Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel free to move this to where it needs to be..not sure...

Just have a question...how do books get Kindleized?  I mean who decides, then who does it?  I'm a little fuzzy on that.

When I go to ereaderiq to look at new books on Kindle there are so many that seem "odd" to me...not so much new fiction some days as there are really "different" books.  So who decides for instance that "The Animal Connection: A New Perspective On What Makes Us Human" should be put on Kindle.  Just an example, not criticizing at all....just curious....for those of you in the know.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The publisher decides, and has to do the work of creating a digital version of the book.  Or, whomever the rights holder is.  Occasionally, the author retains the rights, and self-publishes through Amazon or Smashwords.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Then there are those of us who have decided to bypass finding an actual publisher and have decided to self-publish our works for Kindle and ebook readers.  It has been such a rewarding experience for me that, at least for my fiction work, I almost don't consider sending a query to a standard publisher anymore.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It also has a lot to do with whether they think there's a market for a certain book among Kindle users.

For instance, the book you used as an example was put out by W. W. Norton & Company publishers. They must have decided that the target audience for that book also matches a certain demographic on Kindle. A lot of market research goes into the decision.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It's a software process. Lots of coding, and a whole directory of files. If you know the language, you'll understand it - similar to HTML.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
As earlier posters noted, the decision to "Kindlize" (kindleize?) is up to the copyright holder.  That may be the original publisher or the author, or, if the book is no longer under copyright, then technically, anyone with the skills to make it happen.  That said, Amazon has begun restricting the publishing of public domain materials to only those with substantially different content than existing versions (i.e., new illustrations or notes or whatever).

--Maria

1 - 6 of 6 Posts