Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,502 Posts
Welcome to KB and good luck with your new book. Ann or Betsy will soon redirect your post to the right section.  From what I know, if you wish to promote your book, the right section is the "Book Bazaar".  If you wish to get advice on which avenues to use in order to promote and advertise your book outside of KB, the "Writer's Cafe" is the right section.

This section, "Book Corner" is for reader reviews and the like.  Pretty much the writers hang around the Writer's Cafe, although they do participate in the various forums as well, but as 'readers', not writers.

When you find time, do introduce yourself in the "Introductions and Welcomes" section.  :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Tina,

You didn't mention the things you've already tried, but here are the basics that authors need to get the word out about their books:

* Website / blog - a great way to build authority on a subject for non-fiction authors, or to draw readers into your fictional world

* Social networks - some are better than others for authors and writers. The most effective for writers are usually Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook and Goodreads.

* Build a mailing list - another reason to have your own website or blog

Hope this helps.

---
Try Author Press, the premium WordPress theme that helps authors sell more books:
http://www.geniusstartup.com/author-press-wordpress-theme/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Depending on its size, you could chop it up into parts and put part 1 on permafree, or you could put them In Select and cycle the promo days. I'd go with the former though. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,299 Posts
Book promotion is constantly evolving, but there are a few foundational things you can do to get you moving in the right direction. Genius gave you the three long-term items. A website/blog, social media, and a mailing list are all "must haves" but they take a while to build, so be patient. In the short term, consider doing giveaways (LibraryThing; Goodreads, if you have a print version; book review blogs, etc) to help you garner reviews, which will help gain you exposure. As many have said, book selling isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. Don't worry if your books don't sell right off the press. Take the long view and do the legwork to get word out there about your books.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
tina kaleal said:
I just had my first book "Family Plot" published but i'm having trouble promoting it.Can anyone please help me?
I recently posted a similar query about this - and the advice everyone gave me ... keep writing. I have decided to give promoting a miss for now - it is not my strength anyway - and my story seems to be selling okay so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
As Saul Tanpepper mentioned, a Goodreads Giveaway can be a nice way to garner some attention.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Carrie Rubin said:
As Saul Tanpepper mentioned, a Goodreads Giveaway can be a nice way to garner some attention.
As I've never tried a Goodreads giveaway before, I'm curious as to how this works. Do you send a pdf, or how do you gift the copy (as Amazon can easily be manipulated to where your gift turns into a loss)? I'm not a real fan of Smashwords, so not sure I want to rely on that vehicle for giveaways, so hoping there's better information available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
sarbonn said:
As I've never tried a Goodreads giveaway before, I'm curious as to how this works. Do you send a pdf, or how do you gift the copy (as Amazon can easily be manipulated to where your gift turns into a loss)? I'm not a real fan of Smashwords, so not sure I want to rely on that vehicle for giveaways, so hoping there's better information available.
Sorry, I should have clarified. Goodreads Giveaways are for paper copies only--not e-books. Here's a link to their informational video: http://www.slideshare.net/GoodreadsPresentations/your-guide-to-giveaways-on-goodreads-15194819
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
That's excellent to know, thank you. Most of my books are also in paperback copies as well. That sort of makes things a lot easier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,911 Posts
In addition to the free giveaways already mentioned, I would encourage you to get active on Goodreads AS A READER (that means, don't go there just to talk about your book.  Go there to talk about other people's books.)  As you make real friends on GR and as your comments and reviews show up in their feeds, you will get a wider and wider base of friends.  Eventually all these people will figure out that you're an author, too, and because they like you, they will check out your book.

On the whole, I would caution you to manage your expectations.  Be realistic about what bookselling looks like and how long it takes in this day and age.  It will probably take a long time for you to find a few readers, and then it will take longer to find lots of readers, and it will take a long time for reviews to come in and for sales to pick up, but all these things will happen if you have written a good book.  Expect a long haul.  In the meantime, plan for that future date when you are finally "discovered" by preparing a nice, large backlist for your future readers.  Write more.  Write as much as you can, and make it as good as you can.  If you are a good writer, then at some point in the future you will have the following and the income you want, but expect that to be in the future, not right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
ElHawk said:
In addition to the free giveaways already mentioned, I would encourage you to get active on Goodreads AS A READER (that means, don't go there just to talk about your book. Go there to talk about other people's books.) As you make real friends on GR and as your comments and reviews show up in their feeds, you will get a wider and wider base of friends. Eventually all these people will figure out that you're an author, too, and because they like you, they will check out your book.

On the whole, I would caution you to manage your expectations. Be realistic about what bookselling looks like and how long it takes in this day and age. It will probably take a long time for you to find a few readers, and then it will take longer to find lots of readers, and it will take a long time for reviews to come in and for sales to pick up, but all these things will happen if you have written a good book. Expect a long haul. In the meantime, plan for that future date when you are finally "discovered" by preparing a nice, large backlist for your future readers. Write a

I appreciate the advice. I'm actually quite situated on Goodreads and was for quite some time before I even realized there was an author's section to it. So most groups I belong to know me as a reader first and a writer second.
 
G

·
Before you worry about marketing, you need to clean up your presentation. Having a professional looking listing and professional book is the best marketing you can have.

1. New cover: your cover is black and white, kind of bland, and has very much a "homemade" look to it. There are some excellent cover artists on KB who can design a great cover for you for an affordable rate.

2. Formatting: I don't know if this is a problem with the preview function on Amazon or with your actual book, but on the first page of the preview it looks like you have a bunch of paragraphs all jumbled together in one paragraph.

3. Editing and proofreading: You need an editor. I noticed too many run-on sentences, missing punctuation, and other errors that are common in drafts but should have been caught before publishing. Little silly things like constantly using the character's full name, even at times when no normal person would use it. Not starting a new paragraph to indicate a different speaker in dialogue. The story opens in present tense and then switches to past tense. Excess use of dialogue tags and an aversion to the word "said." Individually, no one thing is a deal breaker. As a whole, it makes the book appear to be an unedited draft and not a finished book.

4. Clean up your blurb: you have missing punctuation and a weird line break in your blurb. You also need to flesh it out a little more to differentiate it from the competition.

5. Your reviews look suspect: I know friends often want to help authors when they first release a book, but those five star reviews really aren’t helping. In fact, they all contain errors that are similar to the errors I see in your book. This is going to lead some people to think they are sock puppets or that you asked your friends to post the reviews. It doesn’t help that one of the reviewers refers to you by your first name. Generally, reviewers refer to authors by the last name in reviews unless it is a major fanboy/fangirl thing. For example, I would never write a review of a Stephen King novel and refer to him as “Steve” or “Steven.” But crazy Twilight fans sometimes refer to the author by her first name. There is an element on Amazon that will nail you to the wall if they think you have fake reviews. This is why I tell my friends never to review my books on Amazon. Even if they are being honest, people will think otherwise.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top