Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'm going to ask it again anyway...

How durable is the Kindle? I'm not going to purposely drop it or anything, but do I have to be like over obsessive about it??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Jamielove21 said:
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'm going to ask it again anyway...

How durable is the Kindle? I'm not going to purposely drop it or anything, but do I have to be like over obsessive about it??

Thanks!!
I don't think it has been asked before... How would we find out?

I would not recommend sitting on it, or using it to play fetch with my dog. I treat it a little more, but not much, delicately than I do my cell phone or i-pod. Get a case for it and that should be plenty of protection except for throwing it out a moving car etc...

Eric

·
Registered
1 Posts
The day after I received my Kindle I was trying to take a photo of one of the new screensavers and dropped my camera square on the screen from about a foot up.

Not even a scratch.

whew!!!!  CLOSE call.

·
Super Moderator
67,387 Posts
And you have a strong heart too. . . .because many of us here would have had needed resuscitation after something like that! 

Ann

·
Registered
40 Posts
Give me a month or two and I'll get back to you (if I don't leave this board altogether by then, which is under consideration).  I am horribly hard on electronics due in part to all of my travel and the fact that I'm fairly clumsy.  I'm on my FIFTH cell phone in 13 months right now.  This is the reason I refuse to buy an iPhone, though I'd like to have one.  I once dropped a 80 GB 5th Gen iPod from about 100 ft up on a scaffold at a power plant.  THAT was an expensive mistake.  Needless to say, I bought the 3 year SquareTrade Warranty with AD protection.  I'm sure if my Kindle2 is going to break, it won't take me long.

Jonathan

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Lots of people seem to forget they laid it down on the bed and then crush the screen with their knee.... Definitely keep your Kindle off surfaces where people sit.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Good question... all Amazon's drop test shows is that the Kindle has the ability to be dropped, no word on whether it works afterward!

I am pretty paranoid with mine because I don't have a cover yet, just a soft case, plus I'm a klutz.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, I had a dream I dropped my Kindle from a hot air balloon to a parking lot below...and when I awoke from the dream, it was perfectly fine!  ;)

·
Registered
723 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
Lots of people seem to forget they laid it down on the bed and then crush the screen with their knee.... Definitely keep your Kindle off surfaces where people sit.
Or where assorted pets (esp larger dogs) might jump to.

So my K2 now goes on my nightstand, on the coffee table, or on one of two desk surfaces.
In the truck is a bit harder to protect in such a manner so mostly it is in the case and then in a bag/briefcase.

I am more paranoid of leaving it somewhere than breaking it though...

EL

·
Registered
599 Posts
Trekker said:
I know...I had to laugh at that. I think most of us understand the force of gravity, just what was their drop test supposed to prove? ;D
That everything looks cooler in slow-mo. :D

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
stu11926 said:
Give me a month or two and I'll get back to you (if I don't leave this board altogether by then, which is under consideration). I am horribly hard on electronics due in part to all of my travel and the fact that I'm fairly clumsy. I'm on my FIFTH cell phone in 13 months right now. This is the reason I refuse to buy an iPhone, though I'd like to have one. I once dropped a 80 GB 5th Gen iPod from about 100 ft up on a scaffold at a power plant. THAT was an expensive mistake. Needless to say, I bought the 3 year SquareTrade Warranty with AD protection. I'm sure if my Kindle2 is going to break, it won't take me long.

Jonathan
Why are you considering leaving the board?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts