Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I returned a book recently after discovering that I could get the first 3 novels bundled for only a few dollars more. Here's the reply directly from Amazon:

Hello from Amazon.com.

Thank you for writing about returning "One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, No. 1)", which you recently purchased for your Kindle. You can return any item purchased from the Kindle Store within seven days of purchase.

Refunds are issued to the payment method used to make the original purchase and usually complete within 2 to 3 business days.

Information about making purchases and managing your content is also available in the Kindle User's Guide on your Kindle or on our Kindle Support pages here:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport *to email use the "Contact Us" button on the right side of screen*

I hope you found this information useful. Our goal is to help you get the most out of your Kindle experience. If you need further assistance, please contact customer support at 1-866-321-8851.

Thank you for choosing Kindle.

HOW DO I DELETE AN ITEM FROM MY KINDLE?
1. Select "Content Manager" from the Home screen menu.
2. Select one or more of the items listed using the check boxes to the right of each item.
3. Select "Remove Selected Items" from the Content Manager Menu.
4. Select "OK" to confirm or "Cancel" to abort.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
This happened to me today. I e-mailed them from the site, provided my order number, and asked for a cancellation because I ordered the book accidentally. Within hours, I got pretty much the same e-mail as the one posted above. Couldn't have been any easier. I love Amazon!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
CS said:
This happened to me today. I e-mailed them from the site, provided my order number, and asked for a cancellation because I ordered the book accidentally. Within hours, I got pretty much the same e-mail as the one posted above. Couldn't have been any easier. I love Amazon!
Yeah...it's great. I had my money back the next morning. Very easy, no questions asked. Personally, I think 7 days is a little too much time to allow for a refund but I'm not going to complain.

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
I didn't even have to ask!  I'd subscribed to a monthly magazine and had been delivered 2 issues.  By the time I read the second, I'd decided that I didn't really want it, but I was past the 14 days.  So I canceled it, fully expecting to be billed for at least one month anyway.  Well, when my CC bill came, there was indeed a charge, but there was a credit back right under it for the same amount.  Pretty cool!

Ann

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
I just had an interesting conversation with Amazon.com customer service.

Here's the whole boring background:

As some of you know, I've priced the Kindle versions of the books I've written at $.99 but somehow the old versions, with Amazon's initial pricing of $9.99, have remained in the Kindle Store. Repeated emails to Amazon's Digital Text Platform and anyone else at Amazon have yielded no useful response.

Here's what happened today:

I bought Gone For a Soldier, The Treasure of La Malinche volume 1 and volume 2 to be delivered to my wife's new (refurbished) Kindle. Naturally, I picked the 99 cent versions of the three books. When I saw the bill however, I'd been charged $9.99 for volume 2 so I called Kindle support. The polite gentleman on the phone told me that the publisher had control of the pricing, not Amazon. I told him that I was the publisher/author and that I had no books listed at $9.99 in my publisher's control panel. He said he was sorry but there was nothing he could do.

Frustrated, I asked him to refund the $9.99 and he said that wasn't possible.

After I hung up, I went to look at the Amazon sales report and guess what I found. My two 99 cent purchases were there but not the $9.99 purchase. In fact, in the month and a half that the books have been available, not one single person has ever bought a $9.99 title and no one has ever bought volume 2 at any price. Not me, not Kirstin - nobody.

Anybody have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Wow, Jeff!!

First thought is to call back and ask to speak to a supervisor.

Also, I'm guessing from what you said that it was more than 7 days?  Because you CAN return the book within 7 days.

Betsy

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
First thought is to call back and ask to speak to a supervisor.

Also, I'm guessing from what you said that it was more than 7 days? Because you CAN return the book within 7 days.
Betsy,

I suppose you're right. I'll have to try to talk to a supervisor.

It was within seven minutes and he said it wasn't possible.

Frankly I'm less concerned about the 9 dollars than I am about the copies of my books that Amazon's sold without paying me the royalty or moving the titles up in the ranking.

I'd appreciate it if anyone that's bought volume 2 or has paid the higher price send me a PM. Kirstin and I discussed it on an open thread here somewhere but now I can't find it. I need ammo.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Jeff's concern is that he was overcharged for his own book; yet only paid royalties at the lower price.  Any one else buy his book and pay $9.99?

Jeff's three books are
Gone For a Soldier, The Treasure of La Malinche volume 1 and volume 2.  He was overcharged for Vol 2 of The Treasure of La Malinche.

Anyone else get overbilled for one of Jeff's books?  Send him a PM!

Betsy

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Jeff's concern is that he was overcharged for his own book; yet only paid royalties at the lower price.
Thanks Betsy,

Not to put too fine a point on it but Amazon isn't paying royalties on the lower price; they're simply not showing any of the 9.99 sales at all. For example, they show zero sales for volume 2, yet I bought one copy and at least 2 people on this board have as well.

If I had any idea of how many people bought the higher priced books it might give me a little more clout. I will, of course, try to get the reader's money refunded as well.

JH

1 - 14 of 14 Posts