Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry for asking such a dumb question...but on the "manage your kindle" page on amazon there is a blank space for my kindle's email address.  Does amazon give my kindle an email address when it ships?   (I do not have a K1 and am waiting for my K2 to arrive, so I am a bit clueless)

I have some books on fictionwise.com that I would like to put on my new kindle when it arrives and part of this instructions for that include getting your kindle's email and registering it on fictionwise so they can email the books directly to the kindle.

thanks in advance!
Jenn

·
Registered
417 Posts
My memory is fuzzy but I'm pretty sure amazon gave me one. You have the option of changing it too if you want.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kimmy!  I sort of thought that is what was going to happen, but they don't really tell you that anywhere in the instructions!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Go to Account -> Manager your Kindle

There is a section called 'Your Kindle(s)' which lists kindle machine and email addresses.  You can Edit Info, change it's name and it's email address if you want to, as well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leslie--thanks, that's good to know.  I wondered what would happen if you picked an address already in use.

Kimmy--the pooping pony cracks me up, too.  My own horse is something of a comedian himself, so it just fits me!   

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
they'll give you a default address but you can change it to whatever you like as I recall.  You can change the name of your kindle frequently, but the e-mail address says the same.

Ann

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not so.  You can change both the name and e-mail at a whim -- via the method I posted above -- and do it as often as you like; however, it will always be @Kindle.com

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
V said:
Not so. You can change both the name and e-mail at a whim -- via the method I posted above -- and do it as often as you like; however, it will always be @Kindle.com
True. . .what I was trying to communicate and clearly failed :D is that the two are both tied to your amazon account but not to each other. So you can change the name but not the e-mail address, or vice versa.

Ann

·
Registered
80 Posts
Okay now how in the heck do you check this e-mail address? Does it go straight to your kindle the next time you put whispernet on? ??? Just asking

·
Registered
126 Posts
krissynae said:
Okay now how in the heck do you check this e-mail address? Does it go straight to your kindle the next time you put whispernet on?
There are two ways to do it. The first involves brownies, a plucked chicken, a man named "Montigua" from Nigeria, and an honest politician. The other involves just turning whispernet on.

Personally, I usually opt for the latter method.

·
Registered
493 Posts
V said:
There are two ways to do it. The first involves brownies, a plucked chicken, a man named "Montigua" from Nigeria, and an honest politician. The other involves just turning whispernet on.

LOL

I wouldn't mind a video demo of the first one.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
krissynae said:
Okay now how in the heck do you check this e-mail address? Does it go straight to your kindle the next time you put whispernet on? ??? Just asking
The Kindle's email address isn't for actually getting email. It's only to send documents to your Kindle. The content you want on the Kindle must be attached to the email, and it must come from an address that you have approved (through Manage Your Kindle on amazon).

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
V said:

The brownies are good but since it's impossible to find an honest politician you have to use the whispernet option.

·
Registered
80 Posts
V said:

I think I did meet an honest politician once... Or was that a dream... Do store bought brownies work??? And does this have to be in the full moon or cresant.

Thank you for the great laugh. All of you guys have been helpful.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Another dumb question-it costs 10 cents per attachment right? And there's no way to get a document on the kindle other than sending it by attachment?

i would love to get some of my school notes on here, but don't really wanna give up all that money that I could be spending on books...

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
gigglebox1231 said:
Another dumb question-it costs 10 cents per attachment right?
No one here has verified that they have ever been charged...

There are several programs available that can convert different document types....

Calibre... MobiPocket Creator... Stanza.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts