Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out how free promotions (not perma-free) used to work, so I can better understand the consequences of Amazon's new rules. It seems to me there are two ways free ebooks used to help authors promote:

(1) Amazon counts free downloads as a fraction of a sale. So if a lot of people download your books, even if no one reads them, your book is ranked higher on Amazon, leading to increased visibility on Amazon, and so higher paid sales after the free period ends.

(2) Your book is read by some fraction of the people who downloaded it for free, who then tell others about it. So more people go to Amazon looking for specifically for your book.

My sense, based on what I'm hearing, is that it's mostly (1) and very little (2). Is that true?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
Ben Mathew said:
I'm trying to figure out how free promotions (not perma-free) used to work, so I can better understand the consequences of Amazon's new rules. It seems to me there are two ways free ebooks used to help authors promote:

(1) Amazon counts free downloads as a fraction of a sale. So if a lot of people download your books, even if no one reads them, your book is ranked higher on Amazon, leading to increased visibility on Amazon, and so higher paid sales after the free period ends.

(2) Your book is read by some fraction of the people who downloaded it for free, who then tell others about it. So more people go to Amazon looking for specifically for your book.

My sense, based on what I'm hearing, is that it's mostly (1) and very little (2). Is that true?
(3) You end up on the also-bought, also-viewed lists of other books, which increases your discoverability.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ElisaBlaisdell said:
(3) You end up on the also-bought, also-viewed lists of other books, which increases your discoverability.
So this would clearly increase within-Amazon discoverability, contributing to an Amazon sales bump.

Does a Select free run give you a bounce outside of Amazon: i.e. paid sales at Barnes and Noble & Kobo also rise following a Select free run? This would suggest to me that (2) is also happening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,258 Posts
If your book is in Select, your book is not on Barnes and Noble, Kobo, etc.

However, if you go free by price matching, your book is also free on another site. And yes, if that happens, I do see a bump in sales coming off free over there, but not as large of a bump as I had seen at Amazon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Victorine said:
If your book is in Select, your book is not on Barnes and Noble, Kobo, etc.

However, if you go free by price matching, your book is also free on another site. And yes, if that happens, I do see a bump in sales coming off free over there, but not as large of a bump as I had seen at Amazon.
Oh right. Forgot that little detail about select!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top