Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you market your books on Kobo, B&N, apple etc when you publish through smashwords. I've started to upload 12 short stories and I want to be ready to market them for when they appear in the various catalogues.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I don't :)

Blog tours, twitter, web pages, all of that are ways to reach readers of every stripe.  Other than that, no brainwaves for you!

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kookoo88 said:
nookboards is similar to kindleboards. Other than that I haven't found a lot of ways to promote elsewhere.
I know nook have a forum. Is it the same with Kobo and Apple? Do they have author pages for you to fill in, or do smashwords distribute your bio?

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Herc- The Reluctant Geek said:
Prayer appears to be the only effective strategy, as far as I can tell.
Ha ha,the prayer worked. I've sold one and had 5 of theo ther sampled on smashwords.

·
Registered
115 Posts
kookoo88 said:
nookboards is similar to kindleboards. Other than that I haven't found a lot of ways to promote elsewhere.
I distribute through bookbaby which means The Growing Dim Project is available through iPad apps, Sony Reader, BN, and amazon.

The nook boards do not seem to be as active as kindle, which is odd, because I have a nook, yet here I am on Kindleboards as much as possible.

Nicholas.

·
Registered
869 Posts
nicholasmcgirr said:
I distribute through bookbaby which means The Growing Dim Project is available through iPad apps, Sony Reader, BN, and amazon.

The nook boards do not seem to be as active as kindle, which is odd, because I have a nook, yet here I am on Kindleboards as much as possible.

Nicholas.
My wife has the nook as well. B&N's website also has their own forums for readers. The fact of the matter is that Amazon pretty much blows everyone else away when it comes to sales and a lot of authors really like the kindleboards as do a lot of readers. Mobilereads is another good site that caters to readers of ebooks more than writers. I don't know of anything specific for iPad, Sony or Kobo. I think there's a lot of forums for Apple fans, but I'm not familiar with them. Honestly, I have a hard time keeping up on one forum, let alone a hundred or so. ;)

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Victorine said:
I sold more on B&N than on Amazon today. How did that happen? I have no idea. I'm on here a lot, and I do nothing on Nook boards or anything else Nook related.

Go figure.

Vicki
Agreed. I somehow pull out $30 or $40 on B&N somehow. The only time I see the words Barnes & Noble are when I pass by it on the freeway. lol

·
Registered
977 Posts
I used to participate in the Nook forums, but the return on my time invested wasn't worth it. So, I guess I don't (market) to them either. I have the links to my books on my blog and try to use the Nook, iPad, Sony or Kobo hashtag if space allows when I tweet. It really is a mystery.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Victorine said:
I sold more on B&N than on Amazon today. How did that happen? I have no idea. I'm on here a lot, and I do nothing on Nook boards or anything else Nook related.

Go figure.

Vicki
Wow, that's fabulous, Vicki.

Declan, I publish through smashwords and have no idea how many I sell until the statements come through. No clue how to publicise the fact my books are on there except through my blog and twitter.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Kindle, nook, Kobo... does getting out on the boards really sell the books anyway? What would happen if you didn't? Seriously. I wonder how many readers of our posts actually glance at the signatures and say: 'I must buy that.'
I'd like to think that it did work and that it does matter... but owing to OH being in hospital I haven't been on the boards for yonks and yet I am selling. How come? Even my blog and tweets have diminished just lately. So what really does the trick? Damned if I know. May be its that one star review I got in the UK.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mesmered said:
Kindle, nook, Kobo... does getting out on the boards really sell the books anyway? What would happen if you didn't? Seriously. I wonder how many readers of our posts actually glance at the signatures and say: 'I must buy that.'
I'd like to think that it did work and that it does matter... but owing to OH being in hospital I haven't been on the boards for yonks and yet I am selling. How come? Even my blog and tweets have diminished just lately. So what really does the trick? Damned if I know. May be its that one star review I got in the UK.
I can only say I have had two responses this week on kindleboards from readers telling me they have bought one of my books. On a writers forum I recieved an email this week from a reader saying they had bought my book in response to a post. How many buy on the forums and don't tell you? .. who knows.

I have no doubt I would still make sales if I didn't post from the many other media of interviews and blog posts I have set up, but posting on threads does bring in additional sales.

Ku forum in the UK is very slow, but when I post on there my sales increase.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
It is really, really hard to tell what, if anything, any of the 'marketing' an author does is of any use at all.  Sometimes I kind of think that Amazon really does this for us with it's algorithms, but that could be dangerous thinking. 

And maybe the Apple/Nook issue is a test of that as I do NO marketing over there at all--or that's directed at Nook/I-pad owners, and yet, I sell a good number of books in those venues.  I suspect they have their own algorithms that time also gets you noticed for, but the formula is different.

Kindleboards, for me, is conversation with other readers and writers.  Blogs and such?  I suspect they do get the word out.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
It's so weird. I sell better on B&N by about a 2-1 margin. I have no idea why. I can only assume that smut sells better on B&N -- perhaps the market is less crowded over there?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Through Smashwords I sell the most books on Kobo. Except for a twitter hashtag, I haven't promoted a thing. What's really odd is that I can't find my books at all on the Borders website. I've searched by my name and by the names of the books and they just don't come up. It's a mystery.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' said:
Through Smashwords I sell the most books on Kobo. Except for a twitter hashtag, I haven't promoted a thing. What's really odd is that I can't find my books at all on the Borders website. I've searched by my name and by the names of the books and they just don't come up. It's a mystery.
Thanks for pointing out the twitter hashtag. Better to use than not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts