Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been like a kid in a candy store the last week!  I am having such a blast with all this.  I suppose I will eventually settle on a favorite skin/cover/bag combo...

What I would like is opinions on how to accomplish the main goal, which is to take my Kindle with me everywhere, safely.  (and of course to look cute while I'm doing that.)  I don't want to carry more than 1 purse/bag, and have heard that the oberons are a bit heavy.  I don't feel that the standard Amazon case is protective enough for me to just shove it in my purse & not worry.  I'm waffling between a sleeve & a cover...

Some options that I've thought of...

1. M-edge/Noreve cover, just put in whatever purse I happen to be carrying.  Safe enough?  Screen protected?

2. Oberon journal (with Kindle still in Amazon cover), also just put in whatever purse I'm carrying.  Same concerns, plus, possibly too heavy/bulky?  I don't like big &/or heavy purses.

3. Neoprene sleeve (with or without Amazon cover, most likely without).  What if I drop my Kindle while reading?

4. Borsa Bella bag to be used as a purse...with a pocket for my Kindle.  Needs to have enough room for the rest of my crap (wallet, keys, cell phone, etc).  Is the travel bag big enough?  

Please tell me what you are using, and why it is working well for you.  Much appreciated!!

Kim

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I use the Oberon Journal with Kindle Case inside personally and love it.  I just really feel like it's well protected and I really like the look of it, but I've always been a sucker for beautiful leather books.  As for weight it does come in at about 22 ounces which is about 5 ounces or so less than a 350 page hardback.  It's certainly not as lightweight as some covers out there, but I actually like the feel of it... and again they're really gorgeous and Oberon Designs is just a fantastic company to do business with.  The hinge system is also a huge plus for me.  I'm not a fan of straps or velcro.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I just shoved my kindle in my purse with the stock cover it came with. Never had a problem. Felt it was protected fine. But I don't keep a lot of loose stuff in my purse. If you have a lot of loose stuff, like change or nail files or gum wrappers I'd want it in slip in bag too. I wouldn't want something slipping in there and scratching the screen. But if you are well organized just a cover should be fine.

I haven't gotten my Borsa Bella travel bag yet but I tend to not think that I could use it to hold all my stuff and my kindle. I have a big wallet though. You could probably do it if you don't carry much stuff with you.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
The travel bag would be pushing it to carry everything unless you have a very slim wallet.  I actually purchased a secondary wallet for when I have to go strictly with using the travel bag.

Also, I believe that the modified BB purse someone else mentioned has a non padded Kindle pocket. She was going to use it with a cover.  Even with a padded pocket, there's no way I'd put a naked kindle into most purses without a little more protection than that.  Most of us do carry more with us than we probably should, and mere padding alone isn't dependable when you're dealing with a fragile screen.

I quickly found that my purse collection didn't fit my Oberon/Kindle combination (yes, that was an excuse to buy new purses!)  I also found that I really didn't like the added weight of the Oberon, both in reading, and in carrying.  Even those of us who used to carry books everywhere we went generally didn't carry hardcovers, and that's really what you're looking at weight-wise.  The bulk kept many of my purses from closing, and because it was so pretty, I felt like it HAD to have an additional bag to protect it from everything else.  More weight & more space taken up!

Tried the BB naked Kindle sleeve. I love Melissa, I have several of her products, but I never felt this one was safe enough.  The padding, again, takes up a fair amount of space in a purse, and I had to reinforce it with other things across the screen area to make it feel more protective.  I was just never comfortable with that idea.  As far as neoprene goes, again, I wouldn't trust it as a full time carry solution for the same reasons as the naked Kindle bag--not enough rigidity in the front to protect the screen against impacts.  I have a neoprene carrier for my SLR camera body & lenses--even the creator says "this is not a full time bag!"

Last week, I finally bought the Amazon K2 cover, and that's what I'm using 100% around the house now.  It's a lot lighter than the Oberon, a lot slimmer, and I've found I really like the feel of the soft dark grey liner. I'd have no issue with carrying it in my purse, although I would definitely want to use an elastic closure of some sort. The hinges mean I have the floating look without the noise & lint catching abilities of velcro, and though I liked the corners on the Oberon well enough, now that I don't have to see them constantly, I much prefer doing without them.  The big disadvantage to the Amazon cover, of course, is the boring appearance--I plan to recover it as others on the board have recently.  The Oberon has sat in a drawer since the Amazon cover came home.  I could get away with no cover at all, but I need a place to put my book light. :)

For outside the house currently, I use a TrendyDigital Simplicity Sleeve. This has been wonderful!  It has an even slimmer and lighter form factor than the Amazon cover, and yet when you handle one, you'll figure out quickly that it provides good protection for the Kindle.  Because it's not real leather, and it's passed my scratch tests, I don't need a second bag to protect IT from my purse.  And it fits in purses that the Oberon took up too much room in; in fact, because of its shorter height and width, I can often put it sideways in purses that otherwise couldn't carry a kindle.  Could I drop the Kindle while reading it without a cover?  Of course I could, but I'm a lot more careful with it when it's outside the sleeve, and day to day I've found I read it far more at home anyway.  And I went with SquareTrade's extended warranty with accidental damage coverage just in case.

From what I've read, I don't see any reason you couldn't put an M-Edge or Noreve directly into a purse, and either of them should provide good protection, as does the Oberon.  We've got a weight thread around somewhere that lists weights for most of the covers on the market if that's your concern, and we've also had a number of people here who've tried more than one brand, so comparisons aren't uncommon.  You should be able to find a ton of information on each brand here, and when you narrow things down more specifically, there will be someone here with the options you're looking at who can answer more specific questions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts