Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As someone who does manage to derive a substantial amount of income from BN, I have to say that selling books over there seems a lot more like trading on the stock market. After recovering from a severe slowdown in late March/early April, I thought things had evened out, but the past 4-5 days have seen a precipitous decline that leaves me staggering. Can anyone commiserate?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I only put my book up at PubIt a week ago, and I only have one sale, so perhaps that's an amazing increase. I'm curious how you reached the Nook crowd. Is there a version of Kindlebooks for the Nook? Is there a Nook Nation?

·
Registered
700 Posts
My stuff is selling about seven times better on Amazon than on B&N. I was just about to start a thread looking for ways to reach more Nook people, and saw this one. :)

It would help, I guess, if I knew the ratio of Kindle to Nook readers. It might just be that there are that many more Kindle people out there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My advice to those of you who are looking to build up readership over at BN: play with your search terms. Search result rankings are pretty much everything, but if you're able to get on the first page of a popular genre you are going to be getting some major help. That said, it's not like there's a specific SEO term that will work. Adding "Thrillers" won't necessarily get you onto the page for thrillers, for example. Just keep playing with the search keywords in the edit your book page.

There is a nookboards, and I have found readers there. Haven't been in a while though.

In case anyone cares to read more, I'll also say that it took a loooong time to get momentum at BN in the first place. Pubit opened in October and I had 16 sales for the month. 15 for November. It can take time, and of course what you're writing matters, but lots of people report miraculous increases in sales once the system finds them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Checking our PubIt sales, the daily numbers appear to be pretty consistent with perhaps a slight increase over the past few weeks.

But, yeah, our PubIt sales are a tiny fraction of our Kindle sales*. OTOH, that's probably at least partially because we direct all of our primary sales links to Kindle. After all, we make more money from every Kindle sale. There's no incentive to send people to B&N's site unless they own a Nook.

If there was a way to reach out specifically to Nook buyers, we'd definitely be open to it.

* For this month it's about 1/6th our Kindle sales.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I usually don't do super awesome on BN, but I was averaging about 10 books a day the last couple of months and this month I've had several days where I haven't sold any.  My sales in general this month have been really low.  Come on beach reading season!!

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Cheri Schmidt said:
Do give you a comparison - I dropped the price of Fateful to 99 cents on both Amazon and B&N. As of this moment for the month of May, my numbers look like this:

US AMAZON - 939
UK AMAZON - 15
US - 16
That's surprising considering that looks like BIG Ben on your cover. I have the opposite situation, my UK sales are outstripping US sales by at least 4 -1, yet both books are set in America, apart from one short story which starts in a shoot out, coincidentally facing Big Ben.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Mine are steady and low, but I haven't pushed very much anywhere. I'm about to move some that were distributed by Smashwords to Nook, as I've heard sales are great there. Mine are backlist so I'm happy w/whatever as they've been sitting for years.

Right now, there is a lot of debate about the media company supposed to be in line to own BN.com, so anything like that, plus house and yard work in the spring cuts into sales. Nook has been pushing really hard on their ereader sales, so I'm watching that.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I hate the B&N roller coaster!  I will have streaks of hot selling (for me) over there.  And as soon as I think "Wow! Maybe one of my stories has caught on"..... nothing.  That makes no sense to me.  One would think that a sales rank that increased from increased sales would lead to.... I dunno.... MORE sales.  But no.

They like to tease.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts