Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you reduce microsoft word :mad: file size ...or reduce image file size for large files?

I have some ebooks with many images and thus the overall ebook file size is too big for barneandnoble ebook platform as they say it needs to be below 5 mb or 5 something.

Does anyone know how to reduce word file size or image file size or compress the word file while still being as good quality as possible?

In the past there was an option to compress image size using ms word but that was an older ms word version...the newer word doc doesnt seem to have that option. If they do anyone know how? Thank you.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How do you reduce book file size to make it approved by barnedandnoble? (If your book file size is larger than their limit size which is 5kb or may be 5mb?)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Photopea.com, then open your file and go to file export as a JPG. Reduce quality slider until size is just under 2MB, then export and upload.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

Install Gimp.org software and edit your image sizes.

There are other how to videos on youtube for Gimp, I just grabbed one of the first ones on image file sizing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk3BP8vzPdY

You'll also want to adjust file sizes on Amazon ... they used to charge (subtract from earnings) for data transfer/storage based on file size and some high selling authors saw thousands of dollars in file size costs (most often due to cover images for otherwise text novels).

·
Registered
21 Posts
There's also an option in Calibre's editor that allows you to losslessly compress images.

I think Calibre's editor only works on epub and azw3, though.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you are creating your book in WORD, then yes you need to replace each image manually with a smaller file-size version, one-by-one to reduce your overall file size. Most folks do often use images that are way too big to be used by Kindle/other ereaders. Kindle will generall re-size anything wider than 600 pixels wide when the page is displayed...so if it is bigger than that the extra size is wasted space (and means a larger download fee subtracted from your royalty).

But you can use the Freeware IRFAN VIEW to batch convert all your images much easier than doing them one by one. Put them all in a folder, then use the batch processing menu to select them all and then reduce the physical dimension is no wider than 600 px. AND reduce the DPI to 96. You can then select the percentage setting for the amount of JPG compression you want...I find that 80-85% is unnoticeable in most cases. Experiment to see how it works for you. Then as mentioned above you go thru your word doc and replace the big images with the now'optimized ones'.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Diamond Eyes said:
Try dropping the image files in an online image compressor then downloading the compressed versions to use in your book. These can usually reduce the file sizes without lowering the image quality.

https://tinypng.com/
https://imagecompressor.com/
This. Or Pixlr. I have MS Picture Manager and often use it to compress images without losing quality. Just change the size and when I save, it's much smaller than what I get with Photoshop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts