Kindle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do most audiobook narrators read tables or charts on audiobook to make it listener friendly?
What if the table has 5 rows and 5 columns?

OR is it recommended to just skip the tables or things like that for audiobooks? generally speaking?

Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is this for fiction or non-fiction? What is the data in the table?

I ran into this issue when I commissioned an audiobook for my litrpg novel. For those not familiar with the genre, it's largely fantasy adventure stories with the conceit that the magic system operates off of some kind of RPG sort of rules. Thus, character sheets are often shown on screen. Readers expect it, and it's a convenient way to do exposition. It's also terrible audio to read off a list of numerical attributes.

What I did was go through the manuscript and replace each table with a paragraph or two of narrative summarizing the important points that the reader would be expected to take away from reading the character sheet. If something like that is possible for your data, that's what I would recommend.

Otherwise, maybe have the narrator just refer to the table and provide links to it in convenient form somewhere. I feel like reading a five by five column of numbers can't possibly be the right call. Maybe somebody has experience that points the other way, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts