Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kindle has frozen up on me twice in the past three days....screen freezes, none of the buttons or cursor will work, and even when I turn it off the page I was reading stays right there. Both times I have used the reset button in the back of the kindle and after a few minutes the kindle turns off and then seems normal when I turn it on again. But I have never ever had to do a reset before so twice in less than a week is freaking me out a bit. Is this in the normal range? How often do others have to reset??? I am asking because my one year warranty on the kindle is up in two more weeks so this is making me extremely nervous.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
I have had to reset my KK more often than my K2.  I think in my case, the user contributes to the lock-ups.  It usually happens after I move a lot of content and then get impatient when I don't get an immediate response from any of the buttons.  Since I've learned about the indexing process, I've had fewer lock-ups.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I've had to reset the K1 twice in 8 months. The K2 I had to reset several days after I got it so that it would start indexing books, but that was the only time.

Mike

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
marianner said:
Were you reading the same book when both freezes occurred? If so, then I'd probably attribute it to the book, especially if it's in Topaz format.
Two different books but both part of the 'In Death' series by J.D. Robb. I'm pretty sure they are not in topaz though. My battery showed a full charge both times....I plug the kindle in every morning to top it off and almost never have whispernet turned on unless I am purchasing a book. I love my kindle passionately so I hope this is just a strange coincidence (two freezes within a few days). But if she is going to kick the bucket it would be best if that happened in the next two weeks before the warranty is up! Ack. That sounds cold, doesn't it? I'm not sure whether I should call and mention this to customer service or not.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Had my K1 for four months and only reset it twice...but one of those two times had to do with the fact I was on web broswer with a nearly dead battery

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I don't know Wisteria - I think I would call CS, particularly since you are so close to your year anniversary!  Whateer you do please please please let us know what happens!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I reset my Klassic 4 times in 6 months, haven't had to reset my K 2 yet. Have you turned the power switch off for a few seconds and then back on to see if that helps?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had this problem (had to reset every day) and called Amazon CS.  They walked me through doing a reinstall of the firmware (you need to copy off anything stored locally first) and that fixed the problem.  I've only had to do a reset once since (and that was months ago...knock on wood).   

They told me that it wasn't normal and if the didn't firmware reinstall didn't fix it, they would replace my Kindle under warranty.

·
Registered
194 Posts
on my kindle 2 thus far only once when i encountered the known picture viewing bug which prevents you from viewing your pictures unless you press the menu button. 

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have only reset the Kindle2 once, after having problems with a non-Amazon book.  My Klassic Kindle, which I had for over a year, I seemed to reboot constantly.  Like others have said, it usually seemed to happen when I was trying to shuffle large volumes of books around using the content manager, and I wasn't patient enough  ::) .  Despite resetting it repeatedly, the Klassic Kindle is still working great 15 months later, so it doesn't seem to have done it any harm.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I have had to reset mine twice in the last two weeks, today I had a1/2 charge, so don't think that was it. I keep Whispernet off unless downloading. Only once before now has it froze.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
My K1 got so  some weeks it would freeze several times a day.  I called Amazon and they basically stonewalled me.. saying... not that this makes sense, but that I should have it on the charger when it froze.. uh.. then he admitted it might freeze out in the world. 

He suggested that it was the battery being low.  I countered that I put it on the charger every night when I slept, so that was unlikely.

He even suggested that I should just sell it and it would be ok because it would be on warranty.

I got my K2 and hadn't used the K1 for awhile but the other day I had them both working so I could start removing books that I have on Amazon/or the K2.  Next I'll deal with samples and then make sure all the non-Amazon books are on the SD card.

And in the hours I was using the K1, it reset many times or froze.

So I'll eventually be calling Amazon again.

My K2 now and then resets itself.. suddenly blilnks and then has 0 items but it has always come back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts