Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about doing a book giveaway (maybe like 10 personalized copies) but I have no clue about how to go about doing this.  I'll greatly appreciate all tips and suggestions.  Thanks.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
There are several ways, you can offer your book on LibraryThing, for example. It worked great for me. Or you can announce a giveway on a blog - yours or someone else's.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should clarify:  Do I need to provide my e-mail address or maybe a mailing list for readers to enter their info? And how do I randomly selected the winners?  I'm not sure about the logistics of running a book giveaway.  Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
If you do it through LibraryThing, they'll take care of it for you (that's what I love about them). You just need to post the info about your book, upload the cover, and mention how many copies you are giving away. People will start signing up, and in the end LT will provide you with email addresses of the winners. Then you'll just email them the file.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Laura.  I just signed up with Goodsread (I know, I know, I'm sooo behind on these things).  I'll look into LibaryThing, too. 

I'm actually planning to giveaway printed copies of my first novel (there aren't that many available from my publishers) so hopefully it'll entice people to sign up.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few more questions:  what is the best duration for the giveaway? 1 week? 2 weeks? 1 month?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I did a giveaway before Christmas. People had to be following me on Twitter, then email an answer to a contest I set up on my blog. Something with stips like that might sneakily reel a few people in for the long haul who might not stick around after entering and not winning. Cynical, but what are you gonna do?

For reference, here's the old contest: http://franticplanet.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/free-stuff/

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Mobashar Qureshi said:
A few more questions: what is the best duration for the giveaway? 1 week? 2 weeks? 1 month?
The duration is up to you, you can make it a week, two weeks, etc. You also choose whether you offer a paper book or a printed copy. As far as I remember, on Goodreads it has to be a printed copy. With LibraryThing, you can do both.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have signed up with LibraryThing but I can't do a giveaway until I am a LibraryThing Author.  I have submitted the request but I am waiting now.  How long does it usually take?  Goodreads was approved in a few hours.  (I wanted to start the giveaway this Sunday but I think I'll have to wait now)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Mobashar - if I remember rightly, it took less than 24 hours for me to be approved as a LibraryThing author.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts