Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past couple of years I've had the occasional request from someone who says they enjoyed my first book, but can't afford the second one and could I send them a free copy. So far I always have done, simply because it is no real loss to me and I send it with a note saying that if they enjoyed it then I hope they will leave a review on Goodreads or similar. (Though to my knowledge none of them ever have). But just recently I've noticed an increase in requests and some of them are quite "cheeky". I love my readers and I don't want anyone to miss out, but where do you draw the line?

·
Registered
788 Posts
I don't know the author perspective on this one, but as a reader, I'd never expect an author to gift me her work. You worked hard to put those books out and you put money into it.
It's one thing if the reader can give you something back for the free copy, like I heard of an author making a reader that gave her tons of feedback on each of her books a beta.
Maybe you can send them a link to your newsletter and say, "I'm sorry you can't afford my books at this time. If you'd like to know when my books will be on sale you can subscribe to my newsletter."
I think you've been super kind to be giving copies for free thus far :)

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Julz said:
Maybe you can send them a link to your newsletter and say, "I'm sorry you can't afford my books at this time. If you'd like to know when my books will be on sale you can subscribe to my newsletter."
I think you've been super kind to be giving copies for free thus far :)
This is what I would do, too.

For some bizarre-o reason I get a lot of requests for my trade published stuff. They're almost always from Romania, and they always say they want it so they can review it on their blog. (I've sold a lot of foreign rights, but never to Romania, oddly enough.)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I drew the line at "No," not a week after my second novel was released. Well, in a manner of speaking. I didn't even make a reply. I was too flabbergasted that anyone would have the chutzpah to make such a request in the first place.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I'm generally of the "give my books away when I can" approach. I figure it's better I give them a free book than they pirate it and who knows -- they might become a reader for life and buy all my new books. They might also be a pirate who will copy my book and sell it, but you really can't stop those kind of people so I don't even worry about them. That happens no matter what I do. Yes, this is a pretty Pollyannaistic approach to business, but I prefer to see the world through rose-tinted glasses. 8)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If they say they've read your first book, maybe ask them to review it before sending the sequel? Something like; "I'm currently offering a free copy of book #2 to anyone who's reviewed book #1. If you send me a link to an honest review you post, I'd be delighted to give you a copy of the sequel!"

That way you're not denying them - but, at the same time, you're not giving your work away for nothing. ;)

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Something sounds fishy and don't ask me why.
Now I did tell one friend that is one author was a pen name of someone, please tell HIM that I would like a copy of a book.  The HIM had told me before to let HIM know which books I wanted.
The pen name was someone else but very flattered since she knew the other author.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Darcy said:
If they say they've read your first book, maybe ask them to review it before sending the sequel? Something like; "I'm currently offering a free copy of book #2 to anyone who's reviewed book #1. If you send me a link to an honest review you post, I'd be delighted to give you a copy of the sequel!"

That way you're not denying them - but, at the same time, you're not giving your work away for nothing. ;)
I think this is a very good way to handle it.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Darcy said:

That's what I was going to say. I make that offer to my newsletter subscribers if they've already read my freebie.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Darcy said:

That's good, I'll try it, thanks :)

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Good thoughts here.  I just say yes, of course, and asked for a review if they get a chance.  But I've never been inundated, either. 

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
I just declined to send 3 of my full length POD books to someone claiming to be from and indie review site. The Indian address rang bells the web site quoted was one letter different than the review site they quoted. Not sure what they wanted them for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts