Kindle Forum banner

How Does The True Blood Series On HBO Compare To The Books

1K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  mscottwriter 
#1 ·
I love True Blood on HBO and I was wondering how the Sookie Stachhouse books by Charlaine Harris compares. Which is better in your opinion.

#2 ·
I wonder the same thing. I love the HBO series, but haven't read the books. It appears, though, that the books are a lot lighter in tone than the TV show. Normally, I don't like reading anything with vampires werewolves, witches or any other paranormal leanings. Just not my thing. So, under normal circumstances, I wouldn't be compelled to read them.

#4 ·
This is one case in which the TV version is better, in my opinion.

No offense intended to Ms. Harris. She deserves full credit for the inspiration of the HBO series, and I'm not trying to take anything away from her.

I just think the TV version is better because the stories are told better than they are in the books. I think the actors make a HUGE difference. The set designs, the music selection and pretty much everything on the production end makes it so good.

Maybe the books are that good if you haven't seen the HBO series. I don't know. It's just my opinion, based on my experience and that of others I've talked to, that if you see the HBO episodes and then go to the books, you will not find what you're hoping for.

#5 ·
I haven't watched the TV show, so I can't debate which is better, but for those of you on the fence about reading them, I FULLY vouch for the first four of the series. After that, some things happened that I didn't totally dig, but the first four? Amazing. And I heard that the other books (which I own, but haven't gotten to yet) as of late are really good too. I just need to catch up, I suppose.

#7 ·
I started by watching the first season of the show and then just had to read the books, thanks to a major crush on Alexander Skarsgard. Certain character are much better on the show, while a few are better in the book. Also the story line is a little different so it's like two separate plots. I'm with some of the others as far as 1-4. Totally worth it. The others are okay but there is a definite dip in the plot. I just don't think Harris thought they would go on as long as they have. Also it's really less of a Fantasy and more mystery. Each one is basically a mystery with paranormal elements.

#8 ·
This is one case in which the TV version is better, in my opinion.
I agree with this. I have enjoyed the books, but to me, the TV show is much more dramatic. Ms. Harris's books are more lighthearted, and she doesn't develop the tension the way I wish she would. I've read five of her books and will probably continue on reading them, but I think the TV show is more gripping.

(Although, as someone mentioned, it can occassionally be a little over-the-top.)

#9 ·
I've read most of the books (I think I'm up to #7), and just last weekend I got to see my first episodes of True Blood.  I'm on the fence about which is better.  Really, for me, it's hard to compare the two...they're so very different.  I really enjoy the books.  I'm sorta meh on the TV series.  I think a big part of it is that none of the vampires are how I pictured them in my mind.

#11 ·
Tony Richards said:
I like them both, but to me the books and the series are nothing like each other. They've sort of used Charlaine Harris' original scenario as the picture-frame for the TV version, but then put a rather different picture inside of it.
Interesting. I wonder how much she contributes to the writing in the TV series?

#12 ·
I picked up the books after watching the first season of True Blood. I now cannot watch the show because it diverts so horribly from the books. The characters may have the same names, but they took a few too many creative liberties for me to enjoy the show. The books were excellent, until this last one. It seems like Harris is trying to bring the books in line with the show, and it is a definite turn for the worse. While I adore Alexander Skarsgard, they've turned Eric into something he is not in the show.

Love Tony's description of the picture-frame.

#13 ·
I've read all the books except the last two. The last one I read made me wonder whether Ms. Harris had written it. That said, the books have set certain expectations for me in the TV show, so the departures between the two are sometimes strange and annoying, especially a really big one about Bill this season. If I had to choose, I'd have to pick the TV show because it's kept certain characters that I hated to lose in the books. And, as much as I'm Team Bill all way, I really love Alexander Skarsgard's protrayal of Eric this season and I can finally understand why so many fans like him. He's brought a humanity to Eric that never really came across in the book that provides a very loose basis for this season.

#14 ·
I hate to say it but they're fairly equal. Of course, it's oranges and apples if one considers how different the two mediums are from each other. That said, the "flavor" of the books has carried over nicely into the series. They have Eric totally "nailed!" If you haven't read the books...you should read those too. Terrific!

#15 ·
When I used to work in book shops I did hear quite a few people say that the TV series was better than the books. I've not delved into either, but the opinion from customers seemed pretty unanimous - not that they were saying the books were bad. It was just a little unusal, as books seem to usually be better than their adaptions.

#17 ·
I purchased the set of the ebooks. My husband has started on the first one in the series and told me last night he didn't know if he was going to enjoy reading it because it was going pretty much by the first show that was on tv and we have watched all of them so far. I told him I thought it would probably change on in the book because of what I have read on hear about the differences between the two. I appreciate all your comments.

#18 ·
Interesting. I wonder how much she contributes to the writing in the TV series?
I've often wondered that myself.

I think I like the TV show better because it is so much darker than the books (imho). I also think they do a nice job with the subplots. I like that the TV show isn't only about Sookie. I know that the books aren't just about her, either, but because of the first person POV, she pretty much has to be in every scene.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.