Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about to release my second short story, Mr Westacott's Christmas. This will be a paid title (99c) but it also a fundraising project for Australian mental health organisation beyond blue (20c from each sale is donated to them) I'd like to gift some copies to authors I know who I'm sure will leave reviews but I don't know how to give copies away. Is there somewhere on KDP where I can send free copies or do I have to go through the drudgery of making endless copies of a PDF file to email?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,722 Posts
Hi.  You only need to make one copy of a Pdf, then you can send that one copy to numerous people.    Just attach it in an email.

Now how to gift a book, go to the book's page and click on gift this book.  It will be in the box where you buy the book.  Note this will cost you the price of the book.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cinisajoy said:
Hi. You only need to make one copy of a Pdf, then you can send that one copy to numerous people. Just attach it in an email.

Now how to gift a book, go to the book's page and click on gift this book. It will be in the box where you buy the book. Note this will cost you the price of the book.
Thanks so much!
I'd assumed I'd have to make a PDF everytime I wanted to send one as the "original" would 'disappear' from my documents lol. Thanks for the Kindle gift info too, I'm more than happy to pay for the copies I send since it's for a worthy cause, oh BTW does gifting have any impact on your sales either good or bad?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,722 Posts
I have no idea on gifting and sales. 
Oh one little thing, if you gift someone a book, they can trade it for a gift certificate.

Now since you seem new to computers, you can also attach an external device or hard drive and copy files to there and they will be in both places.  Or to Google Drive or drop box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
I think you can only gift a book via Amazon if you're in the US. Certainly you can't do it here in the UK. But you can make (or download from kdp) a mobi file (and I would recommend an epub as well) and email those out. Reading a book in pdf form isn't much fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rosclarke said:
I think you can only gift a book via Amazon if you're in the US. Certainly you can't do it here in the UK. But you can make (or download from kdp) a mobi file (and I would recommend an epub as well) and email those out. Reading a book in pdf form isn't much fun.
Thanks
Being an Australian I had no idea sending a gift was limited to the States. I'll definitely send out Mobi or epub files to those I want to gift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
I had an author send me a gift copy of her book through Kindle. I got an email saying she sent it, and I clicked the link which took me to the book page where I could download.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,722 Posts
Michael J Elliott said:
Thanks
Being an Australian I had no idea sending a gift was limited to the States. I'll definitely send out Mobi or epub files to those I want to gift.
I have been gifted a book from Australia.
To the person in the UK, are you on your author page or the book's page. You cannot do it from your author page.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,722 Posts
The reason I know Australia can gift books is because I was gifted one.  Now I did have to get a gift card because I already owned that book.  Funny thing was with the exchange rate: the gift card was for 87 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,470 Posts
On Amazon.com, there's a button on the right side of the page for each Kindle book that says "Give as a Gift." As long as you know the email address the person uses to purchase Kindle books, you can very easily gift them copies. You have to pay for the copies, of course, but you get back some of that cost in royalties.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
cinisajoy said:
The reason I know Australia can gift books is because I was gifted one. Now I did have to get a gift card because I already owned that book. Funny thing was with the exchange rate: the gift card was for 87 cents.
This may be the case if the Australian person has their account through the .com site. Before the .com.au site opened, everyone who bought ebooks from Amazon in Australia had to shop through .com, and would have had access to .com's features. Many Australians still use .com for ebooks, but some migrated their accounts over to .com.au when it became available, and new customers are automatically sent to the .com.au site.

I use the .com.au site, and I don't see any option anywhere to gift books. There are only Buy buttons and Sample buttons. I don't believe the feature is available to me (though it may be to the OP, depending on how his account is set up).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,722 Posts
Hmmm, cause this was just in the last couple of months. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Marina Finlayson said:
This may be the case if the Australian person has their account through the .com site. Before the .com.au site opened, everyone who bought ebooks from Amazon in Australia had to shop through .com, and would have had access to .com's features. Many Australians still use .com for ebooks, but some migrated their accounts over to .com.au when it became available, and new customers are automatically sent to the .com.au site.

I use the .com.au site, and I don't see any option anywhere to gift books. There are only Buy buttons and Sample buttons. I don't believe the feature is available to me (though it may be to the OP, depending on how his account is set up).
Yes, I'm on Amazon.au and I couldn't find my first 5 star review on .com because it had been published on .au The same applied to reviews I'd written for others till another author friend had a lightbulb moment and went to .au and found the review I'd written for him. I've looked everywhere for the gift button but it doesn't seem to be on the right hand siide, perhaps it is correct that Australian authors can't gift. I will go to .au and see if it's available there, thanks for the info Marina :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,722 Posts
Yes your review was published on .com if you lost the review I think you did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Piggybacking off this thread, since it's relevant to my question.

Is there a limit to the amount of copies you can gift out before Amazon gets angry?  I intend to use Amazon as a way to provide giveaway copies to people, and I'm not sure how many I can give away without getting in trouble.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top