Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the thread title says.  :p Can anyone tell me how to download the updated version of a book? I can't find the option on my Kindle.

·
Super Moderator
67,441 Posts
The version you bought is the only one you have access too, even if the publisher releases an update.

Now, the publisher can request Amazon to send messages to all the purchasers about the update. When that happens, you get an email that the book has an updated edition and you're given the option to get it or keep the current one. They give you an option because if you take the new one, you'll lose any notes or marks you made in the old one.

You might contact Kindle Customer Support and explain to them what book has an update; maybe they'll let you return it for a refund and then you can re-buy the new version.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Dara and Ann, when I publish an ebook to Amazon, as soon as it becomes available in the store I purchase a copy myself, to make sure readers get what I expect them to.

After publishing several different books, I made a significant update to my first. I think I was able to see the update in a sample, but nothing I did with my Kindle account would make the update show up there; I seemed stuck with the original.

I emailed Amazon support about it, and they said they could enable me a free update, but warned about me losing any notes and stuff. And I got the update. So far as I can tell, anyone who has previously purchased a book can get the update for free-- but they have to request it.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
When a new version of Good Omens was released recently (after not being available at all for quite some time), I emailed Kindle CS, told them I'd like to replace my older version. They offered to issue me a refund on my original purchase, and then they would remove it from my archive. It was then up to me to simply buy the new version (which unfortunately cost about 2-1/2 dollars more than my original purchase).

American on Purpose, on the other hand, was one where I received the aforementioned email, and just had to respond that I wanted the new version, which was then automatically downloaded to my Kindle.

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks guys. I thought I was going crazy because I couldn't figure out how to get the updated version. I guess it's not just me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Is there a way for one to check for updates to the books you have?  i've never received an email from Amazon of this nature, however, the ast two updated to my Kindle (k2) were also not received and I had to download them via the internet.  I've never heard about book  updates, so forgive me if this has been covered before.
melissa

·
Super Moderator
67,441 Posts
SusanCassidy said:
If you didn't get an email from Amazon, there isn't an update that you can download.
Which doesn't necessarily mean that what's for sale now is the same as what you have. :)

But you won't know if there's been a revision unless you haunt the book page to see if the author has said anything about that in the write-up, or if the author/publisher works with Amazon to let you know and tell you how to get it. I have no idea what that mechanism is on their end, only that, at least a half dozen times over the last couple of years I've gotten an email letting me know that a book I'd bought has a newer version and do I want it.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
This whole affair of not implementing an automated way of updating ebooks that have been revised gives Amazon a black eye, as far as I'm concerned. It's not that difficult to do, it just appears they haven’t chosen to do it.  :mad:

Mike

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thank you for clarifying.  I've never gotten an email to that effect, so I didn't know if it was something I needed to sign up for, etc. 

Melissa

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
To be fair, we don't know that it isn't the publishers that make a different version, with a different ASIN for some updates (re-releases with fixes), instead of Amazon.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
SusanCassidy said:
To be fair, we don't know that it isn't the publishers that make a different version, with a different ASIN for some updates (re-releases with fixes), instead of Amazon.
If I were to be fair, what would I have to complain about? ;D ;D

Mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
In my year and a half with Amazon, I have received about 5 notices of updates. They tell you to reply yes to their message and soon you have the update on your home page. If you had bookmarks or anything they will be gone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts