Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... to the average Kindle user?

I'm still new to this forum, but over the last week i've been reading quite a number of threads.  I have the K2 scheduled to be delivered on the 25th and this will be the first Kindle I own.

I have noticed from the members of this board an overwhelming excitement.  It's not just a frenzy over the new product version being released, but an almost spastic love over the Kindle itself.  Can this eink thing really be that great?  :D

How representative are the members here of the general Kindle-owning population as a whole?  Are the people here simply the enthusiastic minority or do all Kindle owners have this, "Kindle fever"?

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
IMHO we're all book loving folks who have a general excitement for a lot of things in life.  The fact that the Kindle has come along to make our book toting easier, all the more reason to be excited. 

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I think the fact that we bothered to join a Forum designed for Kindle Users probably reflects that we are, on average, more enthusiastic than the average Kindle user.  Or at least more on line. . . .:)

And I don't know any Kindle users in person so I can't evaluate their level of excitement/additctionobsession with the device.  However, I will note that my Pastor checked out my Kindle 1 a couple of times and baed on that has ordered the K2. . .he has been sending me e-mails over the last few days as he's done even more research and has upgraded his shipping as he decided he couldn't wait until March. . . he's now expecting it this week with all of you.

I have heard one or two stories of people who got one, bought it or received as a gift, and decided it wasn't for them. . . .sold it or gave it away.

So. . . no real answer to your question. . . . :)

Ann

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
I have heard one or two stories of people who got one, bought it or received as a gift, and decided it wasn't for them. . . .sold it or gave it away.

Ann
Next you'll be telling me the Loch Ness Monster is real.

I don't believe it, I don't believe it! :D

(May I have mine now? Please.)

B

·
0 Posts
ChrisIsBored said:
... to the average Kindle user?

I'm still new to this forum, but over the last week i've been reading quite a number of threads. I have the K2 scheduled to be delivered on the 25th and this will be the first Kindle I own.

I have noticed from the members of this board an overwhelming excitement. It's not just a frenzy over the new product version being released, but an almost spastic love over the Kindle itself. Can this eink thing really be that great? :D

How representative are the members here of the general Kindle-owning population as a whole? Are the people here simply the enthusiastic minority or do all Kindle owners have this, "Kindle fever"?
I have met four other Kindle owners here in town, and I'm the only one of them who posts here. I'm also a lot less spasticly adoring of my Kindle than most folks here.

Take that as you will.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
What do you think Douglas Adams would think of the Kindle?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hi!  I am relatively new here as well....gave in waiting for Amazon and took the plunge to get a slightly used K1 about 3 weeks ago from eBay.  I do not regret my decision as I am totally happy with the SD card and the replacement battery option.  I do love technology so if K2 really is all that and a bag of chips, I may have to upgrade later....but I think that I will be OK waiting for K3 or later   ;D

As far as your question, I LOVE to read and I LOVE the idea that I can carry all books with me wherever I go.  I already mentioned that I love technology so I am sure that factors into the equation...

You know, I am just learning that a Kindle user can even get some of those "trashy" novels and not feel intimidated reading it on a Kindle since there is no incriminating cover for others to know exactly what you are reading about..... ::)

Just my opinion.... the lady I bought my Sookie from said that her husband received Kindle as a gift, read one book on it and never touched it again.  That makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever, but, I am glad that he did cause I sure loved getting her faster and in such prestine condition!!!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
How do we compare to normal folks. Well, we are smarter, better looking, have a better sense of humor. we are (or were) better athletes, better lovers, have more common sense, have no ego at all, and are just all around nicer and superior people. Does that answer your question.  :)

Steve

·
Registered
154 Posts
"an almost spastic love over the Kindle itself"

Wow.  Welcome, Chris.

Right on, Steve, just what I was thinking. 

Oh, and we're modeling world peace, finding the cure for cancer, and ending global warming.  As well as saving quite a few trees.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LoL!  I love the responses.

I'm an avid reader myself, and more than anything the possibility of not having to haul around boxes upon boxes of books every time I move excited me about the Kindle.

I'm just still a bit shocked at the level of enthusiasm i've seen on this product is all.  I can't say i've owned any other piece of hardware that has been raved in the same way this has.

;D

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Your Kindle is due to arrive this week?

Then prepare to be AMAZED!!!  And please, feel free to tell us all your thoughts on delivery day!  We LOVE that!!!  Believe me, no one in my reality cared when Sookie arrived, but I posted a thread describing it and I have enormous response and support and understanding....

It made me feel special!!  ::)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I love to read, the Kindle makes it much easier to carry a variety of books with me at all times. I have a short daily commute (30min.), but sometimes due to weather or wrecks it takes as much as 90minutes. Pre Kindle, listening to the radio was my only choice. Dr. waiting rooms I am no longer stuck with three month old (or more) magazines I normally watch ten or less hours of TV a month. I read when ever I find opportunity. My only other vices are my tobacco pipe, a few cigars, an occasional bourbon and KIndleBourds

·
Registered
366 Posts
MichelleR said:
What do you think Douglas Adams would think of the Kindle?
I think he would think that it sounds like it's based off of the design of the "Hitchhikers Guide" in his book. Sort of like the Babelfish website.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
The Reader's Guide to the Universe?

For the biography/erotica fans, there's the Mostly Harmless, Somewhat True Story of Eccentrica Gallumbits, The Triple-Breasted Whore of Eroticon Six.

·
Registered
68 Posts
How do we compare to normal folks. Well, we are smarter, better looking, have a better sense of humor. we are (or were) better athletes, better lovers, have more common sense, have no ego at all, and are just all around nicer and superior people. Does that answer your question. Smiley

Steve
I couldn't have expressed it any better. Who knew? :D

Judy

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
MichelleR said:
The Reader's Guide to the Universe?

For the biography/erotica fans, there's the Mostly Harmless, Somewhat True Story of Eccentrica Gallumbits, The Triple-Breasted Whore of Eroticon Six.
Is Trixie Lovejoy in this book?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
stevene9 said:
How do we compare to normal folks. Well, we are smarter, better looking, have a better sense of humor. we are (or were) better athletes, better lovers, have more common sense, have no ego at all, and are just all around nicer and superior people. Does that answer your question. :)

Steve
right on Steve!

I know several kindle owners who are not on here, they are really missing so much ::)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts