Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to maybe get a writing funk after each story I write (I like to call it goodbye sorrows), but after writing thirty three short stories and three novellas, I'm at that point where I'm concerned it will take longer to write again.

How do you cope with goodbye sorrows?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I guess I'm a different sort of cat, because I'm happy when I'm done with a project, not sad.  It means that I succeeded in completing my goal of writing the story.  And I wouldn't have started the story if I wasn't excited about the premise.  I'm also happy because it means that I can then start a new story that I'm excited about.  So, it looks like I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Evaluate why you are in a slump.  Correct that reason if you can. 

Most authors I have talked to that hit roadblocks end up revealing that it's not the writing that's the issue but other things.  Stress is a big one.  Sacrificed time away from other activities that make you happy to write reinforces that writing is not fun.  Poor sales is a big one.  The last thousand hours didn't even return enough to cover the cost of editing and a cover.  We live and are conditioned for a world of instant gratification.  Working on something for months or even years that fails to meet our expectations can be devastating.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I like to take a long walk out in the woods, happen upon some dead animal, poke at it a few times with a stick. It works for me.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
LWFlouisa said:
I used to maybe get a writing funk after each story I write (I like to call it goodbye sorrows), but after writing thirty three short stories and three novellas, I'm at that point where I'm concerned it will take longer to write again.

How do you cope with goodbye sorrows?
I read a good book or two. Reading something great inspires me to keep moving forward.

·
0 Posts
I sit drinking pints of Jack Daniels and coke until I can motive myself to crack on with it... like I am doing now. I mean, come on! Three weeks to do three chapters... I need to get my butt in gear.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Read. (Read things unlike what you were writing.)

Or even watch TV or movies. Or play games.

Or even do non-intellectual, non-story things like cooking or woodworking.

Get away from the patterns your mind has been in, refresh it.  Imagine that you could be giving your mind a repetitive stress injury by not giving it enough of a break or enough variable activities.

Sometimes I find that I can give my mind a break while working by changing up the activity.  I've I've been drafting and polishing, I move to brainstorming.  Or I play story generation games.  But mostly, if your brain is tired and doesn't wanna... give it a break.

Camille

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm in the same boat, it's not the writing... it's other things. I have the ideas its just that part about getting them down on to paper.

I think that reading really helps, but sometimes it can be other things like movies or even music that gets you going again.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
J.L. McPherson said:
I like to take a long walk out in the woods, happen upon some dead animal, poke at it a few times with a stick. It works for me.
Ah....so that's the cure. :p

What I find difficult is going from editing mode to writing mode and back again. Maybe I should write three novels at a time and then edit them. lol.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
I start writing the next story. I'm wondering if there might be a writer's high, where you're excited to write and finish a story and then want that hit again so you start the next story.

Or maybe it's just a creative high. I know I have some musician friends and artist friends who feel the same thing sometimes. Whatever the case, I haven't had a writing funk in a while because I just push forward and write every day. Even when I don't feel like it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
J.L. McPherson said:
I poked a dead animal with a stick once. I had to run away because it poked me back!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I understand the feeling, although after numerous edits and re drafts I am often quite happy to final have a project completed. I think taking a step back helps, celebrating and taking stock of what a great achievement finishing a piece of writing is. Knowing what a great sense of accomplishment awaits me when I finish normally spurs me onto the next project.

Outside of that I like to read new books when I finish. The best ones will normally inspire me to get writing again, encouraging me to try and produce something of that quality. I like the challenge of writing and seeing improvement in my writing as I continue to do so. Finishing a project can be a great because it lets you apply what you've learned to the next one.  ;)

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I just take a break for a bit, to be honest. I often wander off and do some acting.

You don't get in trouble for it, honestly. I checked :)

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Micah Ackerman said:
I'm in the same boat, it's not the writing... it's other things. I have the ideas its just that part about getting them down on to paper.

I think that reading really helps, but sometimes it can be other things like movies or even music that gets you going again.
That's a different problem from writing burnout -- which is what the OP was describing (or seemed to be describing).

If your problem is that you have ideas but don't get them down on paper, the solution is pretty basic: Tape a sign that says "Dare to be bad" over your computer, set a timer and start putting down words. And keep doing that until you like the words you're putting down. (Or to put it another way "How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, man, practice!")

This works surprisingly well even for old dogs who don't think they should have to do that any more.

Camille

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess it's stress, though about what about the writing I'm unsure. I think part of it my writing is so different now than what it was. Like I originally wanted to write horror, then went onto apocalyptic science fiction, then cyberpunk, then cyberpunk/portal fantasy, historical fantasy, all the way around again back to horror.:/

One of those unsure why I left horror moods.

I think I'm mainly getting tired of the old science fiction I was writing, and my historical fantasy is getting there. So I might change it up a little bit, and try something new.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I think Iust be the most boring writer ever. I was happy to finish the main writing of one book yesterday, and I'm happy to start a new book today. I will be underwhelmed next week when I have to edit, annoyed when I have to do a final read through, and thoroughly thrilled with myself when I finish my daily chapter counts. I just kind of force myself to chug on because the wirk has to be done. If I don't write, I don't eat (and more importantly buy new shoes). I just try to stay on an even level. It doesn't always work, but it does often work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts