Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I love a good short story. Something you can read during your lunch break at work. ;D

I'm a huge fan of Robert E. Howard and his stuff was almost exclusively short fiction. Same with a lot of the old pulp tales.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Nancy Fulda said:
I was just wondering how the kindle readers feel about short fiction. Do you read them at all? If so, do you prefer to buy stories individually or to buy them grouped in an anthology?
Bundled. :)

·
Super Moderator
67,458 Posts
I'm not a big reader of short stories in general. . .but I have picked up a few of the free shorts as they come up.  I'm am extremely unlikely to pay for a single short story and I'm also unlikely to buy a collection of shorts by one author.  I have occasionally purchased an anthology by multiple authors.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I try to buy (and um, sell) bundled. I love short stories but I think I only tend to buy a single or two together if I really trust the source to be entertaining. For instance, I believe the only singles I have right now are Neil Gaiman's ;)

Actually, how short are you talking? I'd give someone new a $0.99 shot for 5k words or more.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I buy short stories, generally bundled but I'll buy them as singles too depending on the breaks.  For instance:

Looking to see if Jack Ketchum had anything new out on Kindle, I ran across a listing for "Midlisters" by Kealan Patrick Burke, a novella for which Ketchum did an intro.  Tried it, liked it, bought Burke's short story collections and a few of his singles, and will soon be buying the rest.  (And one of those singles, "Empathy," is one of the scariest stories I've read in quite a while -- if you're the type who won't pay 99 cents for one short story, make an exception here, because it's worth it.)

Stumbled across James Everington while looking for new Ramsey Campbell; bought his collection THE OTHER ROOM and will buy his new single short story some time this week.  Looking for Raymond Carver, found Neil Schiller's OBLIVIOUS (Everington's review helped there too).

Most of these are bundles, but if I run across a good one I'm more than happy to buy singles.  But it doesn't surprise me that more people seem to prefer bundles.  When novels and collections from indies are going for 99 cents, quite a few readers may feel like they're not getting good weight if they buy a single. 

My own experience: I've got an ebook of three stories out there and a more recent single.  The first has sold about 40 copies since October; the second has sold almost zip since it went up in April.  In the future when doing short stories, I'll wait until I've got at least 5 or 6, bundle them, and have one up on Smashwords as a larger free sample.  Even sales of my 3-story ebook were almost non-existent until I put one of the stories out free on Smashwords.  I doubt my experience is unique.  Ebook readers are more than happy these days to try out indie writers, but that may not apply so much to single short stories, where the minimum price of 99 cents could be buying them novels and collections instead.  It's a shame that a single can't be priced at 25 cents, with some sort of word limit to keep the same effect from kicking in at the lower price point.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey for everyone who's answered "singles," how do you find them? I'd buy singles if I knew of good sources. And, not to go too OT, but if you had a choice to read a single story free online, or pay .99 - 1.49 to read it on kindle, which would you be more likely to do?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bundled, both single and multi-author collections. For some reason, I won't buy a single short story. I think I just read so fast that it hardly seems worth the time and effort to choose, then download it.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'm with ColinJ as a huge fan of Robert E Howard, and the old style pulps in general.

I generally read collections, but will read singular shorts as well.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
kiyash said:
Hey for everyone who's answered "singles," how do you find them? I'd buy singles if I knew of good sources. And, not to go too OT, but if you had a choice to read a single story free online, or pay .99 - 1.49 to read it on kindle, which would you be more likely to do?
For me, I find them through the small press grapevine. I keep on eye on any short works that come out of my publishers (MuseItUp and Mundanias). Also, I keep an eye out on Double Dragon and Smashwords. Finally, I keep a lookout for Canadian authors who are publishing their backlists. Some have won awards with their short stories (i.e. Douglas Smith, Brent Knowles), so it's really great when these folks put up their works (therefore I keep a look out).

If you like SF, Brent Knowles (Digital Rights) and Rebecca Senese (Beyond Reach) are single-title shorts (they are novella-length, so not really short). If you like collections of SF&F, Douglas Smith (Chimerascope) is one of best SF&F collections I've read. "Shadows of the Emerald City" is an anthology I recommend if you like horror, dark, and twisted...and The Wizard of Oz.

Re: reading. I generally don't read stories online for free. I'm happy to pay for the ability to download the file.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Krista D. Ball said:
For me, I find them through the small press grapevine. I keep on eye on any short works that come out of my publishers (MuseItUp and Mundanias). Also, I keep an eye out on Double Dragon and Smashwords. Finally, I keep a lookout for Canadian authors who are publishing their backlists. Some have won awards with their short stories (i.e. Douglas Smith, Brent Knowles), so it's really great when these folks put up their works (therefore I keep a look out).

If you like SF, Brent Knowles (Digital Rights) and Rebecca Senese (Beyond Reach) are single-title shorts (they are novella-length, so not really short). If you like collections of SF&F, Douglas Smith (Chimerascope) is one of best SF&F collections I've read. "Shadows of the Emerald City" is an anthology I recommend if you like horror, dark, and twisted...and The Wizard of Oz.

Re: reading. I generally don't read stories online for free. I'm happy to pay for the ability to download the file.
Thanks Krista! I'll check out the SF writers you recommended. It's really helpful to know how shorts make it from writer to reader (and I know there are many paths). It's also very cool to know which reviewers and presses people trust for quality short fiction.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
For me I like them bundled. I think there is something psychological to this. If I see a short story for .99 and a bundle of 3 for 2.99, I'm more likely to go for the 2.99. It's the same price for both but with the second I've deemed it novel length and more worth the 2.99. Yeah it's a little odd but this sort of logic usually is. :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts