Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have just acquired a new kindle, and I'm thrilled with it.  However, some of the ebooks I've downloaded don't have a table of contents.  I can overcome this by going through the book page by page and highlighting each chapter or story heading.  Then I can use my "Notes" as a table of contents.

However, what I'd like of course is to find some way of adding a kindle-aware table of contents; that is, downloading the book to my computer; massaging it somehow to add a TOC, and reloading it to the kindle.  Is there any way of doing this?  I use Linux, so a Linux program would be best, but I don't mind if I have to use Windows.

Thanks very much!

cheers,
-A.

·
Super Moderator
67,458 Posts
The only way to alter book content is via third party software. . .nothing using just the Kindle itself.

As suggested, Calibre (linked above) is one choice -- lots of folks here use it for a variety of things and find it quite powerful.  But it's not the most intuitive program so it's best to read all the documentation and watch the available videos. 

Now, I don't know if you can add a ToC with it; I have heard of people changing meta data so titles/authors show differently.  And I don't know whether adding a ToC would violate copyright or the terms of service agreed to when you bought the book.  I personally think it would be too much trouble for most books. ::)

For a book bought from Amazon that has no ToC, I would recommend using the feedback link at the bottom of the books product page and letting Amazon know -- that information does, I believe, get passed on to the publisher who would be the one who decided to include such a thing or not.  It won't solve your problem immediately but maybe they'll fix it for later purchasers -- and even offer an update for earlier purchasers.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
history_lover said:
Just because a book isn't DRMed doesn't mean it's not copyrighted material though - would adding a TOC violate the copyright? I would only mess with public domain books, just in case.
I'm not a copyright lawyer, so take this with a grain of salt, but my understanding would be that as long as you do it only for your personal use and do not distribute it to anyone else, it would be okay.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Adding a table of contents isn't a trivial operation, given the lack of programs for editing mobi files. For ePubs, you can use Sigil, an excellent ePub editor. Even with Sigil, the TOC must be added manually, as I understand it (I've only used it for other things). Calibre can add a TOC to a book, but you have to know how to use regular expressions (regex). And even that will not reliably work on many books.

Neither Sigil or Calibre will do any TOC operations to a DRM protected book. Basically, it's up to the publisher.

Mike

·
Registered
343 Posts
Setting up a TOC made my head hurt.  I hope people don't need one too badly, as there was no way I was going to make it happen.  The changing font sizes make it just awful.  The only thing you can really do is list the chapters, and titles of each, if there are any.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts