful - told me that the wireless had been turned on since it was lost, so I knew someone had found it. Told him I did not want to de-register it, on the off chance that I managed to get it back. He had me change my one-click to a dummy credit  card so that they would not be able charge my account, and I sent a document to the kindle itself offering a reward for its return.

Wednesday, I could see that they had not turned the wireless on again yet, so my document had not been received... In the Mall we're not allowed to put signs up anywhere... So I asked the secretary in the Mall office if she could put my 'lost' sign up and she said she could put it on the community bulletin board.

She is sitting in the mall office conference room eating lunch, with my sign on the table next to her, when the DHL delivery guy bring in a package... he sees the sign on the table and shouts, "I found that thing!"  Apparently, he found it on the side of the road (a mile from my house) on Tuesday - had no idea what it was or what to do with it. 

So my Kindle was flung from a moving car, spent the night on the side of the road, on and uncovered, don't remember if it rained that night but he said it was wet when he found it.

And it still works! Other than getting kinda scratched up, the only thing apparently wrong with it is I have trouble with the screensaver hot keys.

So do I get a prize for being the luckiest you-know-who, or do I get reamed for being the stupidest you-know-what (because it was my fault it got flung from the car)?

Anyway, one thing I would recommend to EVERYBODY is that it's not enough to have your name, phone # etc in the kindle properties, because if you lose it, the person who finds it will probably have NO IDEA what it is or how to get to the identification screen, but there are lots of honest people out there and having your contact info right on the unit in plain sight could save you lots of grief.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
bosslady said:
So do I get a prize for being the luckiest you-know-who, or do I get reamed for being the stupidest you-know-what (because it was my fault it got flung from the car)?
Yes and Yes.

Glad you got it back. . . .I keep one of my business cards in the cover but I have no intention of leaving it ANYWHERE!!! :)

Ann

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Nope, can't beat that!! When I read "Horror Stories", I thought you meant in a book. I am reading The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America. That's a real life horror story too . . . of a different kind.

·
Registered
829 Posts
holy poop!  I still wanna ask why it got flung from the car but understand if you don't want to tell.

I have an address label inside my cover and a few business cards in the M-Edge pocket.  I'm amazed but THRILLED for you that your Kindle survived!!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
That's an amazing story! I am glad your Kindle survived to tell the tale. I have a little label with my name on the back of my Kindle, my name is on my settings page with my phone number, and I also have a business card in the pocket of the cover. Hopefully someone will get in touch with me if Sir William ever leaves me sight (which rarely happens!).....

L

·
Registered
165 Posts
Unbelievable story!!  Congrats on the happy return of your Kindle.  Does it have a name?  The name "Lucky" comes to mind...

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Wow. I would go insane, if my Kindle went MIA. Thanks for the advice too. I just added my information to my settings and I am going to add a label to the back of my Kindle.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Whoa that's an amazing story. What an honest guy for returning it! Forget all those drop tests on the amazon kindle page, I doubt anyone could outdo this one.

·
Registered
829 Posts
snapcat said:
Whoa that's an amazing story. What an honest guy for returning it! Forget all those drop tests on the amazon kindle page, I doubt anyone could outdo this one.
Amazon should use bossladies story as advertisement and give her the Kindle for free - or at least a credit for Kindle books!!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
That is a great story. I have wanted to invent some kind of collapsable netting that will hold my purse securely in the passenger seat but still allow me access to it. My purse and it's contents have been launched more than a few times all over my truck floor and it drives me nuts. I have no idea how your Kindle flew out the window but I  have been concerned mine might take a tough tumble inside mine :eek:!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Here's a picture of my settings page, so you can see how I inserted my contact info:

·
Registered
81 Posts
HA HA! I now have your phone number Leslie!

Expect at least a full day's worth of post-Halloween 'trick' prank calls coming your way!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
thomashton said:
HA HA! I now have your phone number Leslie!

Expect at least a full day's worth of post-Halloween 'trick' prank calls coming your way!
You know, I thought about blanking that out, but I figured...I'm among friends here. Call away!

L

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I too thought this would be for a scary book...turned out it was a scary story. OMGoodness, I am so glad you got kindle back. Amazing story, and so glad DHL didn't have Kindle on his Christmas 'want list'.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
sailor said:
I too thought this would be for a scary book...turned out it was a scary story. OMGoodness, I am so glad you got kindle back. Amazing story, and so glad DHL didn't have Kindle on his Christmas 'want list'.
speaking to leslie trying to learn how to do this

·
Registered
829 Posts
tessa said:
speaking to leslie trying to learn how to do this
Welcome Tessa! (I noticed that was your very first post)

1 - 20 of 83 Posts