Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering how I can change the price of one of my books to free for a day for promotion purposes.  Do I have to go through the whole editing process and change the price to $.00?

Thank you,
Tela

·
Registered
782 Posts
telat said:
I am wondering how I can change the price of one of my books to free for a day for promotion purposes. Do I have to go through the whole editing process and change the price to $.00?

Thank you,
Tela
Unless something's changed, Amazon hasn't of yet allowed us the capability to do that. You can do it on Smashwords and then generate a coupon code, but so far, you can't do free on KDP.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
As far as the Kindle store, the only way you can do this is to make the book free somewhere else, like Smashwords, and then wait and see if Amazon picks up on the $0.00 and makes your book free on their site.  That is how folks on here have gotten their books to be free on Amazon, but it doesn't always happen, and when it does, it takes a while.  Then you can raise the price back up on Smashwords, and wait for Amazon to change theirs again. 

It's out of your control, unfortunately, but that's because Amazon does not want to spend money cataloging, advertising, and serving up downloads on books they make no money from.  Sometimes I wonder why they don't make freeness an option, with authors picking up the tab for the download fee (as they do now with their 70% books).  That seems fair to both.  Maybe someday...

--Maria

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, then I would have to gift it to someone in order to 'give' it away.  I would still pay my price for it, just send it to someone as a gift.  Can we do that?

Tela

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Hello Tela,

You could do that, but you'd be much better off emailing them a .mobi copy of your book (the one that was created when you converted it into a Kindle book that will be saved on your hard drive) as an attachment in an email. Save your money!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
If you post it at Smashwords, they send you all the file links. So you can send out .pdf's or .rtf's or .mobi's or whatever file works with the person you want to send it to.

Also, you can send out the .mobi file that you made, before you uploaded to Kindle.

Although, I did pay for a copy of my own book on Amazon, just to have it. And to have at least one sale! Squee! LOL!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts