Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hurro fellow writers (AKA people who sit still and stare at glowing squares for a living),

Last week I had a wee bit of insomnia after a long day of writing and it was because I'd moved less than about thirty metres in the whole day!

Bedroom -> table -> kitchen -> table -> sofa -> bed.

My mind was tired but not my body. Staying up to 4am for no good reason reminded me that this stationary pursuit needs to be broken up with exercise!

So tell me writers, what are you doing to keep the body fit and healthy? I walk, sometimes swim and just bought a bike today so I can start riding.

·
Registered
13,312 Posts
I get up at 6am and go to the gym at the top of the street. Every day. No excuses. As a bonus, they have the news on TV, so I can catch up with what's happening in the world. As a second bonus, I've come to know the morning crowd in there, and they're all nice people. As a third bonus... have you ever seen how bright Jupiter and Venus are in the pre-dawn sky?

·
Registered
586 Posts
mathewferguson said:
Hurro fellow writers (AKA people who sit still and stare at glowing squares for a living),

Last week I had a wee bit of insomnia after a long day of writing and it was because I'd moved less than about thirty metres in the whole day!

Bedroom -> table -> kitchen -> table -> sofa -> bed.

My mind was tired but not my body. Staying up to 4am for no good reason reminded me that this stationary pursuit needs to be broken up with exercise!

So tell me writers, what are you going to keep the body fit and healthy? I walk, sometimes swim and just bought a bike today so I can start riding.
I think I will clear up some of the vast amounts of clutter that has crept up on me over the past few years. In fact I will probably have to before I can no longer negotiate the ever narrowing passage to the box room where my PC is located, somewhere under a massive pile of computer parts, magazines and periodicals. I'll tell you, being a polymath is a serious health hazard.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I'm not keeping fit, sadly, due to the health problems that have plagued me over the past few years.  (On the up side, due to the magic of Crohn's, I've lost forty pounds without trying. ::))  I am feeling better right now, so I'm trying to get back into condition, but I'm so far out of shape that I'm having to start small.  Short walks with the dogs are my first effort (and the dogs really appreciate it, too!).  Once I can walk a distance without falling over, I hope to start going to the Y and hitting the elliptical machines there.  Since I've lost all this weight anyway, I'd like to condition what I have left-- I might actually start to look less like a potato. ;D

Your health really matters, folks.  Hang onto it if you can.  Exercise is a good thing for those of us with a sedentary profession!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I am all about taking care of myself.  Especially since I have two sons now (ages 2 and a half and 1)... with so much out there waiting for them, I want them to understand good food and exercise as young as possible.  

For myself, I run five days a week, life weights three to four times a week, and for something in between, I picked up the new 10 Minute Trainer videos... they are GREAT.  

Along with exercise, food is important... lots of fruits and veggies, fresh homemade smoothies, whole wheat bread, etc.

I need as much energy and focus as my body can get!

-jb 8)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Matthew,

I have the same problem - I have a sedentary job, so I sit in front of computer at work and then I come home to work on my job #2, writing, in an armchair or in front of the computer (BTW, thanks God for house chores!)

So I resolved I would take a short 15 min walk every morning rain or shine around my block, and it works great.  I am actually leaving for one in 2 min!  We should have a support group for this, is as important as writing!

Gabriela

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I go for a morning drag around my village with my two dogs and sometimes do a little gardening.

But I'm totally unfit at the moment compared to what I was like this time last year. :(

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I try to walk in the morning (it's great for clearing the mind and working out story ideas.)  I hit the gym when I can, but I nibble and snack too much while working at home.  Why don't carrots taste as good as chocolate?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm not a writer, but I do currently have a pretty sedentary career in front of a computer all day.  I've taken to wearing a pedometer and just trying to walk for a minimum of 7,000 steps a day (stretch goal: at least 10,000 steps a day).  When I first started wearing the pedometer, it was scary to see how little I walked in an average day - certainly no where near even 7,000 steps.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Got out of shape last year when I began writing more seriously.  Now, I catch the bus at 5:15 am, write on my netbook during the ride, arrive downtown at 5:35, spend an hour in the gym (free perk from my company) while listening to an audiobook, then I have another hour to write before work starts at 7:30.

That, combined with eating better, has helped me lose 30 lbs in the past two months.

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is a really good discussion. I also have health problems and because of that I've let myself go. Becoming a full time writer has added to this issue by giving me a good excuse to stay in all the time.

I'm really ashamed of myself for that because I use to be so fit and healthy( Physically, I use to be miss hot stuff, now I'm just hot sh*t  :p). I've been watching Tv lately (I usually don't. Who needs TV when you have the internet?) and yesterday i found myself watching Jerseylicious (I know, WTF? I've just been guido hungry lately) on the show the very over weight girl was crying and speaking about how hard it is being fat. I've never been big and I can see that I'm getting weight that's getting harder and harder to loose, so it scared me a little.  Then the skinny girl (don't know the characters names) was counseling her about how she lost the weight. "One day I woke up and decided I did not want to be this way anymore and I changed!". As absolutely ridiculous and possibly offensive to the Italian community as this show is, that episode yesterday made a lot of sense. I decided to go back on my diet restricting sugar. Also, Saturday, I went out with friends, eatting popcorn and fatty/high sodium resturant food. Hell, I live in New York City, this place is racked full of trendy resturants and eat spots. How I'm ever going to resist pigging out at chic places, I'll never know, but I have to try. After hanging out on saturday I felt really sick yesterday  :( So sick i couldn't do any work on my book till about 10:00 at night because i felt absolutely dizzy and out of my mind (hench my watching "Jerseylicious"). Then I got so into working I didn't go to sleep till 3 am. This is really bad. I have a 6 year old and I have to stay healthy for him, not to mention being sick isn't helping my writing at all.  :-\

Thanks for bringing this up. I already started with my first meal today (sugarless iced tea and a bagel with strawberry cream cheese) Now if i could just keep it up! It helps to know I'm not the only one trying to stay healthy with the kind of work that we do.

·
Registered
91 Posts
swolf said:
Got out of shape last year when I began writing more seriously. Now, I catch the bus at 5:15 am, write on my netbook during the ride, arrive downtown at 5:35, spend an hour in the gym (free perk from my company) while listening to an audiobook, then I have another hour to write before work starts at 7:30.

That, combined with eating better, has helped me lose 30 lbs in the past two months.
Wow, 30 lbs in two months, that's hella good!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Over on the Not Quite Kindle board there's a thread called "the pound a week club" for folks losing weight, in case anyone wants/needs support and encouragement. 

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
My doctor laid out the ultimatum and I have to do more or I'm going to lose it all.

I restarted a regimen that I followed a couple of years ago -- a two mile walk every morning on a loop around my neighborhood. It takes about 35 minutes to walk the two miles and I've just completed 136 miles this morning.

To keep myself going, I started a podcast -- at the request of my fans -- called "Talking On My Morning Walk" and I just use my bluetooth earbud and cell phone to record whatever I'm thinking about during the second mile of the walk. Some mornings it's about my kids, sometimes about writing. Lately I've been thinking about BaltiCon and how it all worked out last weekend. I talk about story ideas and answer questions that people tweet to me while I'm walking. Each day, I take a picture of the sunrise from the same place and at about the same time and post it on twitter, flickr, and as the "daily graphic" on the blog that hosts it.

It's kinda weird but it gives me that extra "I've gotta go walking so I can record my daily podcast" incentive to get my buttocks bouncing around the loop.

What's astonished me is that I'm up to about 300 listeners and I had dozens of people come up to me at BaltiCon and say how much they like hearing me talk about "stuff."

If you're interested, you can find it at Talking On My Morning Walk

·
Registered
637 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Arthur, I *love* this video :)

And ... hmm... I have a dread-mill in the corner ... I wonder ...

:D

1 - 20 of 98 Posts