Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know, I'm from the UK. In the UK we have commercials just like you do on our TVs, but the biggest difference is that our commercials are well spaced apart. In some cases twenty minutes apart or at least it was when I was there last (five and a half years ago). Over here, your commercials are every five minutes when the movie you are watching is a big and popular one. Or a show like House is on. Doesn't this drive you to distraction?

In the last two years I've completely stopped watching American TV, not because it isn't any good, on the contrary I love shows like "Bones" and "Lie to me" "House" and "Lost" but I simply cannot deal with these Ads, it makes the watching of any of your good TV unbearable.

Instead, I wait for the seasons or a movie to come out onto DVD. So how do you deal with it all? Have you just accepted the way it is, or would you like to see it change?

Carl

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Tivo...  ;)

Edit: Don't watch much television anyway but I don't remember the last commercial I watched. LOL

·
Registered
91 Posts
I suppose we acclimated to it by now.  It's been that way for years. 

·
Registered
231 Posts
I remember when, many, many moons ago, they tried promoting the (golden rain) out of subscription TV (cable) as having no commercials.  What was the first thing they broadcast?  Yup; a real 'gotcha sucker' deal.  I didn't own a TV then and I still don't, that's how I put up with it.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
First of all, I don't have cable.  I watch TV entirely on Hulu -- which has slightly fewer ads than they used to have when TV ads were regulated. (It used to be two minutes out of every fifteen -- Hulu is about one minute.)

I also watch some shows as podcasts.  Otherwise, like others here, I watch on DVD.  Or I watch old TV shows.  Very old ones.

Camille

·
Registered
12,290 Posts
Carl246 said:
As most of you know, I'm from the UK. In the UK we have commercials just like you do on our TVs, but the biggest difference is that our commercials are well spaced apart. In some cases twenty minutes apart or at least it was when I was there last (five and a half years ago). Over here, your commercials are every five minutes when the movie you are watching is a big and popular one. Or a show like House is on. Doesn't this drive you to distraction?
Yes, it does. Unfortunately I don't think they're likely to stop on my account.

·
Registered
231 Posts
OK, I do need to backpedal on that last post.  I should have said 'didn't watch'; like Holly, I do have one for the kids' movies and games.  Hard to think of it as a TV.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
dvd both seasons of "Castle". Working on getting all seasons of "Bones". then it's all back seasons of "NCIS".

·
Registered
125 Posts
Television is it's own world in the sense that commercial breaks are the norm and those who write for TV write around it.  With many shows, it's become a creative element to work with - so much so that when the shows are released on DVD, it cuts to black in order to preserve the use of a commercial break as punctuation within the storyline.

As for movies that get put on TV, commercials are a much more intrusive situation but it also comes with the notion that by the time it makes it to TV - most people have already seen it so what does it matter? Of course, many viewers still find it a bother which I totally understand.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I do the DVD series thing too -- we still have a little of The Wire to go. We should have been done with it a while ago, but I hate saying goodbye.  :)

Anyhow, if a series gets good reviews and seems like my thing I'll take the leap and just go ahead and get it, sight unseen.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
TIVO, ff thru the commericals and the ones that are repeated enough for me to remember them I will write the companies and explain to them just how annoying it is to see their tampax commerical 8 times in a one hour show.  I then nicely explain to them they have caused me to have a serious aversion to their product it has left such a bad impression on me.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.