Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This new book popped into my also boughts and so I was curious and decided to check it out.

My jaw dropped when I saw that this book had amassed 39 five star reviews in 3 days on sale, and they are almost all Amazon Verified purchases, so they don't seem to be book blog reviews that were per-arranged.

I'm just bewilidered. To have 39 out of 40 reviews be 5 stars?

What kind of fairy dust are they sprinkling, because I want some.
http://www.amazon.com/Sins-Needles-Artists-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00B5O7LAC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Her Amazon Author Rank is in the top 25 in three separate sub-categories, she has a lot of books out and looks like she markets them well.

My own book picked up 50 five star reviews before I got anything else, although things have evened out a little more since then. Also, in doing a free promotion these past few days, I've picked up about 20 reviews, so it's certainly possible. She has a much greater fan base than I do, because basically, I have none!

It looks to me that she is where a lot of us want to be - a bunch of fans that can't wait for her next book.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
NicholasAndrews said:
She has ten other books on sale. I imagine she just has a really rabid fan base.
That's probably it. She may have even distributed review copies, but the fans still bought one when it came out. That spurs me on to write more, actually.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
The funny thing is, once you have an excited fanbase, you hardly need to get those reviews. But they're honest. I'm sure if the fans were disappointed by the book, they wouldn't give her 5 stars. They're not the same as disinterested people who download the book for free, which is where many of us are wallowing, eh?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
NicholasAndrews said:
She has ten other books on sale. I imagine she just has a really rabid fan base.
I want a "really rabid fan base!!!"

There is absolutely no point to this post other than my shouting into the universe and scattering around some exclamation points. ;D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
The power of a mailing list and a rabid fanbase waiting for your next book to be released so they can buy it ASAP.
Hah! Maybe inappropriate of me, but I just got the image of someone leaning over a plastic partition in their living room, shaking a box of Beggum Strips, and a whole pack of duggies going absolutely bonkers over the news.

·
Registered
870 Posts
It does happen. My book Learn Me Good was sitting at 190 reviews for a long, long time. I did a free promotion on Jan 9 and 10, and now I have 240 reviews, most of them 4 or 5 star. And most of them do not seem to have come from my rabid fan base!  :)

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
The power of a mailing list and a rabid fanbase waiting for your next book to be released so they can buy it ASAP.
I think all of my books made the hot new releases when first released. I do have a fan base eagerly awaiting the next book in both of my series. I have over 900 people on my personal email list and over 300 fans on my website. When I send them a blast letting them know my next book is out, they buy, and many are bloggers who review. So yes, it's not only possible but likely with that number of books out.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I love the warning on the book. I use them too but hers is better than mine:

**WARNING** This book contains graphic language, sex and violence. Readers who are sensitive to sexual scenes, violence and a lot of cursing should refrain from reading this book.This is not YA or NA. 18 and above.

This way she makes sure people who won't like the book for the reasons mentioned stay far away. Or they read it anyway and don't dare complain about it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
From the above comments it looks like her reviews are legit.
But, on the same topic, I received a tweet from a site called "25for5", which blatantly offers to post 5-star reviews for money. With part of the money you pay they buy a copy of your book so that the review can sport a "Verified Amazon Purchase" label. It appears that you can also purchase 1-star reviews for your competitors.
The Amazon review system becomes daily more hilarious!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
NicholasAndrews said:
Exactly. Building a fan-base who will buy your new releases on day one is the dream....

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Morgan I just want to make sure that it is clear that I wasn't suggesting her reviews were not legitimate. She's also got over 100 reviews on GoodReads, also all very highly rated. She truly has dedicated fans, and that is simply something I think we all aspire to. Her book just opened my eyes to just HOW dedicated an indie fan base can be.

I've seen fans post a ton of reviews very quickly for authors like Stephanie Meyer, J K Rowling, etc but they are never all five star, they usually seem to be a mix of love and hate, so I was surprised by the overwhelming level of five stars.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts