Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's always hard to separate work and life when self-employed, but I am having a harder and harder time shifting out of work mode. I don't mind thinking about my WIP while I'm at the gym or watching TV, but I very much mind thinking about sales and marketing and why I'm not succeeding hard or fast enough when I'm trying to relax.

How do you turn off your writing/business brain to relax?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I have a schedule and I'm OCD about it. Wake up around 11 (I'm a night person), write till around 4 and that's it. After that it's the gym and then whatever. The schedule keeps me in check.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I've always been a bad procrastinator, but when I get hooked into a project, I don't let go til it bleeds. I'm an Aquarius. So yeah.

When I started writing, I started doing 5k/day easy.
What I haven't done well since then is STOP writing at the end of the day.
Even if I go play a video game or read, I'm thinking about my manuscript.
My wife and I are talking about our books all the time.
I'm hoping once we get our first books finished we can relax and believe that we can do this and we're not just kidding ourselves, and then maybe I can shut down better at the end of the day.

Who knows. Maybe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
JV said:
I have a schedule and I'm OCD about it. Wake up around 11 (I'm a night person), write till around 4 and that's it. After that it's the gym and then whatever. The schedule keeps me in check.
Not to step on any toes here, especially since I'm new and all, but can I please request that terms such as OCD aren't thrown around in a willy-nilly sort of fashion? Obsessive compulsive disorder is not synonymous with quirky, pedantic, rigid, rule-bound and the like. It's actually a genuine mental health condition. The World Health Organisation list it in the top 10 most debilitating illnesses of any kind, in terms of quality of life and loss of potential earnings. I'm not meaning to pick on you here - it's just the second time I've seen it used on Kboards as a throw-away term today (the other time wasn't you - I just can't find it) and it's a little frustrating.

And so as not to completely derail the thread - I shift out of work mode by having so many other things that need to be done, other than writing or marketing, that I just have to focus on them sometimes instead.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Adam Croft said:
I don't. It's what I enjoy and what relaxes me, so I'm kinda happy to be switched on 24/7.
This. If I'm not consciously thinking about writing, the business, craft, etc., the subconscious is cranking away at some problem or possibility. Indie publishing is, as near as I can tell, ideally a lifestyle, not a job. If I ever felt it was turning into a job, I'd lose the passion for it.

Don't think of switching it off as much as turning down the volume.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Woke up a few nights ago because the baby was crying, then lay in bed for an hour and a half thinking about my marketing budget.
When you have a solution, let me know...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I browse the internet looking for interesting stuff.

Other than that, I work until I burn out and never want to do anything ever again. I don't particularly recommend that approach though.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Arshness said:
I've always been a bad procrastinator, but when I get hooked into a project, I don't let go til it bleeds. I'm an Aquarius. So yeah.
Perchance is that a Corey Taylor quote in there? Just curious. :D

/OT: Like quite a few others, apparently, work mode will only switch off when I'm asleep. Sometimes not even then. I guess it's good to know I'm not alone... :p

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
yo said:
Not to step on any toes here, especially since I'm new and all, but can I please request that terms such as OCD aren't thrown around in a willy-nilly sort of fashion? Obsessive compulsive disorder is not synonymous with quirky, pedantic, rigid, rule-bound and the like. It's actually a genuine mental health condition. The World Health Organisation list it in the top 10 most debilitating illnesses of any kind, in terms of quality of life and loss of potential earnings. I'm not meaning to pick on you here - it's just the second time I've seen it used on Kboards as a throw-away term today (the other time wasn't you - I just can't find it) and it's a little frustrating.

And so as not to completely derail the thread - I shift out of work mode by having so many other things that need to be done, other than writing or marketing, that I just have to focus on them sometimes instead.
Well since you haven't been around, please don't assume that I'm throwing them around. I'm clinically diagnosed OCD, among many other things, no, I'm not being sarcastic.

I

·
0 Posts
There are people who can compartmentalize and those who can't.

If you are the sort of person who can compartmentalize, then the advice earlier of keeping a fixed schedule will work like magic. It'll train your mind and body to switch. Note: It's very important to CHANGE the surroundings and your body posture etc. when you want to switch out. So take a walk or just walk around the room or lie down. Assume a physical position completely different from the one you use when writing. Same for mentally.

A small thing like one of those exercise balls or a rubik's cube will also help you defocus.

If you can't decompartanlize, and some people can't then try doing two things at the same time - that drowns out ideas. However, it's not a good long term solution as it really messes up your ability to focus on one thing.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I walk down to the beach and watch the fish jump.  Just watching somebody/something else doing something completely different quickly gets me out of work mode. 

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
JV said:
I aspire to this level :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I read lighthearted fiction. I find it's smack in the middle of working and playing, and perfectly appropriate to decompress.

·
Registered
262 Posts
JV said:
Same. Wake up late morning, check up on my Etsy sales and maybe add a few more listings. I usually finish that around noon, and then I start checking on my Amazon sales and do whatever promotions/blog posts/anything else that needs to get done. Between whenever I finish that and about 9pm is me time. I work on my crafts while I watch my YouTube subs. Then 9pm is when I start writing until I hit my 2am wall. Sometimes I manage to make it until around 4am, if I've really hit a good stride.

I do this nearly every day. If I'm in that grey area between releasing a title and starting a new one, I usually take a few days to just chill, and replace writing time with more crafts. But me-time is me-time, and all I'm worried about then is counting stitches.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts