Kindle Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Thanks for asking this question.  In formulating my answer, I realized I was nearing the end of the book and dawdling instead of racing.  That made me ask why, and that made me realize I'm not racing to the finish because I need a couple more pieces of plot for it all to fall into place. I figured out those in about 20 minutes. 

In short, by asking this question you probably will speed up my ms completion by a week or two. I can't just let the characters figure it out because often enough they don't know what's going on until I've forced myself to write 60-80 pages of plot that goes in the wrong direction.

I'd say your speed means you are going in the right direction. Finish. Wait. Edit/fix.

And thanks again for asking your question!  My characters appreciate it!

Your Pal,

Li

I think it can lend some energy and urgency to the ending, racing to the finish. Properly edited, of course.

I had someone complain that I got bored and rushed to finish Pageburner. It's 550 printed pages...

There is always a rush to finish a novel when the resolution is right around the corner. Personally, my writing speed always increases as my book nears its end. My editor will invariably make recommendations when I cut corners to finish a novel. They usually involve adding more meat to the bones of the last chapter or two.

jasonzc said:
I think it can lend some energy and urgency to the ending, racing to the finish. Properly edited, of course.
Yeah, depends on the genre maybe, but in sci-fi, fantasy, and thrillers, which is basically all I read in fiction, adding a bunch of setting description at the end would tick me off. I kinda have a nose for blood by then and I want to know how it ends. Of course, I'm not the most patient reader.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.